Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Randy
2nd Gear Member

wire gauge help

AWG- american wire gauge.

can anyone help me out with this? I need to know the thickness of the signal wires that go into the stock bmw amp from the deck.

if you can please tell me the gauge (AWG) thats written on the wire

or

tell me the thickness of the bare copper wire (without insulation).. preferably with a vernier caliper - as im looking for a measurement in millimeters with at least 2 decimal places.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

I'd do this myself but I don't have my car right now.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Randy
2nd Gear Member

correction

Correction:

I need to know the AWG of the wires that go from the stock amp to the speakers.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
bigfeller
Propeller Head

Wires

All of the wiring in BMWs is excellent quality twisted pair copper. The wires from the amp to the speakers vary in gauge dependent upon where they terminate. The mids and tweets in the door and rear deck run on 18 AWG wire, and the woofers in the kickpanels and rear deck run on 16 AWG wire.

Unless you're running in excess of 100W RMS constantly on all channels (not likely) the stock wiring is more than sufficient for most systems.

Two things you should be aware of, in case you didn't already know. 1) BMWs that don't use fibre optic connections from the head unit to the amp, use balanced differential outputs (again through twisted pairs). 2) The reason for the BDOs and twisted pairs is because most BMWs are very noisey electrically- probably because the battery is in the trunk, and they have fairly complex electrical systems.

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Randy
2nd Gear Member

thanks so much for replying. I was really waiting for this info. sounds like 8 wires of 18AWG, and 8 of 16AWG (i won't be using my mids). My car doesn't use optics, so I'll keep in mind the info about electrical noise. I'm running about 30RMS/channel, but never turn the volume up that loud anyway - so i wont be replacing my wires. Thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: