Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 171
Control arms and bushings

Is it possible and worth while to replace the control arm bushing with a high-performance polyurethane one or do I have to replace the entire control arm? I have determined that my front right bushing is toast, but I do not know what my replacement options are. I've read online that the polyurethane ones last longer and provide better handling, but I don't know if the control should be replaced at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone replaced a control arm and/or bushing on their E46? Thanks.
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
BSL
2nd Gear Member
 
BSL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ptbo
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
Is it possible and worth while to replace the control arm bushing with a high-performance polyurethane one or do I have to replace the entire control arm? I have determined that my front right bushing is toast, but I do not know what my replacement options are. I've read online that the polyurethane ones last longer and provide better handling, but I don't know if the control should be replaced at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone replaced a control arm and/or bushing on their E46? Thanks.
You can get replacement bushings, but I think its recommended to do to the control arms at the same time.
The reasoning behind this is that any new or aftermarket control arms are updated, a different shape and may not work with stock bushings... (dont quote me on this).
The ball joints apparantly cant be replaced in the control arms, and they dont last forever either.

Instead of doing the job twice, I decided to buy it all at once, with sway bar links, to get rid of any BS clunky noises.

I got a whole meyle kit for a reasonable price, from the US of course.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member
 
ImolaZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
Is it possible and worth while to replace the control arm bushing with a high-performance polyurethane one or do I have to replace the entire control arm? I have determined that my front right bushing is toast, but I do not know what my replacement options are. I've read online that the polyurethane ones last longer and provide better handling, but I don't know if the control should be replaced at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone replaced a control arm and/or bushing on their E46? Thanks.
you can replace just the bushings. unless your Control arms are bent you don't need to replace them.

make sure you purchase bushings that are pre-pressed into the carriers.

theres quite a few options,
but the top 2 would be Meyle HD bushings (similar to stock, but they last longer) or powerflex polyurethane ones.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 171
Thanks for the info! How would you rate the difficulty of this job as a DIY? What special tools do I need?
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member
 
ImolaZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 521
a 3-arm jaw puller!! you need this! CT and princess auto have them. and i would recommend a torque wrench, although probably not necessary.

it's not that difficult, but i wouldn't advise doing this right now, unless you have a heated garage. too cold to be under the car for a couple hours
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
a 3-arm jaw puller!! you need this! CT and princess auto have them. and i would recommend a torque wrench, although probably not necessary.

it's not that difficult, but i wouldn't advise doing this right now, unless you have a heated garage. too cold to be under the car for a couple hours
yeah no kidding, its chilly out right now
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 171
I think I'm gonna go with Powerflex bushings. How do I determine if I need 60mm or 66mm size? What and where do I have to measure? Go easy, I'm new to car maintanence lol.
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
You can get replacement bushings, but I think its recommended to do to the control arms at the same time.
The reasoning behind this is that any new or aftermarket control arms are updated, a different shape and may not work with stock bushings... (dont quote me on this).
The ball joints apparantly cant be replaced in the control arms, and they dont last forever either.

Instead of doing the job twice, I decided to buy it all at once, with sway bar links, to get rid of any BS clunky noises.

I got a whole meyle kit for a reasonable price, from the US of course.
What was included in the kit, what did it cost, and where did you get it replaced?
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member
 
ImolaZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
I think I'm gonna go with Powerflex bushings. How do I determine if I need 60mm or 66mm size? What and where do I have to measure? Go easy, I'm new to car maintanence lol.
like i said before, order the bushings pre-pressed into the housings. you won't have to measure anything, because you are replacing the whole unit.

if you order just the bushings, then you have to get the old bushings out of the housings, and the new ones in... don't waste your time or potentially money by doing this as something may go wrong.

I'm going to make your life easy.

Here is where to buy them...select "housing included"
http://store.bimmerworld.com/Product281

Here is the install DIY to follow.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ushing+install

ignore the part about taking the old bushings out of the carriers, as you are getting the whole unit.

the only thing not included in this DIY is that you may need some soap and water to slip the bushings onto the control arms.

Read the DIY before you begin to get familar with what you're doing. Goodluck!

Last edited by ImolaZHP; 02-26-2009 at 09:32 PM.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
like i said before, order the bushings pre-pressed into the housings. you won't have to measure anything, because you are replacing the whole unit.

if you order just the bushings, then you have to get the old bushings out of the housings, and the new ones in... don't waste your time or potentially money by doing this as something may go wrong.

I'm going to make your life easy.

Here is where to buy them...select "housing included"
http://store.bimmerworld.com/Product281

Here is the install DIY to follow.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ushing+install

ignore the part about taking the old bushings out of the carriers, as you are getting the whole unit.

the only thing not included in this DIY is that you may need some soap and water to slip the bushings onto the control arms.

Read the DIY before you begin to get familar with what you're doing. Goodluck!
Thanks a lot for your help. I hadn't noticed the first few times on bimmerworld's website that I don't need to measure when ordering the bushings in the housing.

Thanks again!
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
polar3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
funny seeing this thread. I just got my bushings replaced at RMP just yesterday and it really improved the handling / ride quality. My old ones were in pretty bad shape and you could really tell going over any bump.
polar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
ChronicG
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 67
did you put in the poly bushings? any squeaks? how is it?
ChronicG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor
 
RMPMOTORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Posts: 1,419
We sell both the Poly bushings, and the Meyle heavy duty bushings!
__________________

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member
 
Ahctuning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Torono
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPMOTORS View Post
We sell both the Poly bushings, and the Meyle heavy duty bushings!
Rocco, need some parts and labour pricing please:
1 poly bushing per side
2 meyle hd bushing per side
3 4-ring Angel eyes (labour only if you dont carry AE).
4 4-corner lowering (labour only for shocks/springs) car:e46 coupe

Sorry for putting you on the spot. Pm me if you are prohibited from posting price on this board. thanks
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane
 
slemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Missed in 'sauga
Posts: 2,979
I don't recall what Rocco put in my vert a couple of weeks ago but I trust his judgement and recommendations.
__________________

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.