Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 04:51 AM   #1
e46it
5th Gear Member

Adjusting the handbrake

To adjust the handbrake you need to carefully pull up the leather gaiter by the rear of the base base and pull out of the way it turn until it's inside out. Put the car in 5th gear and slowly release the handbrake. Undo the top locking nut and adjust the handbrake travel by tightening or loosening the lower bolts i.e. tightening makes the travel shorter.

The handbrake is adjusted correctly when it takes between 5 and 10 clicks to be fully on, you can check both rear brakes are equally adjusted by slowly rolling the car forwards and stopping it on the handbrake, if you feel it rocks the car, the side that rises first is this side that is braking more than the other so either loosen it off a bit or tighten up the otherside, don't rely on looking at the two threads and adjusting each one until they are equal as this doesn't take into account cable stretch and differing pad wear etc - this can clearly be seen in the picture.

One they are adjusted equally tighten the top locking bolts and clip the handbrake leather gating back into place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handbrakeadjustcloseup2.jpg (36.7 KB, 1417 views)

2004 BMW 325i Touring SGM
2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000|1992 JDM Civic SiR RHD Black
2000 BMW M5 Avus Blue (GONE)
2002 BMW 325i Touring TVM (GONE)
1994 BMW 325i Saloon Black (GONE)
e46it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
///MG
3rd Gear Member

It's funny that you just posted that. A week ago I was thinking that I should probably adjust my handbreak because it was getting loose. 2 days ago, when I was driving I saw that the front of the boot was loose so I decided to take it off (flipping it inside out) and saw the 2 adjusters.

I assumed both had to be at the same distance but I'll be sure to go back and check that both breaks engage equally.

Thanks for the post. Very helpful!
2004 Mitsubishi Galant SOLD
1993 Plymouth Duster SOLD
///MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
bbojangles
2nd Gear Member

there are adjusters inside the rear drums also.. I think this is an oversimplified instruction.
bbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
DANE
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to DANE
how difficult is it to change the cable
DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Eurotakeover
BMW Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbojangles View Post
there are adjusters inside the rear drums also.. I think this is an oversimplified instruction.
+1

I did this and dident do anything. I think this is just so you can have the brake fully functional faster when pulling up. For me, the wires need to be tightened so this wasent much use. But for people who want the brake to engage quicker then yah... go for it...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Did this because I had a ratting in the back. Tightened everything up perfectly but now I don't get a parking brake light on the dash. Weird.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
325vert
1st Gear Newbie

Would this be the same for an 95 e36. I'm planning to adjust in the spring, but I was recently told I need to go inside the rear drums to adjust. Any idea on how to do this?
325vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
bbojangles
2nd Gear Member

how do these guys get away with this?

why flog designer hand bags to car guys? dont they know we already have a lot of hand bags? LOL
bbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
This is the wrong way to adjust a handbrake IMO. Shouldn't mess with the cables, once it comes time to put in new shoes and crap, you will run out of travel, and will have to adjust the cables yet again.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
B-mZ
2nd Gear Member

nice post, my ebrake is COMPLETLY done lol
B-mZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
mikemac
99 ///M3

You shouldn't have to adjust at the lever unless its not grabbing L+R equal. Other than that you should be adusting throught the bolt hole in the rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S62M5 View Post
To adjust the handbrake you need to carefully pull up the leather gaiter by the rear of the base base and pull out of the way it turn until it's inside out. Put the car in 5th gear and slowly release the handbrake. Undo the top locking nut and adjust the handbrake travel by tightening or loosening the lower bolts i.e. tightening makes the travel shorter.

The handbrake is adjusted correctly when it takes between 5 and 10 clicks to be fully on, you can check both rear brakes are equally adjusted by slowly rolling the car forwards and stopping it on the handbrake, if you feel it rocks the car, the side that rises first is this side that is braking more than the other so either loosen it off a bit or tighten up the otherside, don't rely on looking at the two threads and adjusting each one until they are equal as this doesn't take into account cable stretch and differing pad wear etc - this can clearly be seen in the picture.

One they are adjusted equally tighten the top locking bolts and clip the handbrake leather gating back into place.
mikemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

if your light is out, check the tiny switch screwed to the lever, its a plastic piece with metal tab that looks like one of those clips they use over a drilled hole to run a bolt through.(sorry, best explanation) i can take pics if i dont make sense. i put in an armrest and had to move mine, gotta say i love how these cars leave the factory ready for any and all options to just pretty much drop right in!
tg07lq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
This is the wrong way to adjust a handbrake IMO. Shouldn't mess with the cables, once it comes time to put in new shoes and crap, you will run out of travel, and will have to adjust the cables yet again.
+1, this is the lazy man's version.

It doesn't actually do a good job, if you adjust it too much using this method it lessens the contact patch of the parking brake shoe, wearing one side of it un-evenly and alot quicker than adjusting it the right way. It also doesn't hold as strong, althou still enough to keep the car still.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: