Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #31
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,810


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
For example water -15 will freeze in 5 minutes (i dont know the actual number but for exampl sake)... But water at -15 being expsode to winds taht create a wind chill factor of -40 according to the chart posted earlier, will freeze in 1 minute. Because even though its only -15, the windchill makes the temp act like -40 even though its -15.


It should be called hence forth WIND CHILL, and anyone that says "it feels like" should be shot. It could feel like -100 to me.. you dont know what it feels like to me.


PS....
If im incorrect about water freezing quicker in the face of windchill vs. regular standing temp, please correct me. Id like to see that information.
Yeah, I understand that relating how the temperature feels to ones skin is a rude approximation because how it feels is going to vary by the persons metabolism, tolerance to cold (i.e. Russians in Siberia vs. people from Florida), etc. It's sort of like how a doctor might refer to a BMI to gauge your state of health... sort of BS because most pro athletes in top physical condition will fall under anorexic or obese, but generally speaking it's a good rough estimate for most people. For a scientifically proven method use the old style which used water as the medium and heat loss factors were calculated.

For the water freezing thing your right, but to clarify the water will only cool to the air temperature, not the wind chill temperature, it's just that because of the wind chill the heat is removed faster than if it was in calm air.
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #32
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291
 
craigIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chatham
Posts: 2,044
Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Okay, let's try this...

It's -10 outside, feels like -20 with the windchill. It may only be -10, but with the wind blowing at 20km, it makes it feel as though it were actually -20 with no wind. When it feels like -20 because of windchill, like I just said; it will feel like -20 with out wind. 2 people probably used to stand outside, and that's how they got the "feels like". Each person knows what -10 plus windchill feels like to them. While one might be more cold than the other, they still know it's -20 with windchill.

Everyone does feel temperature different, yes, but the temp outside, is still the temp outside. It's -10; to me it only feels a little cold out, but to you, it's pretty gosh darn bitter. It's 0 outside; to me.....I sweat my balls off, but you; it's a little cold.
__________________


flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #33
Blades
Your opinion is to long
 
Blades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,366
wow .. you really have to break it down to sesame street level for this guy.
If it feels like sweaty ass 30 degrees outside and you put a fan onto yourself and it then feels like 20 degrees (because your actually lowering you body temperature kinda like a cpu fan on a cpu) and your no longer sweating .. would you call that a decrease in temperature or how you feel?

[/url]
__________________
-=[ BL/\DES ]=-



All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown

Last edited by Blades; 02-10-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #34
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,774
Winchill factor does not apply to anything but humans. When it's -15 and it feels like -40, your car is -15, the road is -15, and the water frozen in the bottle under your seat is only -15. Water will freeze at the same rate, it is based upon the actual thermometer reading, not the "feels like" temperature.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #35
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291
 
craigIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chatham
Posts: 2,044
Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
wow .. you really have to break it down to sesame street level for this guy.
If it feels like sweaty ass 30 degrees outside and you put a fan onto yourself and it then feels like 20 degrees (because your actually lowering you body temperature kinda like a cpu fan on a cpu) and your no longer sweating .. would you call that a decrease in temperature or how you feel?

[/url]
That's a good way of explaining it.

About the fan thing, that works too. The fan does cool your body like a CPU fan. Everyone is different, so their body feels the same temp differently; like in Summer; some people sweat their balls off, while others don't sweat at all. The temp feels different to other people, but that is how that certain temp feels to them.
__________________


flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #36
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
"youre a dumb ****"

good way of proving your point.

I like how you cant prove your point without saying "feels like".

they use the formula from the CHART to tell you on the news what it feels like. they dont stand people side by side. That chart gives you an idea what the weather acts like with Wind.

its incorrect to say it feels like, it should just be called wind Chill factor period.

I dont know what youre trying to prove to me.... its as if you haven't read my posts at all.
__________________

Last edited by sirex; 02-10-2010 at 01:03 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #37
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Yeah, I understand that relating how the temperature feels to ones skin is a rude approximation because how it feels is going to vary by the persons metabolism, tolerance to cold (i.e. Russians in Siberia vs. people from Florida), etc. It's sort of like how a doctor might refer to a BMI to gauge your state of health... sort of BS because most pro athletes in top physical condition will fall under anorexic or obese, but generally speaking it's a good rough estimate for most people. For a scientifically proven method use the old style which used water as the medium and heat loss factors were calculated.

For the water freezing thing your right, but to clarify the water will only cool to the air temperature, not the wind chill temperature, it's just that because of the wind chill the heat is removed faster than if it was in calm air.


Wow, someone that reads, and understands what I write amongst all the lemmings.

Good post. I think were on the same page.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #38
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291
 
craigIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chatham
Posts: 2,044
Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
"youre a dumb ****"

good way of proving your point.

I like how you cant prove your point without saying "feels like".

they use the formula from the CHART to tell you on the news what it feels like. they dont stand people side by side. That chart gives you an idea what the weather acts like with Wind.

its incorrect to say it feels like, it should just be called wind Chill factor period.

I dont know what youre trying to prove to me.... its as if you haven't read my posts at all.
WOW, that was a little uncalled for. Take heed to the fact that I said, that 2 people probably used to.......good chance that's how they developed the chart. Also, how can you not say "feels like"? With windchill, it does feel like a lower temp than it actually is.

-10, add the windchill, to your skin it's like -20. That's because the wind is taking that heat your body produces away. It's not -20....it's -10 it just "feels" like -20. Your body may tolerate the cold better than mine, so I may be shivering and your not, but the temp is still the temp that it is, windchill or no windchill. You may tolerate cold better than me, but still our bodies know what a certain temp feels like; that does not change anything.

Don't sound so smart. The weather does not act differently because there is a windchill factor. The chart is a guide line, yes, but it demonstrates what it "feels" like with the windchill factor at a certain temperature.
__________________


flickr

Last edited by craigIS; 02-10-2010 at 02:20 PM.
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #39
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member
 
328IScreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: chatham ontario
Posts: 1,682
I think what he is trying to say is that regardless of how people tolerate cold they can still feel the temp.

If I tolerate cold very well and it's 0 outside I would say 0
if somebody hates cols and it's 0 outside they would still say 0
__________________
328IScreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #40
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
WOW, that was a little uncalled for. Take heed to the fact that I said, that 2 people probably used to.......good chance that's how they developed the chart. Also, how can you not say "feels like"? With windchill, it does feel like a lower temp than it actually is.

-10, add the windchill, to your skin it's like -20. That's because the wind is taking that heat your body produces away. It's not -20....it's -10 it just "feels" like -20. Your body may tolerate the cold better than mine, so I may be shivering and your not, but the temp is still the temp that it is, windchill or no windchill. You may tolerate cold better than me, but still our bodies know what a certain temp feels like; that does not change anything.

Don't sound so smart. The weather does not act differently because there is a windchill factor. The chart is a guide line, yes, but it demonstrates what it "feels" like with the windchill factor at a certain temperature.

Lol, what I said was uncalled for? What did I say that was so rude? Have you seen the other posters calling me an idiot and a ****tard, and "special"? Yet half of them haven't even read my post or taken the time to read what I am even saying..

They jump to a conclusion that "youre an idiot that doesn't understand what they mean by it feels like"

No,I understand very well what they mean, except that they are wrong in saying because like I said earlier, Feeling is subjective.

You cannot tell someone what it feels like to them. You can however use a formula (which that chart does) to explain how the weather acts.

Now youre saying but the Weather does not act like that. However, it does. Becuase the wind helps remove heat and adds forces to it. Now I dont know exactly how it works, but like I said, if you take water outside when its windy, versus when its not, when the wind blows on it it will freeze faster then when it doesn't.

So to say that there IS no difference, except that it "feels different" I think thats incorrect, because clearly the wind is having a COOLing effect. If there was no difference then it wouldn't need to be reported. But the frostbite table makes all the difference.

My problem is with the term that they use. Not the true weather effects.


anyway, im glad some of you have kept this discussion civil.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #41
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291
 
craigIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chatham
Posts: 2,044
Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Lol, what I said was uncalled for? What did I say that was so rude? Have you seen the other posters calling me an idiot and a ****tard, and "special"? Yet half of them haven't even read my post or taken the time to read what I am even saying..

They jump to a conclusion that "youre an idiot that doesn't understand what they mean by it feels like"

No,I understand very well what they mean, except that they are wrong in saying because like I said earlier, Feeling is subjective.

You cannot tell someone what it feels like to them. You can however use a formula (which that chart does) to explain how the weather acts.

Now youre saying but the Weather does not act like that. However, it does. Becuase the wind helps remove heat and adds forces to it. Now I dont know exactly how it works, but like I said, if you take water outside when its windy, versus when its not, when the wind blows on it it will freeze faster then when it doesn't.

So to say that there IS no difference, except that it "feels different" I think thats incorrect, because clearly the wind is having a COOLing effect. If there was no difference then it wouldn't need to be reported. But the frostbite table makes all the difference.

My problem is with the term that they use. Not the true weather effects.


anyway, im glad some of you have kept this discussion civil.
Okay, so basically the temp is -10 that is it. With the wind blowing it will be as though it was -20. Everyone is different. Therefore I can see you confusion. However; just because it may feel colder to you than someone else, does not change the actual temp, or the windchill factor.

The only way to describe it is to say it "feels like". -10 may not be all that cold to me, but to you, it may be freezing cold. To each of us, that is how -10 feels. Same when windchill is added on to make it feel like -20. To me it may feel freezing cold, but to you; it's unbearable. That doesn't change how it feels, because although our tolerance to cold is different, we each know what that certain temp feels like. So it's still the same temp, to both of us.

I tried to make it a little more easy to understand there, but I'm not good at explaining things, so that's the best I have. Hope it clarifies some of it for you.
__________________


flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015