Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Replacing the clutch

My clitch just started slipping a few days ago. I've got a 97 328 and a couple of questions.

What clutch kit would you recommend and why. Just for everyday driving, albeit sometimes quite spirited. The car never sees a track. Is there any advantage to going aftermarket over OE?

Is it a DIY garage job? I have a friend who is very knowledgable and builds race cars. He said some cars are easy, some you need shop equipment for. I've seen some pretty brave stuff done in garages in the build threads!

Anything else I should replace or service while the clutch is being changed out?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Sachs is good for a daily driver, cheap too. Repalce the throwout bearing, and rear main seal while you're there, just as preventative. Make sure you use new flywheel bolts. The pressure plate bolts can be reused, as long as they are in good shape. Don't forget locktite for the PP bolts.

Totally doable in the driveway, though for a 1st time job, book a whole weekend. You'll need TALL jack stands ... the 6 tonne ones work well. Worst part is getting all the E-torx bolts (you need a whole set, so grab one from Pricess Auto or something). Also, make sure the clutch kit comes with a clutch alignment tool.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

How did I know you would be the first to respond! Damon will be helping me out on this. I mean, I'll be helping him.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Pelican has a "super clutch kit"

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...EL-SKCKE36-06N

Are all these parts overkill or would it be good insurance to get them all replaced at the same time?

The clutch on its own is US$268
Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Just buy the OEM clutch kit from autopartsway.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts...20Sedan~241142

It's listed at $343 and shipping is free. It's also local so you don't have to worry about duties.

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Pelican has a "super clutch kit"

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...EL-SKCKE36-06N

Are all these parts overkill or would it be good insurance to get them all replaced at the same time?

The clutch on its own is US$268
Those are all the parts that I would replace ... do the rear seal 'cause it WILL leak eventually. You NEED new flywheel bolts since they are one time use. The small plastic knob and clip are cheap, but should be replaced, and it comes with the clutch alignment tool. I would certainly get the whole kit, unless you can piece it together for cheaper.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: