Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
brunp
2nd Gear Member

So I have 235/40 R18's on my BBS CH rims

Offset is ET35 and it appears that the tires just fit snugly. Who knew what 0.2 radius difference could make a difference.

Is there any reason to be concerned as on one side of my car, I can run my finger between the fender and the tire, but the other side is a tight fit, really tight fit....

When pressing down on the suspension, I don't seem to notice tires hitting any fenders, or the light, but am curious to find out if I should get it checked out. I have to get an post-winter oil change and for some reason the check engine is asking me to check the "coolant" level.....so, it would be coming in soon.

Thoughts.

Paul
brunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
carjoe
6th Gear Member

They say BMW's have one side higher than the other due to driver weight compensation. I know both my E36 and E39 are/were that way.

If you have any rubbing, you could always get your fenders rolled...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
brunp
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
They say BMW's have one side higher than the other due to driver weight compensation. I know both my E36 and E39 are/were that way.

If you have any rubbing, you could always get your fenders rolled...
This would make sense.... ;-)

I will look at it tomorrow with a sound mind....was a little flustered today with the A/C not workin on my e90....and my gf complaining about it a little thinking stuff like this should not happen....which I agree.....

Paul
Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

A/C failure on the E90? Ouch. Are you talking about the front or rear fenders? It could be a bent control arm on the front (if the wheel is forward or rearward) or a broken spring, crushed spring pad, failed strut bearing, etc, if the car is lower (so the wheel is tighter to the fender all the way 'round).

BTW, Princess Auto now sell the Eastwood fender roller. I'm waiting for it to go on sale and I'll be making a post about a purchase where we all go in. I'll like to have another go at my rears.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
brunp
2nd Gear Member

yes.....e90.....go figure, it blows cold'ish air.....but it is not that cold. and definitely doesn't blow 16 degree's on max A/C.

Back to e36.....drove it around.....and I think it is fine....but I went in to a parking lot and when the wheels are fully turned, I do see the rear of the tire hitting the inner wall....on the rear.....

And I do think I am cutting it close...but not sure.....

Sheesh....

Paul
Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
mikemac
99 ///M3

You want to see close, look at mine next time you are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunp View Post
yes.....e90.....go figure, it blows cold'ish air.....but it is not that cold. and definitely doesn't blow 16 degree's on max A/C.

Back to e36.....drove it around.....and I think it is fine....but I went in to a parking lot and when the wheels are fully turned, I do see the rear of the tire hitting the inner wall....on the rear.....

And I do think I am cutting it close...but not sure.....

Sheesh....

Paul
mikemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
brunp
2nd Gear Member

I put the 17"s back on because I need the rear fenders rolled up and some minor plastic fender liner adjustments in the front wheel well. I am surprised that the wheel well liner covers so much space.

Paul
Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I did a quick check on 1010tires.com.. 225/40R18 are already bigger than the oem size, so 235/40R18 are quite large, about 18.3MM larger than OEM size, plus they're a lot wider. Tire selection is limited, but a 245/35R18 might have been a better choice.

Anyway, you might be able to mold the inner fender with a heat gun. There are a few fender rollers around the city but most people are reluctant to lend it out. I guess Princess didn't renew their order for them; too low of sales.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
brunp
2nd Gear Member

yeah...I realized that after the fact and I based it on someone else running 235/40 R18's but I think he was using a slightly different offset and he didn't tell me he was rubbing as well. I would not have gone that route.

Right now, as the BBS rims are refinished and painted, I may consider selling the 18's with the wheels (or not) and for a good buck too and get LTW's in 17" or a proper offset 18" rim set to make sure the 18" tires fit. However, the 17's look large enough with this chassis anyways.....

I am sure I will find a buyer for the 18" BBS rims....

Paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: