Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Hurricane240
2nd Gear Member

Wax and Sealant Combination

What do you guys use? Where do you buy it?

I'm looking for a seperate Wax and Sealant Products..

I've got an Avus blue E36 with some light swirl marks I'd like to hide.
Whats my best route other then a nice machine polish at this point?

I currently use Mother carnubara wax in the tin and do enjoy the results but I feel there is more pop to be had from the nice Avus Blue Paint.

Also if anyone is feeling teachy.. whats the differance between a Sealant and a Glaze?

Thanks
Hurricane240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

With you really want the flake to pop stick with a sealant. Carnauba presents a warm glow to vehicles even if they are metallic and tends to mute the flakes more than enhance it.

You can go with a sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal, Chemical Guys Blitz or Chemical Guys Jetseal.

You can top your paint off with Optimum Car Wax. I find the combination of Optimum Opti-seal and car wax is easy to apply and easy on the eyes

BTW some glazes provide light protection while sealant provides full protection. Glazes provide light filling abilities while a sealant does not. I currently carry Chemical Guys EZ Creme glaze but be mindful it's purpose is to enhance the richness of the paint and not to hide swirls.

In all honesty to really bring the pop back to your flake you would highly benefit from a one step polish which will not set you back much.

In terms of where you can buy these items. You can purchase them from me

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited by Nikku; 04-27-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
canuckder
4th Gear Member

Where i work they use a paint sealer called zylon. Its alittle pricey, but the demenstration they gave was amazing. The clean up crew had told me, if theres pervious wax this stuff will "evaporate it" , so youll have to reapply wax. supposable helps with swirls and faded areas and will help pervent swirls. I dont know where else you can get it, but at applewood chevy (mississuaga, automall at erin mills and dundas).

I used a cleaner wax, applyed it like it said, then used wax from bav auto. I Dont think the wax i got was the best for the cost, i ussually like eagles nano wax, it gives a nice finish.

I actually have a half opened bottle of zylon, theres only a week left to use it. After opening you have 3 weeks, if your interested I could probably just give it to you. since i wont be using it again this year.

let me know! cal
canuckder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i use mothers glaze and sealeant (7$ afaik) and p21s (aka s100, 21.99$ at any harley davidson dealership). Gives nice depth to black paint.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
joeyg
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikku View Post
With you really want the flake to pop stick with a sealant. Carnauba presents a warm glow to vehicles even if they are metallic and tends to mute the flakes more than enhance it.

You can go with a sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal, Chemical Guys Blitz or Chemical Guys Jetseal.

You can top your paint off with Optimum Car Wax. I find the combination of Optimum Opti-seal and car wax is easy to apply and easy on the eyes

BTW some glazes provide light protection while sealant provides full protection. Glazes provide light filling abilities while a sealant does not. I currently carry Chemical Guys EZ Creme glaze but be mindful it's purpose is to enhance the richness of the paint and not to hide swirls.

In all honesty to really bring the pop back to your flake you would highly benefit from a one step polish which will not set you back much.

In terms of where you can buy these items. You can purchase them from me

Cheers,
Nick
Sorry to rehash an old thread, but Nick...regarding the Optimum Opti-Seal, do you put on the Optimum Car Wax first and then the Opti-Seal? The Opti-Seal is the wipe on and let dry and that's it sealer right?

Another question....as a detailer do you have access to Optimum Opti-Coat, I am hearing from web sites like Autotopia that Opti-Coat is the real deal as far as sealants go but is only available to detailers and car dealerships. If you carry Opti-Coat, can you advise what it costs to apply this sealant?

Joe
2010 Lexus IS250 F-Sport StarFire Pearl(sold)
2008 BMW 135i Alpine White (sold)
joeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg View Post
Sorry to rehash an old thread, but Nick...regarding the Optimum Opti-Seal, do you put on the Optimum Car Wax first and then the Opti-Seal? The Opti-Seal is the wipe on and let dry and that's it sealer right?

Another question....as a detailer do you have access to Optimum Opti-Coat, I am hearing from web sites like Autotopia that Opti-Coat is the real deal as far as sealants go but is only available to detailers and car dealerships. If you carry Opti-Coat, can you advise what it costs to apply this sealant?

Joe
I can acquire Optimum Opti-coat but have not seen a need to pick it up. I reserve judgement on a product for a while as in a lot of times it's just flavour of the month.

In terms of opti seal and optimum car wax. You will always want to apply a sealant before a wax. So opti seal first then optimum car wax

If you want a long lasting product I will always recommend Collinite waxes. You can top it off with your favourite wax and voila you have infinite amount of combination of looks, subtle but different.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
joeyg
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckder View Post
Where i work they use a paint sealer called zylon. Its alittle pricey, but the demenstration they gave was amazing. The clean up crew had told me, if theres pervious wax this stuff will "evaporate it" , so youll have to reapply wax. supposable helps with swirls and faded areas and will help pervent swirls. I dont know where else you can get it, but at applewood chevy (mississuaga, automall at erin mills and dundas).

I used a cleaner wax, applyed it like it said, then used wax from bav auto. I Dont think the wax i got was the best for the cost, i ussually like eagles nano wax, it gives a nice finish.

I actually have a half opened bottle of zylon, theres only a week left to use it. After opening you have 3 weeks, if your interested I could probably just give it to you. since i wont be using it again this year.

let me know! cal
I found out about Optimum Opti-Coat while researching Xzilon paint sealant (referred to as Zylon in this thread). I learned from web sites like Autotopia that Xzilon is an alright sealant but is not worth the money that the dealerships charge for it. You can get it on Ebay for the price of Crappy tire wax and do it yourself and literally save hundreds and hundred of dollars. I've read that the Opti-Coat is superior though, but you can't get it from Ebay or anywhere else for that matter, unless you are a detailer or car dealership.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

Layer 3 layers of collinite 476's or Marque du Elegance on your car and you'll be pleasantly surprised how long it lasts.

I've come upon several customers with Xzilon on their vehicles and honestly it doesn't live up to the hype. In most cases Xzilon applied at dealerships if anything causes more swirls. Again that's just my experience.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
joeyg
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikku View Post
Layer 3 layers of collinite 476's or Marque du Elegance on your car and you'll be pleasantly surprised how long it lasts.

I've come upon several customers with Xzilon on their vehicles and honestly it doesn't live up to the hype. In most cases Xzilon applied at dealerships if anything causes more swirls. Again that's just my experience.
Oh ya I don't believe the hype regarding Xzilon.

What my intention is, is to have my vehicle detailed by a professional like yourself, once a year after the winter. Then during the course of the year, I want to apply a sealant/wax just once to carry it through the year until the following spring.

I've been using Zaino for the past several years but it is too labour intensive (I haven't yet tried the new Zaino AIO All-In-One) and I no longer have the time or inclination to spend the time and effort.

So what I'm looking for is a sealant/wax that will last, is easy to use, and doesn't leave that white chalky residue that stains the black rubber mouldings if you get the product on them.

In the running so far is Zaino AIO, Optimum Poli-Seal or Opti-Seal. I don't really know anything about Collinite 476 or Marque du Elegance so what would your recommends be?

Thanks

Joe

Last edited by joeyg; 07-10-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

By the sounds of it you want something that is easy to apply and provides good looks and good durability. In my opinion that would be Collinite 845 It's so easy to apply sometimes that I layer opti-seal then top it off with collinite. But collinite 845 is more than sufficient.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
joeyg
Lurker

That's pretty much what I am looking for, plus the non-chalking and staining of the black trim bits and pieces.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

With what you've told me Collinite 845 is my first choice for you. Just remember to shake the bottle until it's a liquid then apply it thinly

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: