Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
540iM
2nd Gear Member

Finally got a new car but lost my Lisence

I finally bought my self a second car (for those who were following http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130940). It's a 2003 C32 AMG - 350HP. On my way back home from Toronto while driving the little monster, I was allegedly clocked at 148 km/h in an 80 km/h zone. For those who are familiar with section 172 of the Highway act, it means that my life is over.... my liscense was taken away from me and the car was impounded immediately. If convicted I'd be looking at up to $10,000 in fines, up to 6 months in jail time, up to two years in license suspension and may be rejected from any insurance company as this will stay on me record for the next 10 years. This is in addition to the towing and impound fees over a 7 day period.

I'm not going to make any execuses but I was passing two cars on highway 7 where there is only one lane going east. I underestimated the power of the C32 and in a blink of an eye I was allegedly going 148 km/h. I say allegedly because I have no idea how fast I was going when I was passing.

Perhaps the one thing that really got to me is my wife who was waiting for my safe return home on such a windy day (Saturday May 8). My cell phone had no power so the OPP officer (or dispatch) made the call to my wife. When the caller identified themselves as "this is the Ontario Provincial Police, we are calling regarding your husband", my wife almost fainted. I did not know this until I got home... seeing my wife in tears holding my almost two-years old daughter. Imagine the thoughts that were going through her head one day prior to mothers' day. I hate speedsters, stunt drivers and I'm a mature, well-educated man who understands the consequences of speeding. Even if I'm not this man, the sight I came to see when I got home will forever be a reminder of the consequences. No fine, suspension, or jail time will ever teach such a lesson!

I had hoped that this post would be a cheerful post with pictures of the C32, but unfortunately, here I sit writing a post about an incident that may have dire consequences.

I will of course fight this using professional help. My court date is June 22 (on my daughter's two-year B-day).
540iM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Ouch.

Good luck with the court date.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
gervs
2nd Gear Member

wow... good luck. I really hope you can fight it, because unlike idiots driving full out at over 50, you were passing. I've been in the situation where I was passing and looked down to see myself doing 50 over, then slow back down to my usual 10-15 over cruise control setting, luckily never been caught at that speed but I can relate to your situation.

What is annoying about this especially is that what you did is by far safer than some idiots I see trying to pass someone doing 80, while they do 81, and then having to cut the guy off to get back in the lane on time.

Honestly, good luck and hope the fam is doing better!... I still would like to see pics, maybe post them in a new thread.
gervs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iM View Post
"My cell phone had no power so the OPP officer (or dispatch) made the call to my wife."

"I will of course fight this using professional help. My court date is June 22 (on my daughter's two-year B-day)."

I think everything happens for a reason, maybe those are signs for you!

Good luck in court, lawyer should be able to get you off the charges.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I think everything happens for a reason, maybe those are signs for you!

Good luck in court, lawyer should be able to get you off the charges.
That's right he needs the lawyer that Rahim Jaffer used.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
gervs
2nd Gear Member

and maybe there is hope. If they let her off, maybe you can too.
http://blog.legalaction.ca/granny&#3...onstitutional/
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Oh snap dude..
Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
540iM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gervs View Post
http://blog.legalaction.ca/granny%E2...onstitutional/
"Griffin's ruling does not encroach upon the OPP's ability to nab and charge reckless street racers. It just means convicting someone on excessive speed alone as in Raham's case is now unconstitutional.

However, OPP officers are still going to hand out stunt-driving tickets and the Ministry of the Attorney General is planning an appeal.

"Our position is that the street-racing provisions are constitutional and that they are an important public safety initiative," ministry spokesman Brendan Crawley said.

"We will be seeking leave to appeal the decision of the Ontario Court of Justice. In the interim, people should understand that the street-racing provisions are still in effect and police can still lay charges."

James Morton, a lawyer who is past president of the Ontario Bar Association, said the ruling is "important across the province" and noted it is binding on all Justices of the Peace, though not on Ontario Court judges.

But he said the Crown should have fought harder.

"The statute could have been upheld under Section 1 of the Charter that talks about a reasonable limit in a free and democratic society," Morton said. "But for reasons I'm unaware of, the Crown conceded that it could not be so upheld. And I thought that was surprising."
Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
chromius
6th Gear Member

That sucks man. I hope you fight this to the bitter end, because this unconstitutional law is just so wrong on so many levels.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Sorry to hear about your drive home, that is bad luck.
Goodluck with the court date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gervs View Post
http://blog.legalaction.ca/granny&#3...onstitutional/
Yea but she didn't get off, they appealed her case.

http://fightyourtickets.ca/court-of-...or-jane-raham/

Apparently she will have a new trail.
Where im sure that judge has been spoken to by the higher ups.....so there is no way she is getting off. Hopefully that case makes the news also.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Best of luck and fight like hell.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Ouch, sorry to hear about that.
Best of luck in court!

ps, is that the AMG I showed you? If so, you owe me a coffee!
JK

But seriously, I wish you best of luck in everything.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
gervs
2nd Gear Member

lol, I think you owe him a coffee zarbat
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
540iM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear about that.
Best of luck in court!

ps, is that the AMG I showed you? If so, you owe me a coffee!
JK

But seriously, I wish you best of luck in everything.
Yes it's the AMG you showed me. You don't deserve a cup of coffee, you deserve a kick where the sun don't shine JK

This car is nothing but trouble...I should have bought a bimmer. I honestly wouldn't trade my 540 for two C32s... alot of people may not agree.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iM View Post
Yes it's the AMG you showed me. You don't deserve a cup of coffee, you deserve a kick where the sun don't shine JK

This car is nothing but trouble...I should have bought a bimmer. I honestly wouldn't trade my 540 for two C32s... alot of people may not agree.
Well, I wasn't the one having too much fun with the car.

What you mean the car is nothing but trouble? Are you referring to just the OPP encounter or its giving you other problems already?
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: