Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-20-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
TMS subframe reinforcement plates

Has anyone installed this or heard anything about this? My car is getting pretty old and I need lots of chassis reinfocement. I don't mind making the car heavier. It already has the X-brace and urethane bushings all around. I heard this product from TMS actually repairs the subframe damage and stiffens the chassis. How hard is it to install? Thanks

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 05:35 AM   #2
bmer332i
2nd Gear Member

Haven't installed them on my ride however I think they're a good idea. As you probably know, the (non-M3) E36's are prone to the infamous rear subfame tearing issues (subframe tearing away from differential mounting points .. or something along those lines).

The sheet metal used in production is too thin and eventually suffers enough fatigue to destroy the integrity. I believe cars with modified suspensions and those driven enthusiastically tend to suffer this fate more so than others.

I would imagine that installation of the rear plates would be a real bitch if you did it yourself .. and fairly pricey if you paid someone else to do it for you. Removal of your driveshaft, differential, rear suspension, control arms and other things would translate into quit a bit of work and $$MUCHO DINERO$$ !!

If you can get a good price on labour I would definitely do it as a preventative measure, and if your rear subframe is already torn, it's good insurance against it happening again.
bmer332i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

I am glad this doesn't apply to e36/5. :-D

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Thanks for the info, but on their website it refers to the front sub frame and its failure under hard conering. I haven't seen any reinforcement kits available for the rear sub-frame, only sway bar reinforcements. Thanks

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:49 AM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

bmer332i,

This is what it said on the webiste:

"Every E30 or E36 driven hard or driven on the track will eventually have a failure in the front sub-frame. This kit will not only reinforce the sub-frame, but repair it if damage has already been done. Very detailed instructions are included with this kit. Welding required."

Motronix only charges $90cdn for this so its not too expensive. I hope its easy to install. You have me a little worried about the rear sub-frame. Sometimes when I put the gear in 1st and let go of the clutch to get the car moving I feel the rear of the car flexing a bit, same with when I change gears while driving, I hear a thud and I can feel it comming from the rear of the car, do you think this is transmission related or its the rear sub-frame failure you are talking about? Thanks very much for you help..

Bryan

Old 03-22-2002, 06:38 AM   #6
bmer332i
2nd Gear Member

Hey Bryan,

I would definitely have this checked out. The symptoms you describe seem similar to those I've read about on the Internet.
Even if your subframe is not completely torn you might discover that a crack is beginning to form. It is important that you get your car on a lift so you can check for any visible signs of damage.

Dave at Motronix discovered a small crack on my car on the passengers side rear. Obviously, I myself will need to have a rear subframe welded and reinforced in the near future. Dave has seen and repaired many E36's with this damage .. infact he's even seen it happen on a M3 (which is rare given their reinforced structure straight from the factory.

In the meantime I would avoid any hard launches off the line since you don't want to damage anything further if you already have a cracked or torn subframe. It's a really frustrating problem ... especially given the fact of the calibre of car we are talking about!!

Anyways, have Dave or somebody else familiar with this issue to look at you car while on the lift. They will know exactly where to look for this damage.

Take it easy.
bmer332i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: