Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
bigfeller
Propeller Head

CD43- Amp Audio Problem

I've been running a 'BMW Business CD43' paired with an old 4 channel Blaupunkt amp, powering a set of components up front, and an 8" sub for the past year.

I had been using a Scosche SLC-4 line output converter (LOC) to accept the 10V balanced differential inputs from the CD43 head unit, and feed front and rear 'low level' stereo RCAs to the amp. Over bumps recently, the system has started cutting out/ making a static noise. In an effort to track down the problem, I removed the Scosche LOC and spliced a set of RCA ends onto the twisted pair balanced differential outputs of the deck (in the trunk). Great sound! More amplitude, cleaner etc.

Sounds great in the driveway, but when I turn the motor on, however, the deck cuts out after about 5 seconds. This would indicate a short somewhere (thus triggering it's protection circuitry), but all of the connections look good, and when the motor is off, it's fine. What I don't understand is what is changing from a load or circuitry perspective, when the motor's running.

If memory serves, someone put it on a scope once and it was outputing around 10 V peak to peak. And don't forget, those voltage outputs are the deck's maximum output- I'm not even getting close to that with my low volume settings. 10V is a lot, to be sure, but I can't see how this would change when the motor's running. That said, if the voltage was too high, there should be some telltale distortion, crackling, noise, etc, but there isn't. It sounds great. Then I turn the engine on....

My initial thought was possibly a bad ground, but I've checked the amp's ground, and it's good, and the system runs just fine when the motor's not running. I'm stumped.

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic

Last edited by bigfeller; 05-04-2010 at 09:01 AM.
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: