Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #46
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

You think the rear deck lid and centre console could be done?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #47
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
[quote=Sickbimmer;1424249]You think the rear deck lid and centre console could be done?[/QUOTE

Yup! I use 50" wide rolls. A quick measurement of rear deck is around 47" so I can use a single wide piece. I have enough here @ the moment to do both. Then need to order more material.

Had quite a few requests for rear decks. Hadn't thought of that initially. Might do mine as well.
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #48
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Interested in learning about the sanding process and how much time-effort into that part. That's usually the pain in the azz. I use to make quite a few fibreglass custom pieces for audio audio installs that I use to paint or cover in leather/vinyl/etc. The sanding part was alway a dirty dirty job and NOT good on the lungs if you were not wearing a mask. It also took the MOST time. I remember this extended cabin 4x4 I built a fibreglass enclosure rite into the extended cab (inside the truck) and sanded it IN the truck.......... f-ing brutal. Did it outside in the heat of the summer...........

Nice work BTW !!
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #49
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Interested in learning about the sanding process and how much time-effort into that part. That's usually the pain in the azz. I use to make quite a few fibreglass custom pieces for audio audio installs that I use to paint or cover in leather/vinyl/etc. The sanding part was alway a dirty dirty job and NOT good on the lungs if you were not wearing a mask. It also took the MOST time. I remember this extended cabin 4x4 I built a fibreglass enclosure rite into the extended cab (inside the truck) and sanded it IN the truck.......... f-ing brutal. Did it outside in the heat of the summer...........

Nice work BTW !!
Some one who knows my pain!!! Actually, I've invested in a top notch mask, since I've also been painting as well recently (compressor-based; not aresol can) and it has ALOT of fumes/suspended particles. The eary sanding is the worst; cause it's done dry and the fibres get into everything. I wear a mechanics coveralls when I dry sand and a mask. The wet sanding which is done after the epoxy is done, isn't too bad cause there's little "dust" floating around.

You're always welcome to drop by and check it out. Doing a set as we speak. Also found a new use for my industrial dremel tool; it has a flexible extension which i'm finding is perfect for the cutting and grinding tools I'm using..... I'll trade your fibreglass experience (need to "fill gaps" in aftermarket spoiler); for my in CF....

Bill
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #50
nachos23
SweetXi

New Parts I'm wrapping.... Got some time in between wrapping for others to add a couple more pieces to my collection.... So I present (NOT QUITE COMPLETED) Engine ECU Cover and Battery Terminal Cover.... They are ready for final sanding and then clear coating (tomorrow night)....

Also included is a pic of a genuine BMW strut brace being wrapped for someone... wrapping top and bottom and leaving sides original brushed aluminum. Should look AWESOME!....

After these pieces are done, going to tackle the centre console (section that runs between seats) and maybe the mirrors and/or rear licence trim piece (above rear licence (contains tailights).....

H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #51
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Any word on a rear deck covering?
I would be interested in getting mine done, or a swap.....
webb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #52
JINT
5th Gear Member

wow, you're good, i tried this couple times SOOOO much headache, i'd never even think about doing it again.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #53
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb70 View Post
Any word on a rear deck covering?
I would be interested in getting mine done, or a swap.....
Rear deck covering is possible. I need to "pre-treat" the deck by covering it in a layer of epoxy providing it a flat surface to adhere to.....

Got another rear deck to do as well.... Let me know as I'm going to be ordering new cloth shortly...

PM me and we can discuss.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #54
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
wow, you're good, i tried this couple times SOOOO much headache, i'd never even think about doing it again.
Well, I'm here to the rescue then.... Send me your pain (I mean parts) and I'll wrap them..... LOL With each set I discover better ways of doing a process.... Dremel tool for instance has a long rubber flexible attachment to use for precise work; not used when I originally bought for drywall and reconstruction; now the PERFECT tool for grinding and sanding bits used for finishing...... Outline my cuts with painter's tape now to keep cloth from shfting and stop fraying of the pieces.... all stuff learned along the way and reviewing each project for ways to improve.....

Going to explore vacuum wrapping for moire complicated parts....

A real car does have 3 pedals; gas, brake and a dead pedal (just ask Ferrari).....
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Last edited by nachos23; 07-13-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #55
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Great work! If the next car i buy has wood grain, i'll bring the parts to you so you can fix the uglyness!

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #56
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Man, you are doing an awesome job Bill! Awesome work!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #57
nachos23
SweetXi

Thanks!!! ACtually getting better with each wrap (unless I wrap when drunk; not a good idea) see the weave on the batt cover/???? It looked good when I was wrapping

Thankfully I didn't start drinking till after the client's work was done. Was bored waiting for it to dry and got an idea , let's wrap some funky parts..... Guess I'm gonna be looking @ that for awhile.....

Thankfully its a small part sorta outta the way......
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #58
nachos23
SweetXi

Actually LIKED the wood grain when I bought the car, but as I started to mod I found the wood grain didn't fit with the direction I was taking the car.......wood grain is my fav to wrap too cause it has a metal backing plate, much easier to work with than the plastic pieces used instaed of woodgrain.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #59
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Really makes me want to get some carbon fiber in my car. Looks hawt!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #60
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Really makes me want to get some carbon fiber in my car. Looks hawt!
You should start with a e30 repair manual first, then worry about carbon fibre, just sayin'

Tags
carbon fibre, customize, e46, skinning, wrapping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: