Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
vinicomelo
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vinicomelo
Perfect size rims for my E46

Hey what size rims should i get for my e46? its green and right now only has the stock rims (16in i think..) this is my first bmw
vinicomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
drchuck72
1st Gear Newbie

Perfect is a relative term. It depends on a lot of things.

For some, they want a baller look and will go for the biggest wheel and tire that will fit into their wheel well. Everytime you skew in any one direction, something else has to give. In the case of the baller who will run a 19 or 20in wheel on an E46, the ride will certainly suffer considering the rubberband tires that will have to go on them to maintain the same diameter. Also, 19 or 20in dubs are considerably heavier than 16s so the unsprung weight goes up causing your acceleration to suffer. That, and the usual increase in section width that usually accompanies increases in diameter will result in decreased fuel economy.

For some, the perfect size would be the 16s that are already on your car. Tires are cheap, ride is comfortable, the car is set up for that size and fuel economy is decent.

Having said that, if you are looking for advice on what size wheels to get, 18x 8 in with 225 40R18 ET35-38 would be a relatively safe bet. It will look better with the increased diameter without sacrificing too much ride comfort. You will probably have to lower the car (especially if you are on non sport suspension) since increase in wheel diameter, decrease in tire aspect ratio and decreased offset (to make the wheels more flush with the wheelwell) will result in the monster truck look.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
vinicomelo
1st Gear Newbie

Oh man thanks a lot. I've been looking for some 18s for my 323i but i don't really know what to get!!! there are so many sexy rims but thanks for the input, would you happen to know how much to lower ? its all stock and not the sport .. 1in?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Yup what drchuck72 said was dead on. I was in the same boat as you, I opted out for 18's (also because the deal was good lol ) over 19's because of the weight issue. However it all depends on the rim also. Some rims in 19" look better over 18" rims, with that being said, other 19" rims can also look too big or "baller" IMO. What rims do you have in mind? I can probably post some pictures of the rims you're thinking about (I have probably a thousand pictures saved over the years when I was searching for rims ). With 19's you also increase your chance of bending them when going over pot holes.

I would personally go with 18x8.5 over 18x8 because I perfer the wider tires, but it's all up to you. The wider the tire the more $$$ also (in most cases).
Old 03-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
drchuck72
1st Gear Newbie

The drop with a car that is on non sport stock suspension is likely going to be in the 2-2.5in range. The Eiback Pro Kit (which has one of the more conservative drops on the market) is 1.4 in front and rear drop on a sport suspension car. My friend has this on his 325Ci Vert and it looks great but it also needs spacers since he is running 135M style OEM wheels with stock offsets (+47f and +50r).

As far as what wheels to get, depends on your budget. If you budget is relatively tight, Velocity Motoring CSL reps or V710s are a good choice. Available for about $1000 (not including tires) new in 18 x 8.5in with a ET35 offset. These look great (as evidenced by how many cars are running them). Also, it is an OEM look. Used OEM rims are usually pretty plentiful around the forums. The aforementioned 135M is the rim that comes OEM with the ZHP package. 4 OEM M3 fronts will fit on your car (18 or 19in). BBS wheels are nice but $$$. LMs and CHs are common choices on E46s as well as RS-GTs, REs and RGRs. The last 3 are very expensive due to the fact that they are forged and they only come in 19in sizes. BBS are very high quality though.

Just some suggestions anyways.

DC
Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
vinicomelo
1st Gear Newbie

Dudes that was awsome i'm looking at some right now

Tags
rims, size, wheels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: