Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #31
chromius
6th Gear Member

The leasing scenario doesn't work for many people though. For several reasons. One you mentioned, is the number of km's per year, doesn't make sense for people who drive a lot, and only have one car to drive in.

Second is used vs new lease. I still firmly believe buying used is a far better option, financially, and for functionality (ie. bang for buck). By purchasing used you're letting someone else take the depreciation hit, and all you have to take is the maintenance hit, which 99% of the time is far less than the depreciation hit. And less than the monthly lease rate for a similar apples to apples car. Even for a high maintenance car like the e39. Leasing a new 535, would probably be around $1500/month, vs buying a used 540, which even at the high end of the maintenance scale would only be around $300/month, and no monthly payments for the car itself if you buy it cash with the money you would have used on a down payment for the lease. Then at the end of the day, you have an asset that you can re-sell later.

Also, as cars age their depreciation rate levels off, so as a result, by purchasing used, you have an asset, that will not lose as much value as new would. And also if you plan to keep your car for a longer period of time, even buying new, would be better than leasing.

Not saying leasing isn't right for a lot of people, I've thought about it myself, but I don't think it's the best way to go for all scenarios.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind, not many people have cash and the cost of borrowing for a used vehicle is much higher than the incentives from the manufacturers who keep the interest rates at less than 5%.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #33
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Keep in mind, not many people have cash and the cost of borrowing for a used vehicle is much higher than the incentives from the manufacturers who keep the interest rates at less than 5%.
True, I'm talking about people who have the money. Really though, if you don't have money, you shouldn't be leasing or buying a new car, you should be buying a POS beater.

It's one of my pet peeves when I hear someone complaining about how poor they are, then they head out and hop in their brand new 2009 sedan. Those people drive me nuts.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #34
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
While people like to joke about the e39 cooling systems, and 'typical' issues that they have, and the high cost of ownership (which are true), there are just so many good things about them. Hence why a lot of the guys complaining, are still driving the e39's regardless of their problems. Every time something goes wrong with the 540, I consider another car, but then when it's working right, it's just so much fun, and perfect in soooo many ways. Fast, comfortable, handles great, looks great, roomy, and IMO one of the best highway cruisers out there.
Meh you just fooling yourself, 5vers went the way of the Audi.
At least Audi's have a bullet proof cooling system and Quattro to go bahawing in the bush with after once you give up putting $$$ into it.
Well almost bullet proof. I do have to stop periodicly to clear all the hey out of the rad or it will begin to overheat.

Just wait, in 2-5 years time you'll be like yep... Jeff was right.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #35
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Finally crossed the barrier of 200,000 kms the other day. And what happens? Check engine light. Perhaps it's trying to tell me something?
if you don't have service records it's hard to tell what's been replaced and worked on. those v8's are typical in intake gasket leakage and valley pan gasket leakage. However, this is accompanied with a rough idling and running car. So if this symptom is not present, keep driving it. the dme might reset it self and the light may go out. You can hook up a comp to read the codes if you know someone who has one. that will tell you the possible problems if any exist. At 200k and nothing has been done. You're pretty lucky.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #36
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
Meh you just fooling yourself, 5vers went the way of the Audi.
At least Audi's have a bullet proof cooling system and Quattro to go bahawing in the bush with after once you give up putting $$$ into it.
Well almost bullet proof. I do have to stop periodicly to clear all the hey out of the rad or it will begin to overheat.

Just wait, in 2-5 years time you'll be like yep... Jeff was right.
Right about what? You didn't really make a statement.

And what do you mean fooling myself? I've already said it had a high cost of maintenance, that's not exactly a secret. Anyone who knows the stuff i've done to the car knows I'm well aware of what it takes to upkeep. In 5 years it'll be a 16 year old car, so yeah, it's still gonna need repairing, but it'll still be fast, handle great, be comfortable, and still a great highway cruiser. So I'm confused at what you mean...My statement still stands.

In the case of mine it'll probably be at 500,000km by then, so I most likely won't have it anymore because I'll have upgraded, but that's only after I've found something worthwhile upgrading to, and so far, as Phil said, there's not much out there that doesn't feel like a complete downgrade.

And for the record it's not even remotely close to an audi. It eats Audi's for a pre-breakfast snack, and shits them out before lunch.

except the new S5's those are sexy
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #37
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:

And for the record it's not even remotely close to an audi. It eats Audi's for a pre-breakfast snack, and shits them out before lunch.

except the new S5's those are sexy
Not off the road .

My statement is the novelty will wear thin as the years pass by with each new repair, and well sure I'm not alone in saying spare time to repair stuff sevearly decreases as the years pass to amplify the effect.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #38
hustler
2nd Gear Member

I haven't done any repairs in my just about 300,000 km 540i in two weeks! Of course, I haven't driven it in 10 days ...

F'n CPS.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #39
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
My statement is the novelty will wear thin as the years pass by with each new repair, and well sure I'm not alone in saying spare time to repair stuff sevearly decreases as the years pass to amplify the effect.
How long does this novelty take? So far it's been over 3 years, and over 100,000km, and on year 1 it stranded me in Vermont without a way home, and I'm still loving it.

When I get sick of repairing it, and sick of the car, then I'll just replace it. I don't really think that's 'fooling myself'.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
jeffrie
Addict

Took my Bro 7 yrs and 230,000K before he gave me his Audi, and well that was even with me fixing it for him (for beer), it also never left him stranded.

I call it fooling yourself as he knows and witnessed often the daily abuse I deliver to my toys and compares the bills, then he see's what he could have bought with the difference.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #41
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Took my Bro 7 yrs and 230,000K before he gave me his Audi, and well that was even with me fixing it for him (for beer), it also never left him stranded.

I call it fooling yourself as he knows and witnessed often the daily abuse I deliver to my toys and compares the bills, then he see's what he could have bought with the difference.
Sounds like he should have bought a BMW then

really though, I still don't see the relevance. Comparing your repair bills, to your brother's audi repair bills, doesn't really relate to my repair bills, in any way, except to prove that we all have repair bills..

Unless of course you could tell me what I "could have bought" with my money that would have been better.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #42
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:

Unless of course you could tell me what I "could have bought" with my money that would have been better.
10-15 sets of rubber for the rear, FI, suspension upgrades for all your toys, booze tits and a** for you and your buddys over the years....

You know the prime necessities of life.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #43
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
10-15 sets of rubber for the rear, FI, suspension upgrades for all your toys, booze tits and a** for you and your buddys over the years....

You know the prime necessities of life.
LOL, Rubber is cheap, Don't need FI with a V8, already did suspension upgrades, definitely no shortage of booze, and well tits and a** is free. All that plus a new house, and I still haven't paid all that much for this car, even including repairs. So don't worry, I'm still okay.

If I was really looking to buy a cheap reliable car, I could have bought a new civic, but that would have cost me MORE money than the 540 even including repairs, and I would have been reduced to a boring drive forever more. No thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #44
jeffrie
Addict

You ignored the "& your buddys" part...

No one deserves a "cheap car", god I'd hate to be one of them I hate my car but I can afford it scenario.
I myself do not touch Jap cars anymore as they HATE me. Each and every one I ever had fell apart within a year plus I seems to never understand or figure out the "tricks" come time to repair them, always stupid issues like nuts snap off instead of turn off needing a tap and die after, shocks blowing through the chassy after a single jump, fuel pump dieing cause the wire was ripped out of the floor, & the lovly full tranny oil dump once you pull the CV axle out....
And as if a window regulator can twist a door so bad in a civic that you can not close the door if it is in use at the same time.

I'd never consider a 5ver inferior to a cheap reliable car anyday.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #45
chromius
6th Gear Member

Haha, I ignored the buddies part on purpose. They're on their own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: