Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Thumbs up Installing Hamann Side Skirts

A few pointers please. Purchased polyurethanne Hamann side skirts. They seem to use the same mounting holes as the stock side skirts..... the questions are:

1. Do I remove the existing ones before installing the Hamanns? It would appear that I have to in order for them to fit...... I was told you install them over the existing skirts.

2. When removing the stock skirts, it appears I remove the retainer clips from along the under-sire of the skirt... not an issue. How is the skirt secured @ the top? Does it have a lip the secures (slides) into a channel? If so, do I remove by sliding forward or rear, or just "give it a tug"?

3. The Hamanns have a "lip" running the length of the skirts, located on the inside of the lip a few mm below the top of the skirt. They must secure to some type of channel (possibly the same channel the stock skirts attach to??). When installing, how do I secure the top lip??? Does it slide into a channel or do I "pop" it back into place?

Thanks in advance for the advise/suggestions.....

Gonna look sweet with the Hamann Lip Spolier I've picked-up as well... Spoiler getting prepped, painted and stored this winter.... going on in the spring.... not sure about when the skirts are going on..... maybe this fall; maybe not....
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Ihavenocar
2nd Gear Member

Just wondering how much you paid for the prepping/painting ....
Ihavenocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
nachos23
SweetXi

Haven't done that yet. Was going to test-git first, make sure everything fit correctly before painting. I have a guy that will likely paint all three pieces (spoiler, and 2 skirts) for around $150 - $200...... These guys work for a BMW shop during the day and do "side work" @ night..... Had them repair and repaint a section of my car that had been damaged and the work was excellent. Arrange it through a buddy..... Going to be prepping once test fitted and then sent for painting......
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
A few pointers please. Purchased polyurethanne Hamann side skirts. They seem to use the same mounting holes as the stock side skirts..... the questions are:

1. Do I remove the existing ones before installing the Hamanns? It would appear that I have to in order for them to fit...... I was told you install them over the existing skirts.

2. When removing the stock skirts, it appears I remove the retainer clips from along the under-sire of the skirt... not an issue. How is the skirt secured @ the top? Does it have a lip the secures (slides) into a channel? If so, do I remove by sliding forward or rear, or just "give it a tug"?

3. The Hamanns have a "lip" running the length of the skirts, located on the inside of the lip a few mm below the top of the skirt. They must secure to some type of channel (possibly the same channel the stock skirts attach to??). When installing, how do I secure the top lip??? Does it slide into a channel or do I "pop" it back into place?

Thanks in advance for the advise/suggestions.....

Gonna look sweet with the Hamann Lip Spolier I've picked-up as well... Spoiler getting prepped, painted and stored this winter.... going on in the spring.... not sure about when the skirts are going on..... maybe this fall; maybe not....

I had the same kit on my e46. Looks great on the E46 imo.

1. Yes you have to remove your existing oem skirts in order to mount your Hamann ones. You don't install them over your existing ones.

2. Your oem skirts has retaining clips along the middle of the skirts, and at the bottom like you saw. The Hamann ones basically line up with the same holes, but you need longer clips on the sides. There's no channel. They are just held on by the clips. To take them off, you tug on them outwards motion(away from the car) after removing the bottom clips. Just be careful not to break the actual skirt where the clips are placed.

3. There is no channel. They are just clipped in, and held in place by the clips themselves.

Good luck. It shouldnt be that hard.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
nachos23
SweetXi

Thanks Bliss.

I'm looking forward to prepping and painting them and the lip spoiler too. Going on in the spring. :-) With lowered front, hope I can get over speed bumps and inclined drives.... One question though, the new skirts appear to have a "T" shaped moulded piece running just below the top lp on the inside of the skirt.... Does this just tuck under the door sills I guess?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
Bliss
Administrator

I dont know what suspension you're runnnig or plan on running, but i had H&R coils which were spun pretty low. I hit a few issues here and there, but nothing too serious that made me want to raise it.

About the "T" shaped piece you're talking about...honestly i dont remember seeing that. Nothing on the skirt went as high as the door sill though. Everything stayed below it, so my guess is that its just there to possibly make a more snug fit between the skirt and the body of the car?...not sure though. If you have a pic of it, post it up.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
nachos23
SweetXi

I will but gott acrash now.. Have a proposal presentation in the afternoon and need to get some sleep..... as after as suspension, nothing too aggressive.... H+R sport springs and Bilstein Sport shocks. Dropped about 1.5"..... not worried abotu sides, but I figure I'll have 4"or less in front with lip added. Its the Hamann spoiler lip for the e46...... Nite

Tags
e46, hamann, installation, removal, side skirts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: