Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
dmytro
2nd Gear Member

How to replace bulbs in Depo Headlights?

I picked up a pair of E30 Depo headlights recently. They don't come with bulbs. I don't know what to unscrew or open up, because it all seems very tight and I don't want to break anything.

Anyone had experience replacing bulbs on these headlights? Advice/Help

Cheers

dmytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

turn the rear cap a qaurter turn rougly, it should come off. ( the rear cap is the part where the connector plugs in, disconnect the connector to prevent breaking the wires)
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
dmytro
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for info. OK let me see if I got this right. Its so tight and easy to break it off the headlight itself.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Yes that rear cover should turn off. It likely is fragile, thats why your generally better off buying the real thing.

Your going to have to take it easy and turn slowly to prevent it from breaking. Make sure you have these lights up to room temperature before doing this, if they are cold they will be more likely to break.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
dmytro
2nd Gear Member

These are reall Chinese piece of crap. they don't come off. Clearly you either don't have Depo headlights or never replaced the bulbs.

I figured out how to take off low beam, just unscrew those 3 screws, but high beam is really stuck. I even got rid of the silicone and can't take it out. something is holding it against the glass.

I feel like its a toy, they just sell it to you, you are happy for a moment and than.....just toss them to trash or pass them on.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

I own Bosch euro smilies currently, but had a set of depo smilies I got with a parts car last year. I took them apart because I saw loose screws and wanted to investigate. They are really garbage lights. My suggestion is cut your losses, sell em for 100.00 or so in the classifieds and wait for a set of Hella or Bosch euro smilies to pop up.

You may pay double or more for em, but they are WELL worth the money in so many ways.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: