Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #46
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style View Post

That being said however,how is it that when I have cruise control set to 110, I STILL get passed by trucks, more often then not, and it is now March , 2010?????

US trucks?
Some trucks are pre computer and can't be governed. Other trucks have switched to larger tires and can gain 10 to 15 km/h. Ignorance, some US and out of province carriers are not aware of the new laws.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 03-15-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #47
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3 View Post
Some trucks are pre computer and can't be governed. Other trucks have switched to larger tires and can gain 10 to 15 km/h. Ignorance, some US and out of province carriers are not aware of the new laws.
So then, in a nutshell, this new law is ineffective. Trucks are still going up to 120 , where as most idiot drivers go 90 now because of the 50 over law, they are afraid to go the speed limit. ( section of the 401 between Erin Mills to the 427), a nightmare.

I find that when I go 100km/h in the morning and after work, i am passing 95% of the cars on the 401....
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #48
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style View Post
So then, in a nutshell, this new law is ineffective. Trucks are still going up to 120 , where as most idiot drivers go 90 now because of the 50 over law, they are afraid to go the speed limit. ( section of the 401 between Erin Mills to the 427), a nightmare.
The new speed limiter law is dangerous to everyone.

Example;
Two trucks trying to pass each other on the 401 between Toronto and Cornwall. What took 2 min pre-speed limit now can take up to 15 to 30 min. Can you imagine the frustrated drivers stuck behind these trucks and what stupid stunts they will pull trying to pass them?

Another.

My first trip after the speed limiter was set going through the mountains in West Virginia.
I was approaching a hill during the night in patchy fog areas cruising around 60Mph at 1,400rpm with 80,000 pounds. Next thing I noticed my engine rev limiter kicked in. What I did not notice is that I was going downhill. I shifted to a lower gear by splitting my 12 and 13 gear. I applied my Jake brakes to “Full Engine Assist”. Looking ahead I saw a sign at least 8x16 painted in yellow “ALL TTUCKS SPEED LIMIT 45MPH USE LOW GEAR STEEP GRADE”
I knew that I need to get my speed under control I started to “Jab” on my brakes what this means is you step hard on the brakes for a second and release you are trying to scrub off some speed before your brakes heat up, you keep repeating until you get to the desired speed. You hold the brakes to long and you will glaze the pads this will render them useless.

By this time my speedometer was reading 70mph in a 45mph zone. In the next 1/2 mile I passed another sign with the same warning. I repeatedly jabbed my brakes trying to get down to 60Mph. Finally I scrubbed enough speed to attempt to take the transmission into 12th gear. I pushed the clutch in just enough to release the strain on the shifter. I shifted and I think I turned pale as a ghost, my jake kicked out and my engine rpm dropped to idle, I missed my shift. Truck transmissions are not like cars, you have only a 150 to 300 RPM window to select your next gear if you don’t you are not getting into another gear until you match the rpm with the transmission speed. Thank you Mr. Politician who never sat behind a wheel of a truck is dictating whether I or people around me will live or die.
Now I’m a designated as a “Run Away Truck” I turn on my 4 way flashers and start flashing my high beams. On the CB I hear chatter that there is a “Run Away Truck” to clear all lanes. I must have passed 4 or 6 trucks that were pulling over to the shoulder. I was now passing trucks at almost 100mph. Kept jabbing the brakes and scrub of speed to almost 75Mph however my air compressor is having a hard time keeping air pressure above 80psi. Therefore I have to get off the brakes until she builds up pressure over 100psi. If pressure drops below 60 psi all brakes will come on automatically and this is not a good thing.

On the side of the road is same size sign however this one says “Runaway Truck Ramp 1 Mile” Now I’m having a hard time keeping my truck in the lanes during corners. I even passed 2 cars that were in the fast lane, I guess flashing high beams and 4 way flashers and blaring air horns means nothing. I can now smell burning brakes and realize they are not as affective. ˝ mile down the grade there is a sign on the side of the road “Runaway Truck Ramp CLOSED” Which F’n politician thought this was a great idea.

All I kept hearing on the CB was “did he make it?” After 4 or 5 miles I could see the end of the downhill with a long straight away before you start climbing again. When I hit the straight away my truck was doing 125Mph. I coasted to a stop on the uphill climb. I applied my brakes and climbed out of the cab. My legs were like rubber, I could barely stand. Few of the trucks that I passed came up behind me and came over to me. After 20 min of truck inspection I was back on the road heading home.

The new law is absurd; it endangers people in the trucks and those around us. They should enforce the law by penalizing drivers that break the speed limit laws. In Ohio if you go over by 2mph in the truck they fine you, I speak from experience.

Back to your previous posts. If a truck driver cut’s you off there must be a very good reason for it, you may not understand until you place yourself behind a wheel of a big rig.

Just to mention something here, this incident was my fault; it seems I passed the very first sign without seeing it. I do remember passing 3 big rigs that were in the slow lane as I passed them I can remember a blur of yellow something between one of the trucks. However governing my truck took away my tool of getting the truck under control. If I would have crashed it would have been my fault 100% and the idiot of a politician would still go on making stupid laws.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 03-15-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #49
MarkD
Banned

Quote:

My first trip after the speed limiter was set going through the mountains in West Virginia.
When was this? You aren't driving trucks now, are you?
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #50
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:

Example;
Two trucks trying to pass each other on the 401 between Toronto and Cornwall. What took 2 min pre-speed limit now can take up to 15 to 30 min. Can you imagine the frustrated drivers stuck behind these trucks and what stupid stunts they will pull trying to pass them?

Another.

I was approaching a hill during the night in patchy fog areas cruising around 60Mph at 1,400rpm with 80,000 pounds. Next thing I noticed my engine rev limiter kicked in. What I did not notice is that I was going downhill. I shifted to a lower gear by splitting my 12 and 13 gear. I applied my Jake brakes to “Full Engine Assist”. Looking ahead I saw a sign at least 8x16 painted in yellow “ALL TTUCKS SPEED LIMIT 45MPH USE LOW GEAR STEEP GRADE”
I knew that I need to get my speed under control I started to “Jab” on my brakes what this means is you step hard on the brakes for a second and release you are trying to scrub off some speed before your brakes heat up, you keep repeating until you get to the desired speed. You hold the brakes to long and you will glaze the pads this will render them useless.

By this time my speedometer was reading 70mph in a 45mph zone. In the next 1/2 mile I passed another sign with the same warning. I repeatedly jabbed my brakes trying to get down to 60Mph. Finally I scrubbed enough speed to attempt to take the transmission into 12th gear. I pushed the clutch in just enough to release the strain on the shifter. I shifted and I think I turned pale as a ghost, my jake kicked out and my engine rpm dropped to idle, I missed my shift. Truck transmissions are not like cars, you have only a 150 to 300 RPM window to select your next gear if you don’t you are not getting into another gear until you match the rpm with the transmission speed. Thank you Mr. Politician who never sat behind a wheel of a truck is dictating whether I or people around me will live or die.
Now I’m a designated as a “Run Away Truck” I turn on my 4 way flashers and start flashing my high beams. On the CB I hear chatter that there is a “Run Away Truck” to clear all lanes. I must have passed 4 or 6 trucks that were pulling over to the shoulder. I was now passing trucks at almost 100mph. Kept jabbing the brakes and scrub of speed to almost 75Mph however my air compressor is having a hard time keeping air pressure above 80psi. Therefore I have to get off the brakes until she builds up pressure over 100psi. If pressure drops below 60 psi all brakes will come on automatically and this is not a good thing.

On the side of the road is same size sign however this one says “Runaway Truck Ramp 1 Mile” Now I’m having a hard time keeping my truck in the lanes during corners. I even passed 2 cars that were in the fast lane, I guess flashing high beams and 4 way flashers and blaring air horns means nothing. I can now smell burning brakes and realize they are not as affective. ˝ mile down the grade there is a sign on the side of the road “Runaway Truck Ramp CLOSED” Which F’n politician thought this was a great idea.

All I kept hearing on the CB was “did he make it?” After 4 or 5 miles I could see the end of the downhill with a long straight away before you start climbing again. When I hit the straight away my truck was doing 125Mph. I coasted to a stop on the uphill climb. I applied my brakes and climbed out of the cab. My legs were like rubber, I could barely stand. Few of the trucks that I passed came up behind me and came over to me. After 20 min of truck inspection I was back on the road heading home.

The new law is absurd; it endangers people in the trucks and those around us. They should enforce the law by penalizing drivers that break the speed limit laws. In Ohio if you go over by 2mph in the truck they fine you, I speak from experience.

Back to your previous posts. If a truck driver cut’s you off there must be a very good reason for it, you may not understand until you place yourself behind a wheel of a big rig.

Just to mention something here, this incident was my fault; it seems I passed the very first sign without seeing it. I do remember passing 3 big rigs that were in the slow lane as I passed them I can remember a blur of yellow something between one of the trucks. However governing my truck took away my tool of getting the truck under control. If I would have crashed it would have been my fault 100% and the idiot of a politician would still go on making stupid laws.
Thats a crazy story man, quite the excellent read. You must of been shitting yourself, honestly I would of too in that position. ( anyone saying otherwise is a dope)

It all comes down to courtesy, it doesn't exist anymore, largely due to ignorant drivers
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #51
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
When was this? You aren't driving trucks now, are you?
This was November, I do take loads to Florida once a while in the winter. Take a load down stay a week in Miami and come back.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #52
davericher20
black and blue

Holy shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #53
Junaid
4th Gear Member

well my luck ran out on my way to MI got clocked 137 in 100. $277 plus 4 points

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #54
Junaid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
wow shut the **** up on your stupid ****ing epeen wagging.

no one cares how fast you ****ing drive... ****ing these new guys coming here and bragging about what speeders they are.. Good job, you got your liscecne 3 years ago and you can push the ****ing gas on your car... you want a medal?

and ya, I think Darkness has more credibility regarding truck drivers. Maybe if ****ing morons that dont know how to drive didn't cut them off, then they wouldnt have a ****ing problem...
great post you want a medal?

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #55
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Great posts by Darkness95m3 in this thread. I just wanted to jump in and thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience and a great damn story-- civilly, eloquently, and humbly-- where most would have just given up at best or been trolled into a flamewar at worst.

This forum generates hundreds of posts a week from people who seem to think its purpose is to help them become the coolest dude on the internet, or share their original and unique take on the frustrations of the morning commute, but all that is just chaff to get through when one reads through it later. Thank you for providing some content which-- along with build threads, and advice threads, and great pictures of boobies-- will continue to educate and entertain whenever somebody stumbles across it down the line.

Cheers.
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #56
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
Great posts by Darkness95m3 in this thread. I just wanted to jump in and thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience and a great damn story-- civilly, eloquently, and humbly-- where most would have just given up at best or been trolled into a flamewar at worst.

This forum generates hundreds of posts a week from people who seem to think its purpose is to help them become the coolest dude on the internet, or share their original and unique take on the frustrations of the morning commute, but all that is just chaff to get through when one reads through it later. Thank you for providing some content which-- along with build threads, and advice threads, and great pictures of boobies-- will continue to educate and entertain whenever somebody stumbles across it down the line.

Cheers.
Some one has to shed some light for the young ones..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: