Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Upcoming 1 Series M

From Car and Driver:

A pirate is someone who undertakes war-like attacks without government assent. "Pyrat," on the other hand, is the latest buzzword at M GmbH—more on that in a second.

M GmbH, of course, is BMW's high-performance division, headed since last May by BMW executive Kay Segler. We've met Segler many times and can attest to the fact that he did good things at Mini, where he worked prior to taking the reins at M. Segler got off to an excellent start with the Euro-only limited-edition M3 GTS and now he will make a permanent mark on every enthusiast's map with a planned 1-series variant. While we’re still expecting to see a 135is offered with a higher-output turbocharged inline-six—like in the 335is—our sources confirm that Segler’s division is crafting an M version of the compact 1-series coupe. It’s code-named project "Pyrat.”

There’s been some recent skepticism about the growth of the M division with such behemoths as the X5/X6 M, which not only contradict the division's lightweight philosophy but also mark a switch to turbocharging and a resultant loss of engine response at the limit. But the M version of the 1-series should do absolutely everything right. This prototype caught by our photographers reveals the business-like approach of the car: a wide front air intake with no fog lights, a wider track with large fenders covering cross-drilled brake rotors and big wheels with meaty tires, and a purposeful rear spoiler instead of an overwrought wing. The mule sports just two exhaust pipes, but the final product could sprout a couple more.

We like what we see, but we like even more what we can’t yet see. The 1er M will be powered by a high-revving, naturally aspirated straight-six producing about 340 hp—and, we are told, a very remarkable exhaust note. Think last-generation M3, and you’re close. Just when we thought exclusive engines were dead, we’re told there will be few ingredients from the corporate parts bin used on the 1-series M.

So what will this M be called? Well, we know that Segler appreciates the iconic nature of the M1 moniker and we predict he won't apply it to this car. Likely front-runners are 1-series M or 1M, but we’ll know for sure towards the end of this year when we get the first official glimpse of the car. Meanwhile, the competition should be on high alert. With this "Pyrat" around, the seas won't quite be the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Series M.jpg (79.7 KB, 14025 views)
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

sign me up!

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

I look forward to about 5-10 years from now when I may actaully able to afford one lol
I wonder what these things will go for new
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
NickP

High revving inline 6 producing about 340 hp with a "remarkable" (i.e. raspy and not pleasing) exhaust note. What motor could that possibly be?
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

With emissions regulations I'd think the S54 is way out of contention. Who knows though. I'd actually like to see a high-comp direct-injection N52 variant (E90 330i). Besides the S54 it's the most interesting modern BMW six, and if they keep the magnesium block I can see them reaching their weight targets nicely. It's already at 272hp at 7000rpm in the Euro models, if they pull out another 60-70hp and some revs the 1-series M should be spectacular.

BTW Nick we gotta meet up soon. You have to hear an S54 without the E46s stupid resonators and sideways muffler.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
With emissions regulations I'd think the S54 is way out of contention. Who knows though. I'd actually like to see a high-comp direct-injection N52 variant (E90 330i). Besides the S54 it's the most interesting modern BMW six, and if they keep the magnesium block I can see them reaching their weight targets nicely. It's already at 272hp at 7000rpm in the Euro models, if they pull out another 60-70hp and some revs the 1-series M should be spectacular.

BTW Nick we gotta meet up soon. You have to hear an S54 without the E46s stupid resonators and sideways muffler.
Although the specs scream s54 I agree its dead and gone. I wonder how close a displacement bump / compression bump / direction injection gets you to 60-70 hp +. I think there'll be more to the motor than that though (hp of n53 vs n52, n55 vs n54...).

I'm in for the meet up - looking forward to hearing the new beast. I'm in Toronto this weekend putting the e30 back together for the summer!
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I dunno, I think if they have the wall thickness to get it to 3150-3200cc with the added benefit of the variable intake system and DI...a hotted-up N52 could be a 340hp screamer. Really I'm just being selfish here, that motor is my favourite non-M made.

Text me when you're free this weekend, I'd love to stop by.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
Gamite

Could be S54 revision. S55 perhaps?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Nick_ll
1st Gear Newbie

S54 with direct injection and magnesium block?
Do the N52 and variants use continuously variable Vanos like S54/S50B32 do?
Nick_ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Yes, and they have Valvetronic which is even more adjustability. They basically use valve lift and opening control to such an exact degree that it performs the function of a throttle body.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: