Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Raps_Fan
1st Gear Newbie

Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray?

Has anyone gotten the LOTR on blu-ray? Read some mixed reviews and wasn't sure if it was worth buying or waiting a little while for the extended version to come out. Let me know what you guys think!
Raps_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
2slow2race
6th Gear Member

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1081558p1.html

good review on the blu-ray set.

if it was 40 or 50 bucks, i would pick it up.
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

My PS3 upscales the DVD's I already have of them and they look damn good. Good enough for me to not have to buy the blu-rays. Some people don't seem to understand that the PS3 can upscale current DVD's and sometimes they look just as good as the blu-ray if not better.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

The BluRays were $49 for the complete trilogy until yesterday at best buy and FS...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Doh! I lied... still on sale until tomorrow.

From what I understand, this is the theatrical release, not the extended one. I'll probably wait for the extended one...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8007d95e96en02
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
My PS3 upscales the DVD's I already have of them and they look damn good. Good enough for me to not have to buy the blu-rays. Some people don't seem to understand that the PS3 can upscale current DVD's and sometimes they look just as good as the blu-ray if not better.

If not better?? ya..... okay.......

most half decent DVD players upconvert, nothing new there. just it looks stupid.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Gotta agree with Sirex here... (Whoa... did you just see that pig fly?? )

There's no way an up converted DVD will look better then a Blu-Ray. I have a PS3 as well that I use as my primary playback device and there is just no way...
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

he probably doesn't have a full HD TV.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

that may be true...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

I do have a full HD TV. I may have overstepped the boundaries with my better that blu-ray remark. But If anyone has a copy of the Warriors on blu-ray and the most recent DVD copy of it, they look nearly identical. If anyone pays attention to the reviews on blu-ray.com, there are numerous ones that explicitly state, if you have the most recent DVD version, there is no reason to get the blu-ray because there is no difference. This is probably just due to a bad conversion on the manufacturers part, but still.

All I'm saying is that I have the LOtR DVD's and the PS3 upscales them well enough that I don't see the need to go out and get the blu-rays.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

ok. but i think there might be a difference for a big release like LOTR.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
I do have a full HD TV. I may have overstepped the boundaries with my better that blu-ray remark. But If anyone has a copy of the Warriors on blu-ray and the most recent DVD copy of it, they look nearly identical. If anyone pays attention to the reviews on blu-ray.com, there are numerous ones that explicitly state, if you have the most recent DVD version, there is no reason to get the blu-ray because there is no difference. This is probably just due to a bad conversion on the manufacturers part, but still.

All I'm saying is that I have the LOtR DVD's and the PS3 upscales them well enough that I don't see the need to go out and get the blu-rays.

are you talking about the movie "The Warriors" from 1979? movies like that weren't film close to HD, so even if they come out in Blu-Ray it's really just a upconverted version anyways.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
are you talking about the movie "The Warriors" from 1979? movies like that weren't film close to HD, so even if they come out in Blu-Ray it's really just a upconverted version anyways.
That's only somewhat true. What they'll do is go back to the 35mm master of the film and get another recording off that. 35mm is just as sharp as what's used now.... but the time and energy pulling it off again makes the difference. For an old movie like the Warriors, it would likely need a lot of restoration that it won't get.... restoration costs money and they'll only do it for sellers.

For the OP, I read that the video quality of the new LOTR blurays aren't the best, but they're still a big step up from DVD so if you want to buy it, buy it.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
AdrianBmW
2nd Gear Member

Blu-Ray FTW..
- imo ive never seen a dvd play with better quality on my ps3 and im hocked up to a 50in' sharp aquos through HDMI.. big difference everytime i get dvd.

** quick edit: I dont see much differnce with digitally remasterd movies that where on dvd to blu-ray but with new releases there is !

Black Sedan FTW
Active Autowerke Software/ Simota Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake/ LED Angel eyes / 18in' Style M-166
AdrianBmW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: