Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #16
es175
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg07lq View Post
that piece will come off. do you ahve a bently manual ? its pretty simple run in these cars. pull it all off, fish it through and voila your done! even has grommets to pass through to the trunk haha
Thanks for the info. I don't have the manual yet but I was able to get the wires from the trunk through the hole with the plug.

I will take another look at the piece of plastic trim with the trunk and hood release, my preference is to avoid the side of the car with the power cable if possible.
es175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
InFBMW
1st Gear Newbie

Stock wires are just fine! I run 150 RMS on stock wires for 2 years with no problem or any sound quality loss. However, I would never regret putting better wires. It's all up to you.

Cheers
InFBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

its easy to avoid, if you need pics i can send them
tg07lq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
bigfeller
Propeller Head

Stock

As mentioned, the stock wiring is 16 AWG (mids and tweets) and 14 AWG (woofers). This is PLENTY. On top of that, it's all twisted pair wiring of seemingly excellent quality. The E36 chassis is electrically noisey, and twisted pair wiring is designed to minimize induced noise. You'll have to spend a lot of money to get an equivalent quality wire with the same amount of noise suppression designed in.

As for the wires being old, that's not a concern- copper doesn't deteriorate signifcantly over time, and even if you do get some oxidation, cupric oxide acts as a barrier to further corrosion (think of the green copper roofs you see on some older buildings- unlike iron or tin which will continue to rust at an increasing rate as more rust is formed).

Finally, don't believe the hype. Companies spend big marketing money to convince people that their proprietary oxygen free copper and tungsten-welded blah blah is 800% better than the competition. Time after time, independent blind listening test have shown, even in anechoic chambers, that the audible differences in cabling are extremely miniscule, or even undetectable by most ears. Factor in the mobile audio environment, and the difference is even less.

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

^this
how did you make you make out with the install?
after tearing into my audio i realized the quality of it. its far superior to other OEM equipment. ill be using stock wiring myself.
p.s , post pics?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
es175
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg07lq View Post
^this
how did you make you make out with the install?
after tearing into my audio i realized the quality of it. its far superior to other OEM equipment. ill be using stock wiring myself.
p.s , post pics?
Hey tg07lg,

Not sure if you are asking me the question but if you are, I just replied to your pm. Sorry for the delay.

To recap my pm:

I ran my wires from the trunk to the new HU down the left side (thanks for your help with that). I tapped into the speaker wires coming off the HU and kept the stock wiring going to the doors.

I've replaced my front speakers with 5.25 components. Since I didn't run new wire to the doors I had to also stuff the crossover for the speakers in the door as well, turned out not to be a big deal.

Right now I'm finishing up the subwoofer box I built and will install it in a couple of days. I still need to find a good location for my amp, it will likely end up vertically against the left driver side.
es175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #22
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Replaced all my speakers with stock wiring minus the rears. Worked perfectly!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #23
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

just got the pm now, sounds like it all went well. next step is to post some pics.
ive gotta get around to doing mine, got caught up doing everyone elses that i neglected my own, and now that its cold im sure that will be my excuse for not doing them. i made an mdf rack to hold mine against the quarter by the the d-side light. seems a good location, works well and doesnt interfere. i can shoot ya some pics if you want

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: