Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Go with blanks. no body cars if your rotors are drilled or slotted

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

I care. They look better IMO. I don't really care what others think, they just look nicer to me. If that is just a film on the EBC ones that will wear off somewhat quickly I will probably pick them up then and they aren't even drilled. They are dimpled and slotted which looks just as good.

Can anyone else confirm if this bronze "film" will wear off?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
Can anyone else confirm if this bronze "film" will wear off?
It's not film but yes it will wear away pretty quick. Any gold or black coated/anodized rotors will go to a normal metal silver after a day of driving or less. The coating just helps prevent corrosion on the rotor bell/vanes.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
sproule905
6th Gear Member

you honeslty care how your brakes look to others? i think you have other issues man.

Go with blanks. they will save in the long run!

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Quote:
From everything I have seen and heard, that is complete myth. Unless you are driving unbeleivably aggressive on the track and just hammering the brakes every second. But from what I have understood, they hold up pretty well when not abused.
Definetly wrong. This is truth I have seen it personaly that is the reason that EBC dosn't sell anything but slotted. If you drive your car hard trust me don't get the cross drilled you'll be replacing them in 6m cause you wont be able to handle the vibration.

EBC's are designed with a coating on the pad and the rotor that wear together and act as a break in cycle. You just drive normal for about 500km and they wear together for the ideal braking surface. I have the yellows on the 740i sport and the greens on the 318is and I just love them. I just got an S2000 and if I need brakes before I can afford my big brakes then it will have EBC's also.

Last edited by E30 Girl; 04-28-2010 at 11:49 AM.
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
you honeslty care how your brakes look to others? i think you have other issues man.

Go with blanks. they will save in the long run!
Did you not read what I posted 2 posted above?
Quote:
I care. They look better IMO. I don't really care what others think, they just look nicer to me.
I don't care what others think. I care about what I like. And I would like cross drilled rotors.

Either way, in the end, I settled on the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors because I got the best price on them. I guess its the best of both worlds since there is no chance of them falling apart because its not real drilled holes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: