Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

E30 Turbo Kit

Did quite a bit of searching and found this turbo kit that runs at 8psi on stock internals and stock fuel system and the lot.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=TOKT

Just wondering what others think about this kit? It looks almost too good to be true. But it just might be that I'm tired because my eyes hurt from reading for 3 hrs searching for a turbo kit so my dumba$$ self can't mess it up really. I would change the injectors and the whole deal over time but a direct bolt on kit seems to be a better idea for the time being.

P.S. Just clicked on the side link under the turbo kit section to the left. Click on BMW and they have a lot of E30 kits. So, yea... I guess any input would be nice =D

Last edited by HavocSteve; 05-13-2010 at 12:35 AM.
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

normally with cheap turbo kits, your guaranteed leaks. By that I mean boost leak.
I didnt look at the kit but I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpec_92 View Post
normally with cheap turbo kits, your guaranteed leaks. By that I mean boost leak.
I didnt look at the kit but I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.
Well it doesn't look cheap at 2k for the complete system. But I was looking at just the turbo and the intercooler. I'm not really a DIY with engine components so this seemed like the right root so I wouldn't get myself into a lot of trouble. It looks nice but just wondering if maybe someone tried out a kit and had success or just to give me a smack and say "back the **** up off this kit". Turbo's seem scary when they can mess up your engine.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

lol
ive been looking at kits for a while, and its hard to get a real bang for you buck, for a DIY, im not sure f its the best idea because you will require tuning. I cant remember who it is but there is a member on here who has some very useful info

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
The CXracing kit is boarder-line decent for okayish turbo kit, It does incl. e30 specfic exhaust and charge piping and has some decent components. Personally I would buy higher quality turbo feed/drain lines and not use that chinacharger but instead a Holset H1C or HX35. What standalone/tuning method you use though is what will make or break the kit.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Well the thing is.. I'm just looking for some moderate boost. I only want to get like 5-10psi range. Just enough to tease me and please me, but not enough to get me in trouble. I just want to pull away from the Honda and Cavalier kids in Oshawa. There are some nice 180sx and VW's that I've seen, that just pull like mad. But the Honda and Cavalier kids are just stupid. My neighbor down the street drives a auto Cav. and has this HUGE muffler and it sounds like someone is crapping themselves going down the street. Absolutely retarded. At least the BMW will sound like a real car.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Well the thing is.. I'm just looking for some moderate boost. I only want to get like 5-10psi range. Just enough to tease me and please me, but not enough to get me in trouble. I just want to pull away from the Honda and Cavalier kids in Oshawa. There are some nice 180sx and VW's that I've seen, that just pull like mad. But the Honda and Cavalier kids are just stupid. My neighbor down the street drives a auto Cav. and has this HUGE muffler and it sounds like someone is crapping themselves going down the street. Absolutely retarded. At least the BMW will sound like a real car.
5psi is not enough, enough to beat a cavs and civics, but not enough. My car is only at 5psi right now until I fix up a number of things, but it's definitely not enough ... so yeah shoot for 10psi

My car has a similar cheap turbo for now, the v-band on the exhaust is a bit leaky, but w.e I minus well run it run for a while. I plan on going with an HX35 like e30_kid89 mentioned and a stand alone engine management eventually so I can haz more
boostz

edit: also keep an eye out on the for sale section on e30tech (I recommend signing up there if you're not already a member) because there's regularly peoples turbo set-ups and turbo parts for sale there http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93323

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 05-13-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

edit: Either you posted the wrong link, or someone else saw this one and thought it was the link you posted. Anyway, at the bare minimum you'd want this kit:

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

I bet that with another $1000 (some for the 'intangibles' and $600 for a DIYPnP Megasquirt unit) you could have a successfully turbo'd car with this package.

But really, if you feel the need to pull away from the Honda kids just buy a faster car. Learn to ignore that shit.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
///Maluco
5erholic

I've experienced a TCD turbo kit on an E28, E24, and E30 and it hauls arse. Todd is also very supportive!

www.turbochargingdynamics.com

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
everlast

Keep in mind all the things you need to do to:

- possible upgraded clutch and new guibo
- ensure that every bushing is in good condition
- brake (hardlines, softlines, rotors, pads) are adequate for the upped HP

In TCD's case, I think you need a complete exhaust system from the DP back.

Doubling the WHP on an E30 is stupid fun, but it sure can get expensive. For the OP who didn't want to invest $150 in a cheap welder, honestly buying a faster car would be cheaper.

Get a beat up E39 540i for $5K and kick the Honda kids asses.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Only reason why I don't want to invest the 150$ is because its going to new brakes. I'm not worried about the braking system. Btw.. I got a welder from my next door neighbor lol. I'm going to redo the brake lines this weekend and completely make sure they are 100% up to snuff. The clutch was redone, another reason why I bought the car. I'm going to be doing the bushing later this summer as I think I'm going to get my rear-end cleaned and get the seals replaced ect. I just want to have fun. I know a turbo can do that for me. Not looking for something retarded but the kit looked alright for stock internals. I would end up changing things over time but if I had the 5grand to get the turbo done properly to run around 20psi then I would just look into an engine swap with a turbo already on it or something a long those lines or even drop a 350 in it and send it to a shop.

Edit : The turbodynamics kits look nice but holy crap! Thinking that the 2grand kit looks better then 5grand >_< man thats a lot of $$

Last edited by HavocSteve; 05-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
everlast

You aren't reading what I'm typing. The 2K "kit" is missing at least $1000 worth of stuff IMO. Plus, its USD, plus shipping to Canada. Plus, the TCD kit is $3,875.00 not $5K.

You couldn't do a 20psi setup for $5K. You're grossly underestimating the costs involved. Factor at least $3K for any 8 psi+ turbo setup.

Honestly, an M50 swap might be a lot more bang for the buck for you, plus its less technically risky. M50 swaps really move, plus you can do cheap headers / chip / intake / big exhaust at your leisure. I think there are lots of M50 swap guys here who could help too!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
everlast

That all said... I used a modified TD manifold with an adapter for the WG, welded all the exhause myself with the purchase of a gas mig and am running a strong 10psi. But I was well over $4K for just turbo stuff after everything is factored in I'm sure. Honestly, I stopped counting.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Yea, I noticed it was more like 4k when I re-looked. I like the sounds of the m50 swap, but it seems like a lot of hassle to make sure the engine your getting even runs properly ect. I know my m20 engine is still game and has lots of life to go, only reason why a turbo was looking nice. Hmm.. I'll have to do some more research on the m50 swap then.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
everlast

I haven't done a swap, but from what I've seen an M50 swap with the right parts is very straight forward. A turbo setup is the opposite, LOTS of hassles, lots of nitty little details, with solutions that tend to be unique to each setup. M50 swap looks less of a hassle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: