Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name

Welcome to!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
5th Gear Member
Romaz's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 1,026
Need plummers advice

Ok, enbridge recently came into my house to change out my old water heater and replace it with a new one.

Shortly after they left I noticed a small leak coming from one of the faucets that has a small pipe running to the water heater and some thing else.

They came back to look at the leak and told me that its coming from the main house valve and that this valve has nothing to do with them and that I have to call the city to shut off the water to the house so that the faucet came be changed out by a plummer at my cost.

What is this bs? 14 years without any issued and now enbridge comes in and fu*@'s thing up!

It leaks like one drop every few seconds and is starting to make a puddle.

My question; Is there a way that I could get this valve changed without getting the city involved? Can a avarage plummer do this type of work for me and what is the costs accosiated with it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Romaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
6th Gear Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,367
Hope this helps abit... if it is the main valve, it has to be shut off from the main water supply and a plumber can do this kind of job...check out the link
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
3rd Gear Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 415
These valves have a tendency to suddenly start leaking if they've haven't been used for years. Especially if they contain internal rubber parts. Sometimes, you can stop the leak by readjusting the tightness (as tight as possible is not always best). When putting in a new shut off valve, I think that a ball valve is recommended because it is less likely to fail since there are no internal rubber parts.

Last edited by kenmar; 03-06-2010 at 12:06 AM.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
4th Gear Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St Catharines
Posts: 791
enbridge would have shut off the water and the seated rubber seals probably tore, you could try and do it yourself haha, just gotta be quick about it! (i kid)
gotta have city shut off and get someone to do it. its pretty easy job if you have basic mech skills, but cause its a main your probably better off paying someone ( no room for trial or error)
4cyl autotragic woes...
tg07lq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
5th Gear Member
Romaz's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 1,026
Definitely not some thing that I would attempt myself.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
Romaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
Driving in the fast lane
slemmer's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Missed in 'sauga
Posts: 2,983
When the city comes and shuts off the main and you only need to replace the washer, have the crew stick around for a few minutes so that you can have it turned back on or you might have a to wait awhile to have them return to turn it back on.

If you're hiring a plumber I'd have him install a ball valve prior to the meter in addition to replacing the (synthetic) rubber washer. Valves are pretty inexpensive.

'15 Ford F150 Lariat SCSB 4x4
'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
King Sirex
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
he probably does not have a water meter.

well anyway, if youre shutting off your water, unless you call in an emergency, the city is probably gonna take a while to come and shut it off. so be prepared to be without water for a long time.. specially if they leave so taht you can get work done.

definately get a shut off valve installed... specially if there is old plumbing in your house, you never know when it might come in handy. they should also install a release valve with the shut off valve.

------city water ------------------ shut off valve ---- release------------------ home

so if you shut off youre water, by opening the release all the water in the house should clear out though that valve, more or less.

the parts are mostly inexpensive - for the most part, but the tools are expensive, and so is the work.

Youre probably looking at a total of 200$ to 400$ to get both problems fixed. Thats a pretty wide estimate, but thats how most of these trade people operate.

Last edited by sirex; 03-06-2010 at 09:46 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
3rd Gear Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: REXDALE
Posts: 446
Looks like its the packing nut on the valve, simple fix (no need to call city) look at the the stem of the valve handle, you will see a hex shaped nut, first close the valve, and tighten the nut, not too much or you will not be able to reopen the valve, then slowly open and your fine. Most valves do this, even when putting in a new valve. Most cases this happens when the valve hasnt been closed in a while so when someone closes it no leak but when re-opened you have a tiny leak.
///eP is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018