Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Randy
2nd Gear Member

craft store clay for detailing?

I came across this website. I've pasted the link.

The summary is that you can use synthetic craft store clay to clay-detail your car. Could this be true? It says that synthetic craft clay (no, not play-dough) has essentially the same cleaning properties as the expensive car-specific detailing clays.

ps. did you know claying originated in Japan? .. I was actually in Japan last week, and clay bars over there are less than $10CAD for 200g. and whats more is that everyyyyoneee clays their cars.

anyway, tell me what you think about using regular craft store modeling clay as car detailing clay.

heres the link

http://www.detroitcraftmafia.com/38/...ay-as-clay-bar
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I bought a big clay bar from a crafts store $3. Same as the one sold in the box with the cleaner for $30

Just make sure you get the one that doesnt harden in the air. Mine is a pretty big bar that will last another few seasons.

Edit: bought mine at an Arts store - Vaughan Mills Mall
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Randy
2nd Gear Member

nice!

Ha! I knew it could be done!
Thanks for sharing this with us. I'll give it a try this summer.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I wish one of the detailing sponsors would chime in on this
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Just make sure you keep it wet if the clay dries too fast compared to the automotive versions.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Detailing clays are different. you may not think so but they are they are specifically designed not to fall apart in your hand or leave smears. also you can get mild clays or a more aggressive clay for harder to remove contaminants. i got a bottle of uqd and a jar of clay i think it is a 8oz bar for 15 dollars at the meguiars booth at the performance world show last year. they have both mild and aggressive. i wouldn't use craft store clay on my vehicles or any vehicles i clay.
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

I personally have never tried clay from the arts stores. I have only used it for making arts and crafts when I was little.

Just keep in mind that the clay you are using may leave significant marring from claying. They do not have the same regulations as vehicle clay. Particulates that may not be off concern for art usage is a huge concern in vehicle usage. Would I use it on clients vehicles or recommend it? No there are not enough regulations in place to make sure that clay for art usage meets the standards for vehicle usage.

The Riccardo Yellow and Blue clay bars that I sell contains three bars. For a vehicle that is clayed at least twice a year you will only need half a bar for each application. That being said you would only need a package for 6 applications. If the vehicle is extremely contaminated due to the area the vehicle is in ie. train tracks or industrial areas you may need to use a full bar instead of just half. The Riccardo Yellow Clay is $22.99 for 8oz.

I find the meguiars clay products from Canadian Tire are overpriced. You get one bar and some clay lubricant. From a value stand point you are better off buying the clay and clay lubricant separately. Riccardo and Optimum No Rinse or Chemical Guys Quick Detailer make great clay lubricants.

However all of this being said. I'll pick up a few bars from varying stores and do a test on spare vehicle panels about marring and consistently.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited by Nikku; 01-28-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikku View Post
I personally have never tried clay from the arts stores. I have only used it for making arts and crafts when I was little.

Just keep in mind that the clay you are using may leave significant marring from claying. They do not have the same regulations as vehicle clay. Particulates that may not be off concern for art usage is a huge concern in vehicle usage. Would I use it on clients vehicles or recommend it? No there are not enough regulations in place to make sure that clay for art usage meets the standards for vehicle usage.

The Riccardo Yellow and Blue clay bars that I sell contains three bars. For a vehicle that is clayed at least twice a year you will only need half a bar for each application. That being said you would only need a package for 6 applications. If the vehicle is extremely contaminated due to the area the vehicle is in ie. train tracks or industrial areas you may need to use a full bar instead of just half. The Riccardo Yellow Clay is $22.99 for 8oz.

I find the meguiars clay products from Canadian Tire are overpriced. You get one bar and some clay lubricant. From a value stand point you are better off buying the clay and clay lubricant separately. Riccardo and Optimum No Rinse or Chemical Guys Quick Detailer make great clay lubricants.

However all of this being said. I'll pick up a few bars from varying stores and do a test on spare vehicle panels about marring and consistently.

Cheers,
Nick
exactly vehilce clay has different properties then art store clay. riccardo is a great clay! im a big meguiars guy and your right the products at canadiantire are way overpriced. i would like to se the results of your test of different claybars on a body panel you wont really get any marring unless your using an agressive clay compared to a regular clay if your going to be comparing regular clays your not going to see any visable differences
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING View Post
exactly vehilce clay has different properties then art store clay. riccardo is a great clay! im a big meguiars guy and your right the products at canadiantire are way overpriced. i would like to se the results of your test of different claybars on a body panel you wont really get any marring unless your using an agressive clay compared to a regular clay if your going to be comparing regular clays your not going to see any visable differences
I'll do my best to get the clay test together. It will probably happen in the spring.

Meguiars have been putting out some really nice products. They're clay is great as is their polishes m105 and m205.

In terms of marring, a car will benefit from a light polish be it in the form of a paint cleanse by machine, sealant or wax application by machine or the more labour intensive one step and multi step polish. Black cars benefits from this the most as we all know black cars show everything. Again depending on the aggressiveness of the clay marring levels change and as such so does the solution to remove them.
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #10
Randy
2nd Gear Member

bump. has anyone tested craft store synthetic clays?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: