Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

I build a PC recently, actually 2 weeks ago.
Phenom II 955 (3.2 ghz Black edition)
Asus m4a785, matx with onboard ati 4200, with sideport 128mb memory
4gb pc 1600 patriot low latency
500 gb, 32mb cache WD caviar black
oh and a pioneer dvd burner.

i need a video card. haven't decided what to go with, going to get something after christmas, or during. depends on what deals i find.

i spent 550$ for my setup (taxes included in that figure).

truth be told Canada Computers has pretty decent/competitve prices for most parts. You might save a little bit ordering online from various vendors. When i selected simialr parts from NCIX it came to like 520$ total. But then you think about it, if the shit is dead on arrival, it be such a bitch to deal with. plus i like supporting the local guys.

Is SSD really worth the price for the average user? Seems awfully expensive for the amount of space you get.

Last edited by sirex; 12-08-2009 at 08:09 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
I build a PC recently, actually 2 weeks ago.
Phenom II 955 (3.2 ghz Black edition)
Asus m4a785, matx with onboard ati 4200, with sideport 128mb memory
4gb pc 1600 patriot low latency
500 gb, 32mb cache WD caviar black
oh and a pioneer dvd burner.

i need a video card. haven't decided what to go with, going to get something after christmas, or during. depends on what deals i find.

i spent 550$ for my setup (taxes included in that figure).

truth be told Canada Computers has pretty decent/competitve prices for most parts. You might save a little bit ordering online from various vendors. When i selected simialr parts from NCIX it came to like 520$ total. But then you think about it, if the shit is dead on arrival, it be such a bitch to deal with. plus i like supporting the local guys.

Is SSD really worth the price for the average user? Seems awfully expensive for the amount of space you get.
I use my SSD as my primary drive for windows, apps, games, etc. This speeds up my comp in many ways but all my other crap mp's and videos are on my secondary which isnt ssd. its a cheaper solution this way.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
sirex
King Sirex

do you think its worth the price and is the boost significant enough to warrant it in an average pc build/gaming rig? i didn't think there would be much difference because SATA isn't all that fast and there doesn't seem to be much in the way to really take advantage of it.

Last edited by sirex; 12-09-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
do you think its worth the price and is the boost significant enough to warrant it in an average pc build/gaming rig? i didn't think there would be much difference because SATA isn't all that fast and there doesn't seem to be much in the way to really take advantage of it.
There is a big difference. However for the price I would wait another 4 to 5 months and like anything else in electronics the price will drop by 1/2.

Oh,,, big difference is a 1/10 to 3/10 sec
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Yeah, there's a fairly big difference, but I don't know if it's worth the price tag.

I'm leaning towards skipping it for now, and maybe doing it in a year or so. I was only anxious to do it now because it would be much easier for me to install the OS on it from day one and go from there... I already have a normal hard drive on order, for storage purposes. I guess I'll just use it.

If you're looking for a video card, decide your price range and go from there.... it's so easy to get carried away... haha. But there are some good deals to be had for sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
sirex
King Sirex

ya it seems way over priced. let the rich enthusiasts buy it up and bring the price down for us. I wont even bother looking SSD until they come in 500 gb formats and are priced similar to current hard drives.

One benefit I could see from SSD drives, if youre downloading illegal material, you could probably wipe that hard drive in a second and authorities would have no recorse to recover the materials since SSD relies on electrical current/gates to store memory and not magnets.

For video cards im looking at the ATI 5000 series.. probably around 150-200$ maybe theylll have like a 250 card with some rebates Ill probably grab that..
Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Fel
Not Banned

If you're looking at the Radeon 5XXX series, here's what I've learned....

The 57XX are both kind of mediocre compared to their big brothers and are kind of "me too" cards when it comes to having DirectX 11 support and all that. Avoid those, wait from something better or for prices to drop.

The Radeon 5850 and 5870 are both excellent cards.... but good luck finding one. The 40nm process is turning low yields, and the cards that are actually making it out the door are heavily allocated. When the 5850 released in October, it had a price tag of $259. Now they sell for $310 and up. Scarcity and super high demand have murdered the value they held.... unfortunately it looks like it'll be this way for a little while too, even as far as March.

The next part of the story is when March does come around, then new Fermi cards from nVidia should be showing up... introducing some DX11 competition and hopefully bringing the prices down again. But until then, I wouldn't expect any miracles.

Honestly, have a look at the 4870 I posted.... for $145, you're getting a wicked deal. It's about on par with the 5770, minus the DX11, but it might be a while before that starts getting used to it's fullest. It looks like the discount is still active "until supplies last"... might be worth the money.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
ya it seems way over priced. let the rich enthusiasts buy it up and bring the price down for us. I wont even bother looking SSD until they come in 500 gb formats and are priced similar to current hard drives.

One benefit I could see from SSD drives, if youre downloading illegal material, you could probably wipe that hard drive in a second and authorities would have no recorse to recover the materials since SSD relies on electrical current/gates to store memory and not magnets.

For video cards im looking at the ATI 5000 series.. probably around 150-200$ maybe theylll have like a 250 card with some rebates Ill probably grab that..
Actually you can recover the data .. I would use the same program to recover lost data on usb sticks, micro SD cards, etc.

There is ACTIVE undelete that works well and GetDataBack for Fat

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
sirex
King Sirex

really thats bullshit. i thought the reason why HD were easy to recover was because of the residual magnetism, or w/e it is.

Ya that XFX looks nice. Ive seen similar price points with the MSI 4870, with MIR too. They just seem to change around with who gets the MIR during which season. What a bitch keeping track of it. Part of the reason why I held off buying a new PC for so long, I was getting pissed off with the price points, then just decided to go for it. Oh well I dont need a video card yet, so ill hold off for now. Until I get pissed off at that too and just buy some top of the line card.

Last edited by sirex; 12-09-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
Actually you can recover the data .. I would use the same program to recover lost data on usb sticks, micro SD cards, etc.

There is ACTIVE undelete that works well and GetDataBack for Fat
FAT as in the Filesystem FAT?

Who still uses that? Maybe on a USB drive of lesser sizes... but not on a 80GB SSD/HDD
Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #26
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
really thats bullshit. i thought the reason why HD were easy to recover was because of the residual magnetism, or w/e it is.

Ya that XFX looks nice. Ive seen similar price points with the MSI 4870, with MIR too. They just seem to change around with who gets the MIR during which season. What a bitch keeping track of it. Part of the reason why I held off buying a new PC for so long, I was getting pissed off with the price points, then just decided to go for it. Oh well I dont need a video card yet, so ill hold off for now. Until I get pissed off at that too and just buy some top of the line card.
ATI's very competitive with the prices. The 4870 is a good buy for the price compared to the equal card of Nvidia. Its personal opinion and taste when it comes to video cards but I had both and I can tell you that if it were for gaming I would go with Nvidia but if it was for graphics like doing stuff through Adobe Premiere I would grab an ATI.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #27
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
FAT as in the Filesystem FAT?

Who still uses that? Maybe on a USB drive of lesser sizes... but not on a 80GB SSD/HDD
its just the name of the software .. it can do Fat32. And for your information Fat is the only file system compatible with all operating systems like Mac OS, Window, Linux/Unix .. reason why USB is FAT.

Besides I was just naming types of software .. try Active undelete on an SSD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: