Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

2006 X5 4.4 or 2007 530ix - need advise pls

Hey Folks,

I currently have a 325/e46 that served me well...9 years & 200k km later I decided it's time to get a new(er) car... a 4x4, to help me during the winter...so I'm definitely looking at an xDrive...but which one?...

Well, after a long debate, going through 3,5 & X series, I narrowed it down to the following 2: 2006 X5 or 2007 530iX both at around 60k km ...but which one?...they are both comparable in price, the e60 does have the iDrive, and drives very smooth, but the e53 feels more robust, plus I feel that I would need a 4.4 to compensate for the extra weight (I would have loved to get the 2007 X5 w/iDrive, but it's $10-12k more expensive)...so, since this is an X5 forum, I'm wondering how is the reliability with the e53 and what are some of the things that I should be looking out for in terms of failure?...with my e46, other than regular wear & tear, the only big issues I had were with the alternator, water pump & steering rack.

Any help I can get to help me decide, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by Rockblock; 11-18-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Rockblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
jet2zo
1st Gear Newbie

E53 x5

i had the same dilemma for 4months, i wanted to get 530i originally 2004-2005 but rwd, alota people say 530xi doesnt feel as great drive/control wise thats why i was looking at just rwd. but living in canada xdrive is a good thing to have. i made a choice of going with 2005 x5 3.0i. just because power is not a big factor for my needs, mind you 3.0i is smooth and faster than most v6 SUVS out there. the nice thing about 5series is that its the new style and has lotsa new technology in it like idrive, and nicer finish. I drove xdrive 530 and it kinda felt weird, i always say if its a car it has to be fun to drive and the xdrive takes the fun part out of it. And for a SUV x5 is the best in my opinion. I love my truck, smooth, enough power, beautiful on ramps and cornering, and better than most 4x4s out there, ive been dealing new n used trucks for past 4 years and bimmers are my favs. Mind you 4.4 and 3.0 go for similar price now days, i decided on 3.0 just for maintenance and better reputation. i got premium pack with montana, parktronic (pretty useless), new 18" wishbone spokes from 4.4, and cold weather package (heated steerin is sik), just missin the panoramic. i was shocked to see savings on gas compare to cherokees even though its premium. im heavy footed and all city at 15.5l/100km. p.s. 2004+ x5s have new xdrive systems that are great.
jet2zo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet2zo View Post
i made a choice of going with 2005 x5 3.0i....the nice thing about 5series is that its the new style and has lotsa new technology in it like idrive, and nicer finish.
whaaat???...the 2005 X5 has idrive?...I thought they only introduced this starting Nov 2006, with the E70 models...if that's the case, I'm sold !!!...can you show me pics? Thx

Last edited by Rockblock; 12-02-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Rockblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
jet2zo
1st Gear Newbie

old body style x5 dont have iDrive i ment 5series sedans have cool toys, but x5 i just prefer cos if you want xDrive for winter might as well go with x5 2004+, cos in sedans xDrive takes away the fun factor of drivin a sedan bimmer. P.S. my buddy has iDrive its a cool option but sometimes gets annoyin while driving.
jet2zo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I would go with the 530xi .. just as much room as the X5 but its NOT American built. The drive in a 530 and X5 are completely different. I think you would fall in love with the way the 530 handles over the x5. You won't have any problems in the snow with the xi either and it will be a lot better on gas.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I would go with the 530xi .. just as much room as the X5 but its NOT American built. The drive in a 530 and X5 are completely different. I think you would fall in love with the way the 530 handles over the x5. You won't have any problems in the snow with the xi either and it will be a lot better on gas.
Hmmm....need to do a few test drives...how does the 530xi compare to your 330xi?...bare in mind I'll be upgrading from a 325i

Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockblock View Post
Hmmm....need to do a few test drives...how does the 530xi compare to your 330xi?...bare in mind I'll be upgrading from a 325i
its heavier and more expensive on parts .. If you want the wagon get the 530 if not try a 330xi .. you might like it.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
arek
3rd Gear Member

BMW 530i RWD is 50lbs heavier then the 330i E46 sedan..

don't let the big car look fool ya!
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
BMW 530i RWD is 50lbs heavier then the 330i E46 sedan..

don't let the big car look fool ya!
i was comparing the x5 to a 330xi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: