Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #31
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

How long did this build take? That engine looks killer and probably scares most people because the car looks stock. Gotta love a sleeper! Pull up to a punk in a honda and just leave him some tread marks lol.
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #32
ryan_george
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
How long did this build take? That engine looks killer and probably scares most people because the car looks stock. Gotta love a sleeper! Pull up to a punk in a honda and just leave him some tread marks lol.
I'd say it probably took about a year from start to finish. However, I was only working on this a few weekends a month. It wasn't a full-time project.

I've just installed a 3.25:1 LSD and I finally have traction! It's a thing of beauty...
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #33
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Very nice. Also that time frame doesn't seem to long if you only did some weekend jobs to her. Amazing custom fab. work though.

That Hofset turbo is for a cummins engine? I was looking it up on ebay ect.. and it always says cummins. I might get some parts gathered but the turbo I don't want to mess it up.

Also, did you end up getting some new paint and tires and make her look all pretty? If so it would be nice to see the "final" result!
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_george View Post
I'd say it probably took about a year from start to finish. However, I was only working on this a few weekends a month. It wasn't a full-time project.

I've just installed a 3.25:1 LSD and I finally have traction! It's a thing of beauty...
what is that diff out of?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #35
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
e28 e34 535i 635i 533 633...One of those..
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #36
ryan_george
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Very nice. Also that time frame doesn't seem to long if you only did some weekend jobs to her. Amazing custom fab. work though.

That Hofset turbo is for a cummins engine? I was looking it up on ebay ect.. and it always says cummins. I might get some parts gathered but the turbo I don't want to mess it up.

Also, did you end up getting some new paint and tires and make her look all pretty? If so it would be nice to see the "final" result!
Yes, Holset turbos are used on Cummins diesels. There's a lot more discussion and implementation available at e30tech.com.

I've got some new tires to replace the balding ones, but I'm still looking for something a little better. And new paint is over-rated
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #37
ryan_george
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Correct, the diff is from something like this... Not sure exactly what it came off, though.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #38
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Yes, Holset turbos are used on Cummins diesels. There's a lot more discussion and implementation available at e30tech.com.

I've got some new tires to replace the balding ones, but I'm still looking for something a little better. And new paint is over-rated
I just got some Dunlop Direzza Z1 Stars in 215/45R17. They're not horribly expensive (they're not cheap though) and took them to the local track yesterday. They are phenomenal.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #39
DIY
Permanently Dirty

I got a turbo out of a Mazdaspeed 3 i'm thinking about doin something similar, the turbo was designed to run 1 Bar... The work you put in is awesome! are you using 1 bar of boost? Did you have any problems with the MegaSquirt? Was it easy enough to configure?

If you want tires buy em off Tire Rack and get them installed in Buffalo their dirt cheap! 114 ea for Direzza Z1 Star Spec... bring a girl along and say she went shopping, usually works at the boarder..
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
ryan_george
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
I got a turbo out of a Mazdaspeed 3 i'm thinking about doin something similar, the turbo was designed to run 1 Bar... The work you put in is awesome! are you using 1 bar of boost? Did you have any problems with the MegaSquirt? Was it easy enough to configure?

If you want tires buy em off Tire Rack and get them installed in Buffalo their dirt cheap! 114 ea for Direzza Z1 Star Spec... bring a girl along and say she went shopping, usually works at the boarder..
I think that turbo will be too small for an M20. I'm no expert, but that's my gut feeling.
Yes, I'm running about 1 bar. Megasquirt takes a bit to set up and configure, but it's fairly straight forward once you're running. Just need to be careful while tuning so you don't damage the engine. Pay attention to your gauges!

I actually get quite a bit of stuff shipped to the boarder. I'm well versed with that technique
Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #41
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

yes that turbo will be too small for the M20. Especially @ 1 BAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
thank you sir!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #42
Pauljiwanram
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:

Hi Could you tell me if the LSD was a direct bolt on or you had to modify

Thanks
Paul
Pauljiwanram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #43
ryan_george
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljiwanram View Post
Hi Could you tell me if the LSD was a direct bolt on or you had to modify

Thanks
Paul
I bought an entire differential out of an E28, so it was more or less a direct bolt on. You will want to have an E30 differential handy so that you can swap the back cover and also the stub shafts into the new one.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
davericher20
black and blue

Holy thread revival! You gave me and Steve a ride in this car after one of the meets in Cambridge at the Old timmies location a couple years ago. Thing was a monster!

ANy vids? Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #45
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
Holy thread revival! You gave me and Steve a ride in this car after one of the meets in Cambridge at the Old timmies location a couple years ago. Thing was a monster!

ANy vids? Updates?
Yeah, the thing definitely kicked hard.

I'm getting plates for my one this week

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: