Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
1minte46
2nd Gear Member

Talking 325Xi suspension

Alright guys heres the deal; yes I may be a newbie at this point, but I have searched left right and center and haven't been able to find the exact information that I need. So heres the situation I have a 2002 BMW 325Xi and I was looking to buy coilovers for it, personally I care more about the look then the performance, but as I have researched around you can't lower the car to much because then the CV joints start to give, I found KW2 coilovers that drop the car 2.5" max but I'm still afraid that's not enough to get rid of the wheel gap. Now i was wondering is there anything that I can do, to at least get rid of the wheel gap, or am I able to get suspension to lower the car more then 2.5 but reinforce the CV joints in anyway? If anyone can help please I'd really like to get started on this.
1minte46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Not sure how much you want to remove... Mine is dropped 1.5" in front and not much of a gap remaining. Another consideration is the front drive shafts as you indicated. @ 2.5" they are going to have a significant bend @ the CV joints. Even with 1.5" drop with front drive shaft no longer runs "straight" from Differnential to wheel. Rear is different. Even with drop, the rear half-shafts still bend "downward" as is recommended. You are also carrying a significantly heavier load in front vs. other 3-series models so, too much drop will have you bottoming-out frequently.

AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
1minte46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
Not sure how much you want to remove... Mine is dropped 1.5" in front and not much of a gap remaining. Another consideration is the front drive shafts as you indicated. @ 2.5" they are going to have a significant bend @ the CV joints. Even with 1.5" drop with front drive shaft no longer runs "straight" from Differnential to wheel. Rear is different. Even with drop, the rear half-shafts still bend "downward" as is recommended. You are also carrying a significantly heavier load in front vs. other 3-series models so, too much drop will have you bottoming-out frequently.

I love your car keep it up, and what suspension are you using, may I ask? Secondly in answer to your question of how much i want to get rid of i was thinking of a look like this

and why does our Xi's weigh so much more at the front then a regular 3 series is it because of the transfer case? Also as you said the CV joints point upwards in the front is there anything that can be done to prevent this, like would there be a camber kit or something?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Junaid
4th Gear Member

anything over 1.5" drop your looking to replace your cv boots every 40,000k

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
do the xi's have different springs or does bmw just install spring pads on them?

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
djeurofest1
3rd Gear Member

does anyone know, if the front suspension is the same.
i have a XI, i plan on getting a different subframe/ getting rid of the AWD and converting to just RWD.
i will have to replace the lower control alarms, and i was planning on buying regular RWD coilovers, will my spindles work? or do i need to buy some also?
djeurofest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1minte46 View Post
I love your car keep it up, and what suspension are you using, may I ask? Secondly in answer to your question of how much i want to get rid of i was thinking of a look like this

Plan to replace CV boots and quite possibly drive-shafts regularly. The stresses you will be adding are HUGE!

and why does our Xi's weigh so much more at the front then a regular 3 series is it because of the transfer case? Also as you said the CV joints point upwards in the front is there anything that can be done to prevent this, like would there be a camber kit or something?
The transfer case is actually mounted mid-frame approx behind the front seats. Two half-shafts run from the transfer case to the front and rear differentials. The front differential is mounted to the drivers side of the engine/oil pan. Then you have two front half-shafts, heavier duty control arms, springs, stuts, bigger swaybar, etc, etc, etc,. Starting to count those additional pounds?

In reponse to "the King" (is that the Burger King? ) Xi's have different springs, etc on all 4 corners (see above answer).

"Eurofest" sell your Xi and get a std 3-series. You are asking for alot of work to get a 330i; a model readily available on the market.... You Need to consider changes to entire front suspension (setup for front drive-shafts). Remove transfer case, so new main driveshaft, hangers, etc..... Just my thoughts....
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Last edited by nachos23; 04-28-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
1minte46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid View Post
anything over 1.5" drop your looking to replace your cv boots every 40,000k
Personally I drive the car more during the summer I think I do less the 40,000km a year probably every two years, and you said my CV boots will have to be replaced, and thats like 40 bucks, so im assuming labour is the hard part, secondly Im guess once you here noise then it's to late? You will probably have to replace like half axle if you see grease all over the wheel right?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
nachos23
SweetXi

actually, not necessarily. I've replace torn (I mean really torn; no lube left inside) and were binding so bad, I couldn't turn left after a long drive with them almost binding completely...... Re-packed, installed original boot (not torn; clamp seal gone) on both sides (inner CVs; both) and that was in Jan..... No issues since. Re-packed torn outter CV boots several times (the outter tear more frequentll than inner CVs); no issues...... I will probably get my half-shafts rebuilt soon, but no issues after several re-packs of torn CV boots..... If the outter CV joints start to bind and clunk, then they're gone and need to be repalced, but if you catch them before, you shoudl be ok.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Junaid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1minte46 View Post
Personally I drive the car more during the summer I think I do less the 40,000km a year probably every two years, and you said my CV boots will have to be replaced, and thats like 40 bucks, so im assuming labour is the hard part, secondly Im guess once you here noise then it's to late? You will probably have to replace like half axle if you see grease all over the wheel right?
Not necessarily, depends on how long you drove with a torn boot, and yes the labour is the hard part, even still it is too difficult. If you have access to a hoist it is quite easy. Goodluck on your decision.

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
1minte46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid View Post
Not necessarily, depends on how long you drove with a torn boot, and yes the labour is the hard part, even still it is too difficult. If you have access to a hoist it is quite easy. Goodluck on your decision.
thanks a lot I appreciate the help. I still have a lot more to learn about this whole Xi category lol
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
nachos23
SweetXi

its just like a regular 3-series; just better.... The suspension and drivetrain parts are a little more expensive, but they are built considerably stronger and therefore don't need to be replaced as frequently.

I'm still running most of my original front suspension (except struts and shocks replaced when lowering) except for FCABs which were replaced @ 225,000 km (3 weeks ago)..... Love the car and love the handling...
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
tru-jack
1st Gear Newbie

hey nachos, quick question, where do you plan on rebuilding your front half shafts? thanks
tru-jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru-jack View Post
hey nachos, quick question, where do you plan on rebuilding your front half shafts? thanks
It's through a mechanic buddy of mine. It's the re-builders he uses for all his stuff. I can try and get the number but I believe he only deals with companies (not retail). My buddy is just passing the costs through. The shop he uses charges $300 - 325/axle (includes Core charge) which is very reasonable IMO.

I can hook you up with William to source the axles when you need them. If you don't have a mechanic you trust; I highly recommend my mechanic buddy (I use his shop to do my own repairs). He's an INDY, but amazing.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: