Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

Help!! Clunk/Toc noise

Hey guys,

I just took my 328is 98' out of storage and I started hearing this weird sound. It only happens at low speeds, usually when i'm almost completely stopped. I hear a clunk/toc noise 1 time. I hear it and I also feel it in the floor. It's intermittent but has happened to me when I was backing up as well at low speeds.

I've had the car up on the lift and we looked at everything and it all looks and feels tight. Anyone experience this or have any ideas what to look at?

Thanks
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
Hey guys,

I just took my 328is 98' out of storage and I started hearing this weird sound. It only happens at low speeds, usually when i'm almost completely stopped. I hear a clunk/toc noise 1 time. I hear it and I also feel it in the floor. It's intermittent but has happened to me when I was backing up as well at low speeds.

I've had the car up on the lift and we looked at everything and it all looks and feels tight. Anyone experience this or have any ideas what to look at?

Thanks
I had something similar last year. Noise started only at low speeds, and when backing up. Got worse in a short period of time. I ended up having to replace my diff. I hope this isn't your issue. check for fluid after the car has been parked, look under the diff.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

I know that there are no leaks at my diff and fluid was replaced last year. It seems to be coming more from the front of the vehicle but it's really hard to tell for sure.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Wheel bearing maybe. I would go have it check out my a mech. Noises are not good, no matter how you look at it. Be safe and go get it checked out.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
sproule905
6th Gear Member

almost like your exhaust is dragging noise? if so e-brake breakage someone in of of the wheels. or it couldl even be a faulty coil.

just from my experience

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Does it match the speed of the car? I.e, does it increase in frequency or is it random/constant?

I have a weird popping that I can feel in my pedal and hear when it's quiet (low speeds/idling) that comes from the heater control valves. If my knobs aren't set all the way to cold or all the way to hot, this popping happens a few times a minute.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

I have the same noise but I only notice it when I'm stopped and idling and I can feel it very faintly through the brake pedal. It happens every few seconds. I've never noticed it while moving.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

I have the noise from the heater control valves but this is different, it only happens when i'm almost immobilized. Probably still going about 5 km/h but while im stopping and it only does it once. Usually takes a few stop and goes for it to come back. I hear it and feel it in the floor as well as the steering. Very strange as once again , we've had the car up on the lift and everything is super tight. No loose anywhere at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
mhamouda
Lookin like M

i had a noise comin out of the front of my car.. i opened the hood to check it, it was comin out of the fan.. didnt pay much attention. on the weekend my fan shredded in peices and almost broke my radiator.. for the 2nd time!
it got loose from the clutch, the 3 bolts that hold it down got looses and it was wiggly which is what made the noise!

get it checked asap before bigger damage happen to you!
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks but I've had the fan delete mod for three years now, I made sure to get that done before the fan exploded!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
mhamouda
Lookin like M

no over heating at all even during summers? at alllllllll???
Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

Nope, I've got a scanner plugged in at all times and the hottest it ever gets even in heavy traffic on a piping hot day is about 100c.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
mhamouda
Lookin like M

then im deletin my fan too.. f that i still dont trust it from breakign again
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Actually come to think of it I did my fan delete last summer and I don't remember hearing that sound recently. Maybe it was the fan. Nice!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: