Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

FML - Frozen door lock

-14*C this morning and I was hardly able to open my car door. Once opened, it wouldn't close.

Repetitively slamming the door worked. However, does anyone know a better way to un-freeze a stuck door lock?

thanks!

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I always ended up just parking my car in the garage for a night with a heater on.

It's gotta thaw it out, but also get the water to drain away.

If you've got the time and inclination, opening the door panel and ensuring it's dry then adding some WD40 will help.
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
sof220
1st Gear Newbie

canadian tire sells "lock de-icer"" something you squirt into the lock and it unfreezes, worked for me last winter (Y)
sof220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

hold your door handle up, the lock has a heater. mine have iced up daily the last few days (parked in country with wind against my door off a field).
hold it up for a few seconds and its good to go
Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

or do you mean the door retentino system and door seals?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg07lq View Post
or do you mean the door retentino system and door seals?
Yes, I'm referring to the mechanism that holds the door closed. This morning when I gently 'slammed' it, the door would just bounce back.

I'm thinking Deep's suggestion of wd40 is my best bet, as much as I don't want to disassemble my door in this eph-ing cold.

Though it wasn't my issue this morning, I am interested in the lock heater feature. Does it only come with the cold weather package or is it on all of our cars?

What can I do to stop the weather stripping from freezing to the door and window? Would Vaseline (or suggest some other water displacing substance) on the seals help or just make a mess?

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
^^ My door (E39) did the same thing last night....I get this once or twice every winter....

Interested to hear the solution....other than hot water and heating up the car while driving
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
digiital
5th Gear Member

As others have said, pull the handle up, let go and pull again this time hold for more than 30 seconds. The lock will unfreeze.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain
digiital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I'm assuming that will work to un-freeze the lock only, when your key won't turn in the door, or is my assumption incorrect? If it happens again tomorrow, I'll test it out.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

yeah the above is only for a frozen lock in which the key wont turn. for the door seals i believe you can get a treatment at a local parts store. my bet for locking mechanism would be wd40 as it repels water
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

I was having a lock sticking problem with my current car and I couldn't find any WD-40 so I went to Canadian Tire to buy some. When I was there I saw some stuff called trucker's lubricant and I decided to try it out. That stuff is like magic, it lubes a million times better than wd-40 and actually coats the surface while wd-40 just drips off. It made my sticking, loose and crunching door locks like new and unfroze my filler cover and trunk popping levers and cables.

I would get that stuff because it's more than worth it. And you can spray down the latch mechanism too.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: