Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
mr.rhtuner
2nd Gear Member

Question Weird tire wear on the wheels...

Hey everybody, we have a 2000 323ci with the optional 17" BMW Wheels.

Now just before winter my girlfriend was driving the car and the tire lost air and wouldn't inflate.
I checked out the tire and found that the tires are wearing down on the inside edges.

The car has the 'factory' bmw sport suspension that was installed by BMW and we didn't do any changes to it. It's time to replace the suspension anyways @ 170k on the car but I don't think this is the cause of the wear.

The wear seems as if the car is really low with too big rims/tires and it's causing the rim/tire to sit on an angle.

Any ideas? I know we had the tires rotated a few months ago so I don't know if the front tires were fine before the rotation and the rear's are causing this or if this is an issue with all four corners of the car.

Are 17" rims too large for this car?

I belive the tire size is 215/45/17

rear tire pics:

front tire pics:

mr.rhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
pmills325i
2nd Gear Member

too much camber
pmills325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Michel
6th Gear Member

replace the suspension (shocks, bushings, struts etc.) and then align the car. Wear that bad is usually from a messed up Toe alignment; it makes the wheels 'drag' when driving, prematurely ruining the tread.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Wait...you let your girl drive the car?

It wouldnt be a true bimmer if it didnt eat rear tires like that.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
looks like toe.
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
hamant
2nd Gear Member

could be toe or camber,
or the tires were not balanced properly (which you would be aware of by the vibration)

your car is mis-aligned. I would suggest getting a shop to look at it first before you go replacing parts
hamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
mr.rhtuner
2nd Gear Member

Does anybody know where I can get new shocks/springs from for a good price? maybe even installed?

I've had problems with Cross Avenue Auto so I won't be going back to them anymore.

We are from london obviously but willing to travel to a good shop/parts
Old 04-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
if it feels like the rear end is loose when accelerating, your rear trailing arm bushing are calling it quits. for your tires, either get an alignment first or replace your front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, get those replaced if you've never replaced them then get an alignment.

i doubt it'd be your shocks and struts.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
MPackage
2nd Gear Member

That is definitely a pigeon toe for your tires…do the alignment and you should be fine I would take it to RMP Motors talk to Rocco he will do it all for you…and even get you the parts..
MPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
mr.rhtuner
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
if it feels like the rear end is loose when accelerating, your rear trailing arm bushing are calling it quits. for your tires, either get an alignment first or replace your front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, get those replaced if you've never replaced them then get an alignment.

i doubt it'd be your shocks and struts.

Well I know for fact that the rear shocks need to be replaced due to them slowly leaking, but I don't doubt that some bushings need to be replaced.

We have 'm3' control arms that were installed both in the front by Cross Avenue, so that should be good for bushing wise I'm guessing. Just the rear now to do if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPackage View Post
That is definitely a pigeon toe for your tires…do the alignment and you should be fine I would take it to RMP Motors talk to Rocco he will do it all for you…and even get you the parts..

I'll have to call around the get pricing but thank you.
It's hard trusting shops for us nowaday
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Michel
6th Gear Member

^I just ordered shocks/struts for my dads E46 325i from here:

http://www.bilsteincanada.com/

Prices were the best I've found, shipping is cheap and customer service is excellent. The only problem with my order is the 'Touring Class' shocks are back ordered for 4-6 weeks...
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Streethispgt
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Streethispgt
Get your RTAB's replaced and an alignment and your back tires will stop getting chewed up like that. Common E46 problem.
Streethispgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
mr.rhtuner
2nd Gear Member

Update:

Took the car in on friday to get the alignment done and the front was totally off.
They were able to correct 99% of the work and should help with tire wear.

Bushings were fine on the car, suspension will get replaced in a few weeks as the rear shocks are lightly leaking but it's not bad at all.

Now we are going to get new tires this week and the tire size we had on the 17" bmw rims before was 215/45/17

we were thinking of getting a thicker tires, maybe 225?

Would that be a bit better to do? more traction on the ground? If so, what tire thickness are we good to go with before we have issues with rubbing?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron320i View Post
looks like toe.
Excessive Toe Wear.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #15
Streethispgt
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Streethispgt
Post back to the forum in 2 months time and I guarantee you the tires in the back will wear identical to the pictures you posted.

RTAB bushings may feel or look fine, but at that high mileage they definitely are not. I chewed up a brand new set of summer tires in 2 months with the same thinking.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rhtuner View Post
Update:

Took the car in on friday to get the alignment done and the front was totally off.
They were able to correct 99% of the work and should help with tire wear.

Bushings were fine on the car, suspension will get replaced in a few weeks as the rear shocks are lightly leaking but it's not bad at all.

Now we are going to get new tires this week and the tire size we had on the 17" bmw rims before was 215/45/17

we were thinking of getting a thicker tires, maybe 225?

Would that be a bit better to do? more traction on the ground? If so, what tire thickness are we good to go with before we have issues with rubbing?
Streethispgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3-series, bmw, rims, tire, wheel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: