Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

Control arms and bushings

Is it possible and worth while to replace the control arm bushing with a high-performance polyurethane one or do I have to replace the entire control arm? I have determined that my front right bushing is toast, but I do not know what my replacement options are. I've read online that the polyurethane ones last longer and provide better handling, but I don't know if the control should be replaced at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone replaced a control arm and/or bushing on their E46? Thanks.
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
Is it possible and worth while to replace the control arm bushing with a high-performance polyurethane one or do I have to replace the entire control arm? I have determined that my front right bushing is toast, but I do not know what my replacement options are. I've read online that the polyurethane ones last longer and provide better handling, but I don't know if the control should be replaced at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone replaced a control arm and/or bushing on their E46? Thanks.
You can get replacement bushings, but I think its recommended to do to the control arms at the same time.
The reasoning behind this is that any new or aftermarket control arms are updated, a different shape and may not work with stock bushings... (dont quote me on this).
The ball joints apparantly cant be replaced in the control arms, and they dont last forever either.

Instead of doing the job twice, I decided to buy it all at once, with sway bar links, to get rid of any BS clunky noises.

I got a whole meyle kit for a reasonable price, from the US of course.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
you can replace just the bushings. unless your Control arms are bent you don't need to replace them.

make sure you purchase bushings that are pre-pressed into the carriers.

theres quite a few options,
but the top 2 would be Meyle HD bushings (similar to stock, but they last longer) or powerflex polyurethane ones.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info! How would you rate the difficulty of this job as a DIY? What special tools do I need?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

a 3-arm jaw puller!! you need this! CT and princess auto have them. and i would recommend a torque wrench, although probably not necessary.

it's not that difficult, but i wouldn't advise doing this right now, unless you have a heated garage. too cold to be under the car for a couple hours
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
a 3-arm jaw puller!! you need this! CT and princess auto have them. and i would recommend a torque wrench, although probably not necessary.

it's not that difficult, but i wouldn't advise doing this right now, unless you have a heated garage. too cold to be under the car for a couple hours
yeah no kidding, its chilly out right now
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm gonna go with Powerflex bushings. How do I determine if I need 60mm or 66mm size? What and where do I have to measure? Go easy, I'm new to car maintanence lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
You can get replacement bushings, but I think its recommended to do to the control arms at the same time.
The reasoning behind this is that any new or aftermarket control arms are updated, a different shape and may not work with stock bushings... (dont quote me on this).
The ball joints apparantly cant be replaced in the control arms, and they dont last forever either.

Instead of doing the job twice, I decided to buy it all at once, with sway bar links, to get rid of any BS clunky noises.

I got a whole meyle kit for a reasonable price, from the US of course.
What was included in the kit, what did it cost, and where did you get it replaced?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I think I'm gonna go with Powerflex bushings. How do I determine if I need 60mm or 66mm size? What and where do I have to measure? Go easy, I'm new to car maintanence lol.
like i said before, order the bushings pre-pressed into the housings. you won't have to measure anything, because you are replacing the whole unit.

if you order just the bushings, then you have to get the old bushings out of the housings, and the new ones in... don't waste your time or potentially money by doing this as something may go wrong.

I'm going to make your life easy.

Here is where to buy them...select "housing included"
http://store.bimmerworld.com/Product281

Here is the install DIY to follow.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ushing+install

ignore the part about taking the old bushings out of the carriers, as you are getting the whole unit.

the only thing not included in this DIY is that you may need some soap and water to slip the bushings onto the control arms.

Read the DIY before you begin to get familar with what you're doing. Goodluck!

Last edited by ImolaZHP; 02-26-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
like i said before, order the bushings pre-pressed into the housings. you won't have to measure anything, because you are replacing the whole unit.

if you order just the bushings, then you have to get the old bushings out of the housings, and the new ones in... don't waste your time or potentially money by doing this as something may go wrong.

I'm going to make your life easy.

Here is where to buy them...select "housing included"
http://store.bimmerworld.com/Product281

Here is the install DIY to follow.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ushing+install

ignore the part about taking the old bushings out of the carriers, as you are getting the whole unit.

the only thing not included in this DIY is that you may need some soap and water to slip the bushings onto the control arms.

Read the DIY before you begin to get familar with what you're doing. Goodluck!
Thanks a lot for your help. I hadn't noticed the first few times on bimmerworld's website that I don't need to measure when ordering the bushings in the housing.

Thanks again!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
polar3
2nd Gear Member

funny seeing this thread. I just got my bushings replaced at RMP just yesterday and it really improved the handling / ride quality. My old ones were in pretty bad shape and you could really tell going over any bump.
polar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
ChronicG
2nd Gear Member

did you put in the poly bushings? any squeaks? how is it?
ChronicG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

We sell both the Poly bushings, and the Meyle heavy duty bushings!

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPMOTORS View Post
We sell both the Poly bushings, and the Meyle heavy duty bushings!
Rocco, need some parts and labour pricing please:
1 poly bushing per side
2 meyle hd bushing per side
3 4-ring Angel eyes (labour only if you dont carry AE).
4 4-corner lowering (labour only for shocks/springs) car:e46 coupe

Sorry for putting you on the spot. Pm me if you are prohibited from posting price on this board. thanks
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

I don't recall what Rocco put in my vert a couple of weeks ago but I trust his judgement and recommendations.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: