Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
elroy
2nd Gear Member

whats interchangeable with e30s...

alright guys, im new to e30s and am looking to pick one up as a project. Ive done some research but still have a few questions

What parts can be changed over from year to year.

For example i know 88-91's came with plastic bumpers or diving boards. Those that came with diving boards can be easily changed to plastic's w/o much if any modification. For the pre 88'e e30's i've read both that it takes extensive work to swap plastics, but have also read that it doesnt....which ones right?

Dashboards - i know they crack easily. That being said are there any differences in the 3 series dashes from 1986 - 1991? can one from a 1991 fit into an 1986?

MIL - pre 87 have no check engine lights (if i read correctly) so how are they scanned for codes?
thanks

Last edited by elroy; 02-12-2010 at 09:58 PM.
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
emdog16
2nd Gear Member

Front fenders on all cars are interchangeable, all dash boards are interchangeable (unless RHD obv.), grills, hoods, trunks, sun roofs, aluminium bumpers swap to plastic bumpers lots of people do it its not that hard, front valences swap, doors on all 2 door models swap however they don't swap with 4 doors (obv.) however that question has been asked before. Suspension is all interchangeable except for "IX" suspension and for that matter the IX's drive line is totally different. The LSD's out of "IS" cars are interchangeable with the regular open diffs. seats are interchangeable a common swap would be the stock seats for the Recaro seats out of an "IS" version. All parts from 318's 320's 325's 316's are interchangeable. If its an e30 you can mix and match pretty well everything to make you own pride and joy. If you are looking for information your best bet is to use the search option on here, e30tech, bimmer forums, and rv3, because chances is that it has been asked a million times before and there is already a thread about it. Welcome to the world of E30 and hope you enjoy your new project!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
iignite
2nd Gear Member

the tailights are different from pre 88 and 88-91

the bumpers are different from pre 89 and 89-91
-front bumper and valence can be swapped
-rear valence can technically be swapped but modification is necessary
-88's have the newer valence but still metal bumpered, plastic bumper swap is straight forward
iignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
elroy
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks guys. alot more info than i expected, and quite quickly too. went to see the car, it needs some work but not a bad thing :d. drivers door is shot, bottom has rusted out.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
elroy
2nd Gear Member

anyone have carfax/carproof? pm please
Old 02-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Personally I'll never own anything but a euro pre 88 but thats just me, however you may have issues finding parts through some vendors pre 88 because thats when bmw did their "facelift" or updated the series. You can find parts easily for all years through forums and yes, many parts are compatible with all years even if online catalogues specify 88+. e30tech.com is by far the best source of tech info I've found for these cars.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: