Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
kprocyk
2nd Gear Member

Classic Car Insurance

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has gone/used an insurance company that specalizes in classic cars, i hear the savings can be considerable, any info as to advice or suggestions on company's is needed and appreciated

Thanks

Kris
kprocyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
blk3
4th Gear Member

lots of the guys at my old work used them. i believe the car has to be at least 20 years old and every year you have to do a vehicle appraisal for the insurance company. plus restrictions like occasional use and blah blah blah. these guys were using silver wheels for all their Fiats, Lancias, Alfas and Ferarris. pretty good rates from what i heard.
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
davericher20
black and blue

Zephyr I think it was called didn't approve me because it was a wagon. But my buddies dad has his 88 corvette insured through them. He pays $180 and can only drive it 6,000 kms per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

I think the previous poster might be thinking of Zehrs.
Silver Wheels told me I needed to always have my car parked in a garage, which I don't have.
I went with Zehrs instead.
Norm Mort is a good appraiser in midwestern Ontario.
Savings are definitely considerable.
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

So my 87' E30 can go under classic car insurance? Except it's going to be a daily though.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
davericher20
black and blue

yes, thank you Zehrs insurance

Steve, yes you can but limited kms, they told me 6,000kms/year maximum

Quote:
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

insurance fraud anyone?

the e30 instrument cluster comes out in 5 minutes and they don't have scanable ecus... lol
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
I'd like to see a classic insurance company insure anyone under 25. If there is a such thing, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a tootsie roll lol

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
the e30 instrument cluster comes out in 5 minutes and they don't have scanable ecus... lol
I like where you're going with this......

Quote:
Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

i just been through this with my 911 this week....if you call Lant insurance brokers....they have 2 types of insurance:

1) Silver wheel plan- car 20+ years old
2) Custom wheel plan- THIS IS THE ONE TO LOOK AT -new last year

All the details are on their website and just for the record nobody ever follows up with how many kms you ever drive- they say your car should only be used for "cars shows" guess what there is one every night of the week in GTA.....
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupedup View Post
i just been through this with my 911 this week....if you call Lant insurance brokers....they have 2 types of insurance:

1) Silver wheel plan- car 20+ years old
2) Custom wheel plan- THIS IS THE ONE TO LOOK AT -new last year

All the details are on their website and just for the record nobody ever follows up with how many kms you ever drive- they say your car should only be used for "cars shows" guess what there is one every night of the week in GTA.....
The info I have on both of these plans is from 2007 (however both have been around longer, maybe revised last year? )

Silver wheel has 2 sub categories:
-Antique and Classic 25 yrs old +
-Special interest 15-24 yrs old

Custom wheel is for vehicles 15 yrs +

Both plans excluded regular transportation and require: an appraisal (current within 18 months), that you have another vehicle insured for your daily use, and have "10 years of continuous driving experience".

We recently picked up a contract with a company called Hagerty Insurance (Hagerty's bragging right is that they insure Jay Leno's fleet). They offer a very similar plan however their policy is on an agreed value basis so, no appraisal required, just 4 good photos. Garage storage is ideal, but not required. However, you still need 10 yrs driving experience and a regular use vehicle.

I ran a quick quote for a 73 Nova (value $10K) and in stock form it would be $210/yr. If modified, the rate jumps to $350/yr.

These special plans aren't your only option for a modified car. Depending on the modifications, I have regular insurance companies who will allow commute use but the premiums would reflect a standard policy.

FYI- Industry standard for specialty/limited use vehicles is 4000km annually. If you exceed that, they may recommend you place coverage with a standard insurance company.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
davericher20
black and blue

Just called Lant and they said the kms were too high on my car, they only look at 150-160,000km vehicles for that period.
But she gave me Zehrs number and I told her they wouldn't cover me because it was a wagon.......she said to send her the appraisal lol.
I'm gonna try Hagerty now.
edit: They are in the states but have insurance brokers here, she gave me a couple of companies which one I couldn't get ahold of, and another gave me a quote of $330/year no questions asked. BUt I wanted to have an updated appraisal so when i get that I will be calling them.
Gonna try another one.

Quote:

Last edited by davericher20; 05-28-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Smitty
4th Gear Member

I looked at a variety of classic insurance options last year. Lant wouldn't touch me due to my age (27). The best option I found was with Zehr (underwritten by Echelon). They offered rates similar to those advertised by Lant but with more generous mileage allowances.

I ultimately decided to go with regular insurance as I did not want any restrictions on my driving. My 02 costs less to insure (with more coverage) than my E30 and I don't have to worry about mileage limits or time-of-use strictures (i.e., can't drive the car to work -- come on!).

For the record, I'm with TD Meloche Monnex for both cars. With the alumni discount (they're aligned with many Canadian alumni associations and can place you on a group policy), they saved me about $600 per car. If you graduated from a Canadian university, you likely qualify for big savings.

Last edited by Smitty; 05-28-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
uber e36
6th Gear Member

I have a 48 pickup truck. Looked at Lant (Silver Wheels) but went with Eschelon (sp) after hearing bad feedback about Lant.
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Well I can get classic car insurance with my vehicle (I'm 22 years old). Only thing is that I need to go under my parents policy for a month before they can do the insurance on the car since I haven't been driving for a year (decided not to drive because insurance would rape me because of speeding tickets ect.). So now the broker is having a hard time finding daily driver insurance for a 23 year old car..... so no I'm stuck in limbo because either my car has too high mileage or I need a daily driver. This sucks ass =\ Anyone else have insurance for a older car? I have no clue why my parents insurance broker can't find any policy for my car =\

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: