Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
emas
3rd Gear Member

bushing

Brent,

I think that taking it off and doing it off the car is the smartest thing to do if you want worry free and long time lasting of your suspension. The only hard part here is the top 19 mm (i think) bolt that sits on the center of the CA. its a hard one and you will need to have enough clearance to do it from the bottom of the car. its really hard to take the old one off and even harder to put the new one on even with the liqiuds. it has to be done properly and allow the car to sit on a even surface for about one hour for each side right after the lolipop-to-CA install, so you need to it one at a time. I have done this alreay and tell you that my suspension and steering (also changed teh tie rods at the same time and aligned it at the tire shop) is perfect, yes perfect, with no issues what so ever on bumps and rough surface. two years now...on a highway its a straight line and never a shimmy, even on breaking. it was worth it to spend the extra on the job doing it off the car. what ever you do, think about the future and safety and the e30!

emas
emas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Ok, Although I did leave the arm on, but the bushing is now on it and bolted on to the car. I am going away on holidays tomorrow and really wanted to get the car to the point where I can move it, so I didn't want to chance trying to pull the arm off. I already replaced the other one and it was a lot of work.

The dish soap method worked well, I was able to put it on by hand (weight room! lol).

Thanks for all the advice.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by emas View Post
Brent,

I think that taking it off and doing it off the car is the smartest thing to do if you want worry free and long time lasting of your suspension.
I'm sorry but there's no reason why you should have to take the whole control arm off to replace the control arm bushing. The car was purposefully designed so that you wouldn't have to remove the control arm in order to replace the bushing. Removing the control arm to replace the bushing is just doing a bunch of needless work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: