Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #46
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

I was just quoted $2000 by BMW Canada STEELER for DRL, so called inspection and Letter for recalls on a 2005 M3.
TALK ABOUT EXTORTION
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #47
328i Cab
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x Beemer View Post
I was just quoted $2000 by BMW Canada STEELER for DRL, so called inspection and Letter for recalls on a 2005 M3.
TALK ABOUT EXTORTION
Call US dealers for the recall letter, DRL should be able to be hooked up via GT1 so I'd call Bimmersport to do that. $2k is outrageous and is completely not necessary.

PM me for your sidewinder (laser cut) key blank and cutting needs. Have OEM pre-ews keys and replacement shells.
328i Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #48
JPTN
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
TALK ABOUT EXTORTION
To pass the RIV (Canadian Tire) inspection, all you need are:
  • daytime running lights (<$100 from an independent with a GT-1)
  • metric speedometer (can be the smaller #)
  • child tethers (usually ignored)
The only letter you need is the recall and yes, BMW still charges $400-$500 for it but you should be able to get it from a US dealer.

However, the BMW "inspection" at the dealership is required if you wish to maintain your BMW warranty. Otherwise, don't bother.

Hopefully I'll be looking for an M3 that has never seen snow from the US in a few months.
JPTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #49
nickdaytona
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
TALK ABOUT EXTORTION
Please pass on the name of the dealership so "the collective " can give serious consideration the next time they need something from the dealer ie. " Hmm, seeing as said dealer is an extortionist, I think I'll drive an extra 10 minutes so as not to give the bastards the business".
We are BMW enthusiasts, and should not be targeted for where our BMW's come from. I also have 2 old 2002's (locally grown) and if this crap continues I will make sure that none of my parts needs are dealer fulfilled.

RIV should also accept BMW dealer recall letters. By not doing this they are giving the impression they are incollusion with BMW Canada/dealers.

I hate to rant but this kind of thing shows narrow vision.
1968 Ford Mustang-Noni's summer car
1972 '02- son Alexs' first car
1997 BMW 740iL-Moms' pimp car
1990 GTR - the missile
1990 VW Corrado-422 HP @ 23Lbs.
1975 Kawi Z-1 900
Assorted dirt machines
nickdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #50
JPTN
2nd Gear Member

RIV accepts a variety of documentation to prove there are no recalls.
BMW is currently being sued for the "admissibility" letter they were ripping people off with a few years ago.

http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2009/...t-against.html
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #51
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

According to RIV web site documentation to be provided by BMW Canada so I called Budd's Hamilton dealer and was transfered to someone who answered my questions stating $2000 charge and $250 less if DRL already activated. I stated that it was extortion and he answered yes. I am sure I can get all docs free from US dealers and cannot see RIV not accepting it unless they are truely in bed with Canadian distributors.
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #52
Firewired
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTN View Post
RIV accepts a variety of documentation to prove there are no recalls.
BMW is currently being sued for the "admissibility" letter they were ripping people off with a few years ago.

http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2009/...t-against.html

They did not accept the printout I had from the service department. I asked for the specific letter that RIV wants and the dealer in the states was not allowed to give it to me.

You have to call BMW Canada for that letter.
Firewired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #53
328i Cab
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewired View Post
They did not accept the printout I had from the service department. I asked for the specific letter that RIV wants and the dealer in the states was not allowed to give it to me.

I have had issues with letters before, have had success with a work order from a US dealer with the vin and all the info for the car and the line: check for open recalls and 'no open campains' or something to that effect. That was for an Acura.

There is always a way, some just make it much more difficult than others. $2k is just stupid!

Keep everyone posted with what you end up doing

PM me for your sidewinder (laser cut) key blank and cutting needs. Have OEM pre-ews keys and replacement shells.
328i Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #54
JPTN
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewired View Post

As long as it has the VIN, there's no reason they shouldn't.
Ask them to lookup any existing letters. You don't have to have a unique recall letter.
i.e. they keep a folder of recalls for different years and models so they might have one for an M3 from a previous import

But that's the first I've heard of them not accepting a service report.
Ask to speak to someone else.

If all else fails, this dealership can get it for $400: http://www.unityauto.com/pricing.php
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #55
pdauphinee
1st Gear Newbie

try to get a Warranty vehicle inquiry report. I just reg my z3 with RIV and this report was accepted. I got it free from the small dealer I bought the car from.
pdauphinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #56
Peterkin
Potential BMW driver

Importing into Canada form the US

I am interested in importing a 2009 BMW 335I into Canada. As I want the BMW Warranty to be valid once imported I will need to have the inspection done by a Canadian BMW dealer. From my telephone conversations with a local BMW dealer (KW area) I have been told that the recall letter will cost me $500 and the instrument cluster will need to be replaced at a cost of $2000 due mainly for the DRL's to be activated.
I've contacted a couple of US BMW dealers who have advised me that the DRL's are standard on a 2009 BMW 335. Needles to day I am wondering what it is that a Canadian BMW deler actually does then as far as "value-added" for this $2000 they are expecting. The speedometer is already in both mph and kph so that's obviously not it.
Additionally, the recall letter letter can be from BMW USA and it is not necessary for the same letter from BMW Canada for RIV purposes - unless I am missing something here.
Comments?
Peterkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #57
pdauphinee
1st Gear Newbie

Try to get your recall letter for the dealer you purchased the car from if you can not get this then ask for a WARRANTY VEHICLE INQUIRY report. This is accepted by RIV. I have just put my z3 on the road the cluster was not changed because it is in mph and kph which is accepted by RIV. Try and stay away from the dealer, just a licence to steal. If you live in Oakville take your car to Bimmersport automotive, 6780 pacific circle , mississauga, 905-670-9200, Charlie knows his stuff inside and out.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #58
Peterkin
Potential BMW driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdauphinee View Post
Try to get your recall letter for the dealer you purchased the car from if you can not get this then ask for a WARRANTY VEHICLE INQUIRY report. This is accepted by RIV. I have just put my z3 on the road the cluster was not changed because it is in mph and kph which is accepted by RIV. Try and stay away from the dealer, just a licence to steal. If you live in Oakville take your car to Bimmersport automotive, 6780 pacific circle , mississauga, 905-670-9200, Charlie knows his stuff inside and out.
Appreciate your note but I want the local dealer (or any BMW in Canada for that matter) to honor the warranty so I don't see how your recommended bimmersport in Mississauga can help, unless of course they're authorized to complete warranty work on BMW's. Please explain.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #59
pdauphinee
1st Gear Newbie

Call bimmersport and ask charlie re warranty work, as for bmw dealer letter and cluster replacement try my suggestions bmw is out to screw anyone who is importing one of their cars so be cautious. I understand that there is a class action against bmw canada re the recall letters ect.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #60
Peterkin
Potential BMW driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdauphinee View Post
Call bimmersport and ask charlie re warranty work, as for bmw dealer letter and cluster replacement try my suggestions bmw is out to screw anyone who is importing one of their cars so be cautious. I understand that there is a class action against bmw canada re the recall letters ect.
OK, I will give Charlie a call then. Understand your suggestion for dealer letter. The cluster on a 2009 335I is in both mph and kph and the DRL's can be toggled on quite easily so you are right, it's just a cash grab from BMW Canada. Yes, am aware of the class action suit but this will likely get dragged along in the court system. I know, my Wife is a litigator.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: