Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #46
hustler
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
shocks blowing through the chassis after a single jump
Aha, you are an Audi guy!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #47
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Aha, you are an Audi guy!
No I dislike Audi's as well for the same reason as I dislike 5vers, just less of a fault IMO with them as their quattro is damn great as is their chasis (ty for improving my vocabulary).

Cost to own IMO is worthless with an Audi as it really does break the bank to keep (as my bro called them "the christmas tree lights") off. I'd only get one with the Jay route with his lease scenario, the S5 is damn sexy.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #48
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Leasing reminds me of the old Cary Grant quote about ladies of the evening: "You pay them to leave...."

Yes leasing is predictable, and it is simple, but it is more expensive over the long run. I'd rather pay now than later.

The problem is that I know what the 540 needs, and I am simply getting tired of working on this car. I never had the chance to get on top of things, and I'll be damned if I am going to pay someone else to do it -- that would just lead to more money than a replacement would cost.

Admittedly, my requirements are a pain -- I need room, as I am built like an offensive lineman (that's a whole other thing I need time to work on), and I am tired of stupid stuff breaking.

There are a lot of things that the Japanese have figured out how to do cheaply and reliably, and there is no -- zero -- excuse for these parts to go as fast as they do, especially given what BMW charges. On the E39, see the mass airflow sensor, window regulators, wiper relays and cooling systems.

But you know what the saddest thing is? I look at BMWs in the Auto Trader, and get all melty when I sit in them at Otto's. I don't think that there's a cure for these things.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #49
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
No I dislike Audi's as well for the same reason as I dislike 5vers, just less of a fault IMO with them as their quattro is damn great as is their chasis (ty for improving my vocabulary).

Cost to own IMO is worthless with an Audi as it really does break the bank to keep (as my bro called them "the christmas tree lights") off. I'd only get one with the Jay route with his lease scenario, the S5 is damn sexy.
Sorry Jeff, but I'm still really confused by this. You dislike the 5 series, and Audi's because you can't afford them, but then at the same time you would be willing to spend 5 times as much and lease a new car? That just doesn't make sense. I could understand if you were to do it because you didn't want the hassle of having to work on the car, but the monetary reasons just don't add up. How much did it cost you to run your 5er? was it more than a lease?

and just for curiosity sake, does that mean you dislike any car that is high maintenance?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #50
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Don't ever date a model if you don't like high maintenance.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #51
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Don't ever date a model if you don't like high maintenance.
Why does my super model keep kicking me in the nuts?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #52
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Speaking of high maintenance and crushed giggleberries, guess what happened this morning? ASC and ABS lights come on. The dash, with the CEL and airbag light, is now very festive. [sarcasm] This car is full of more win all the time! [/sarcasm].
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #53
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Speaking of high maintenance and crushed giggleberries, guess what happened this morning? ASC and ABS lights come on. The dash, with the CEL and airbag light, is now very festive. [sarcasm] This car is full of more win all the time! [/sarcasm].
Damn man that blows. I have to say, even though e39's are high maintenance, you've had exceptionally bad luck with yours.

Did you check the production day? Was it a Friday?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #54
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I can clear that up or run a full diagnostics if you wish .
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #55
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Damn man that blows. I have to say, even though e39's are high maintenance, you've had exceptionally bad luck with yours.

Did you check the production day? Was it a Friday?

I think it might might have been in the middle of Octoberfest, and the BMW crew were feeling very festive that year.

That'll teach me to look at cars online. The Green Meanie's feeling slighted.

ECUconnection, if you can read the ABS codes, that would be great. I am hoping it's a sensor. Drop me a PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #56
everlast

Have you guys considered pulling the bulbs? I bet 90% of owners of E39 at this point ignore everything the car tells them and just drive it.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #57
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Have you guys considered pulling the bulbs? I bet 90% of owners of E39 at this point ignore everything the car tells them and just drive it.
Hey hey..I don't have any lights on.

I don't mind the lights. I like to know that the car is running right. I like a car to be in perfect running order or it bothers me so much that I dislike driving it, even if there are no noticeable signs of it. I can't even count the number of times I've repaired something that was in perfect working order, simply because I got a bad feeling from it. Part of my OCD I guess

Either way, the bulbs are a PITA to remove, they're soldered on micro LED's
Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #58
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Not my style either. I want fixes that stay fixed, and not band aids. Besides, if I were to sell the car, I would have issues with having pulled the bulbs. My folks raised me too well , darn it!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #59
everlast

You guys do know I was kidding right? My level of OCD is on par with the worst of them.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #60
chromius
6th Gear Member

Yeah, but you'd be surprised at how many people do just ignore lights. Not just on bimmers. I just can't it eats me up inside.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: