Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-09-2003, 06:03 AM   #1
MeAtWork
2nd Gear Member

Audio question

Problem with sub:
The sub keeps bouncing back and forward and making somekind of a chopper noise. If the bass starts you can hear the sub trying to go with the bass but also keeps bouncing against the bass which doesn't sounds good. (and I think isn't good for the sub either)
I have made a drawing of the way the sub is connected and how the amp. settings are set. In the instruction manual of the sub it says that it is 2x4 Ohm but connected this way it is 1x2 Ohm.

ANY IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND HOW TO FIX IT??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schema.jpg (22.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
MeAtWork
2nd Gear Member

Okay, in the drawing I have a switch with stable and variable, stable isn't wright it is fixed or variable.

Just put the switch to stable and it worked fine. If I put it to variable and turn the gain down the problem is gone so I think it is a problem with the sub or the amp not handling the power. Any idea what the problem could be? maybe not stable enough in 2 Ohms?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
MeAtWork
2nd Gear Member

On a caraudio forum someone told me that older amps can handle only 2v from the preout of the headunit.
The amp is if I remember correctly from '94 and my headunit from 2 years ago so this gives 4v from the preout. Anyone knows if this has anything to do with the problem??
Old 04-11-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
cohiba
1st Gear Newbie

That Alpine 3544 wasn't made to run 2ohms in bridged mono mode. The amps output is clipping therefore distorting the output to the woofer. Eventually you can blow the woofer.

If the woofer is moving and no sound is being played from it, this means the amp doesn't have a high enough damping factor.

It doesn't have the ablility to control the woofer's movement accurately. This could be caused by wiring the woofer's voice coils in parallel making the amp see a 2 ohm load.
cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: