Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Have you ever hit a car with a truck!!?? and not notice?
Common Fil, lol. If the trucks stationary, it'll feel the impact. On a highway - its a different story. People get side swiped by trucks all the time, guess what? Person ends up in a ditch and truck is nowhere to be found.

I wish Trouble65 was here to chime in.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
i'd imagine you'd feel the initial impact and unless the truck driver is also deaf he should probably hear some ungodly noises coming from front of his truck.
You would not feel the impact, even the car being pushed sideways will not be noticable. If the roads were dry you might smell burning rubber.

I still don't understand how the driver can't see the car, It's a cabover.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Ok, here it is.

From what I see is that the truck is a right hand drive unit.
More then likley the truck was making a left lane change, both vehicles were moving at almost the same speed. This would mean there would be no noticable impact to the truck driver.

Talk about a blind spot.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3 View Post
You would not feel the impact, even the car being pushed sideways will not be noticable.
i find this extremely hard to believe.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
Arash
6th Gear Member

I'd be shitting my pants! literally
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #21
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

i believe this was cause by the car trying to move into the truckers lane and something like the PIT maneuver resulted and the car got stuck this would cause the car to be placed in that position very smoothly.

Plus with the rain and the engine right under you there is no tires screetching..
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #22
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloush View Post
i believe this was cause by the car trying to move into the truckers lane (or vise versa) and something like the PIT maneuver resulted and the car got stuck this would cause the car to be placed in that position very smoothly.

Plus with the rain and the engine right under you there is no tires screetching..
exactly.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
i find this extremely hard to believe.
If the car was stationary, yes you would feel the impact. However if both are moving almost the same speed you would not feel anything.

The resistance the car is providing on a wet roads is nothing for a truck. Keep in mind most of these trucks can pull 150,000 pounds with ease. Pushing a 2,500 pound is a joke.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
If the car was stationary, yes you would feel the impact. However if both are moving almost the same speed you would not feel anything.

The resistance the car is providing on a wet roads is nothing for a truck. Keep in mind most of these trucks can pull 150,000 pounds with ease. Pushing a 2,500 pound is a joke.
i that case, with other ppl saying that this is quite common, the design of trucks should be changed in such a way that the trucker can either see or feel that he's plowing through something. because either the design is to blame or the truck driver. when i say to blame i don't mean for the original contact, that could go either way.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #25
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I think Darkness is right. I saw once when a truck driver scratched up the car passing next to it. He just kept going. It was funny to watch that beaten up car chasing the driver to stop. I guess the truck driver was tired or what not...
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
i that case, with other ppl saying that this is quite common, the design of trucks should be changed in such a way that the trucker can either see or feel that he's plowing through something. because either the design is to blame or the truck driver. when i say to blame i don't mean for the original contact, that could go either way.
There's a huge issue actually right now about trailers and collisions. It's not so much of drivers carrying cars with them. But more so with car underrun. What this basically is is when a car goes under a trailer on impact. A case or something was passed and thats why you have the reinforcement area on the back of the trailer so that in the event of impact, a car doesn't under run and the back of the trailer smashes through the windshield killing the driver.

you can see the cross member under the tail lights that prevent rear under run

but the current problem is side under run. I can only think of 1 company that addressed this: Robert Transport. You can see the side under run protection they have in this pic:
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #27
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
but the current problem is side under run. I can only think of 1 company that addressed this: Robert Transport. You can see the side under run protection they have in this pic:
That's used for aerodynamics.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Mirrors help a lot. I have one driver that has 8 mirrors on his truck to help him see better. I hate those mirrors, however he will not drive a truck without mirror.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #29
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Quote:
That's used for aerodynamics.
+1... and actually don't make much difference on fuel cost which was the anticipated goal.

...as a cabover truck, i would think that he would see something there, especially a car!...guess not.

Last edited by 1bmw1; 03-18-2010 at 10:35 PM.
1bmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
+1... and actually don't make much difference on fuel cost which was the anticipated goal.

...as a cabover truck, i would think that he would see something there, especially a car!...guess not.
It does make a big difference on fuel costs on a very windy day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: