Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
BMW_M_POWER
Euronation Car Meets

Warming up.

How long do you guys usually warm up you E36 before leaving when the engine is cold. I usually let the car idle for 10 minutes, but I've seen people that just start and go

BMW E46 330i ZHP, E36 Vert, E36 M3
BMW_M_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Steve30
Techno Viking

In the summer I only idle it for like 90 seconds till the secondary air pump shuts off then it needs to be driven to create oil pressure and remove condensation. Porsche even says in their manual to idle the car for no more than like 2 minutes. Also you should warm up everything else, if you are really anal about your car, like wheel bearings, exhaust etc.. I usually drive the car nice and easy for about 10 minutes.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

I normally let it warm up a little in the morning on a cold day, but no more than a minute or so. I do take it nice and slow for the first little while too.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
dil
2nd Gear Member

lmao i never use to warm it up somtimes cuz the heat never worked but im only 17 dont hve any patience had to get the engine rebuilt 328is
dil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
someguy
Singhy

on really cold mornings about a minute, then drive it nice and easy until the gauge shows warm, which is usually like 10 minutes.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Eurotakeover
BMW Obsessed

you don't need to wait long. But at least 45 seconds to a minute so the oil can circulate
Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
30 - 90 sec. As long as it takes me to get belted in, remove my smokes and lighter from my pockets, put BB in cradle and turn on the seat heater..... about 90 secs and then go slowly till engine begins to warm-up......Today's newer engines don't require significant warm-up, just respect the cold temps and give it time to warm up before punching it....
Factory M-sport package
Dakota Leather
BMW Individual Audio
BBS Wheels
PDC
Pretty much every able factory upgrade by previous (1st) owner.

Performance upgrades thread startied

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
BMW_M_POWER
Euronation Car Meets

warming up atleast couple of minutes gives enough time for oil to pump through the engine and get everything lubed properly before putting stress. M60's require atlest a 15min warmup in winter or else they drive sluggish. My 325 takes anywhere 5-10 minutes.

BMW E46 330i ZHP, E36 Vert, E36 M3
BMW_M_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
My point somewhat. You only need to get oil pressure up (about 30 sec) before driving. As I said, drive for conditions. In other words, when it VERY cold, drive slowly and don't push engine (you will feel the car improve) Also, cars DO warm-up better and more effectively when they are being driven as fluids will heat up more evenly and quicker....revving engine produces more heat than an idling one...... Not too mention that in the City of Toronto you can be fined for excessinve idling...... (doesn;t affect me......
Factory M-sport package
Dakota Leather
BMW Individual Audio
BBS Wheels
PDC
Pretty much every able factory upgrade by previous (1st) owner.

Performance upgrades thread startied

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M_POWER View Post
warming up atleast couple of minutes gives enough time for oil to pump through the engine and get everything lubed properly before putting stress. M60's require atlest a 15min warmup in winter or else they drive sluggish. My 325 takes anywhere 5-10 minutes.
15 mins? All you're doing is wasting gas.

You know when you start the car and it idles high sometimes? That's the motor/ecu going through a warm up process. Usually only takes a few seconds. As soon as the idle settles down you're good to go, but keep it <4K rpms until the temp needle is out of the blue.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

I wait until the idle drops to less than 1k rpm then take it really slow (below 2k rpm) and really light acceleration, even if it means not being able to keep up with traffic. I also leave the heater off until it gets to the mark before the middle to let it warm up a bit faster.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #12
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I let my car warm for about 2 mins, then get in and drive nice and easy. My car warms after about 2 mins of driving, so in about 4 mins total, I'm getting really nice heat.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: