Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING View Post
how about this back in febuary they formed a coloum and let it sit for a week it snowed ice built up ect the then went to go pour it but before doing so they dumped salt into the formed coloum the then poured the concrete. as any normal person would know salt eats steel the bottom foot and a half of the concrete was like hard playdough it just crumbled. the steel had some very extensive rust going on it sit like this for about 3months then it was patched up with i believe its called parge mix. this is reason number 20923450324023 of why not to buy a condo.
the funny thing is, when all these buildings begin falling apart in the next 10 years and need major restoration work thats when im gonna come in

just have to finish 2.5 more years of school

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
the funny thing is, when all these buildings begin falling apart in the next 10 years and need major restoration work thats when im gonna come in

just have to finish 2.5 more years of school
your going to have a shitload of work!!!! lol . seems like when stuff is built its not planned out so great. the parking garage on the esplanade in downtown toronto is being re done in sections because normal steel was used in the slabs if they would of paid for epoxy in the first place they would of saved allot of money.. they still havent learned because they are replacing it with regular steel again.
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Hahaha. The one thing I will never miss about being on site is the smell of concrete and piss! Nothing bothered me more, it's such a specific smell that even still gives me nightmares.

The one thing I am noticing at least with unionized jobs they have become a LOT safer/cleaner than how they were 5-10 years ago.
Vitaliy, where did you do inspections? Are you still doing that? I miss doing inspections for the city and I've been wanting to go back to that!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

My dad is in the industry and is at the new condo sites downtown day in and out.
When my gf and I wanted to buy a condo, he told me to not even bother with pretty much 90% of the new stuff being built in the city, because he sees the cutting corners, shit material, etc applied, all the time. The other 10% was probably not something I could afford.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
sirex
King Sirex

ha nice.. all these people buying condos think they are getting great deals, etc... sucks for them.

but you know, the sad thing is alot of contractors cut corners. Unless the site owner/management and supervisers are people that REALLY CARE and are there to do their job and see it done correctly, nothing ever gets done right. ever.

its sad.

we had the same problem in our structural renovation being done on our home from amuch smaller contractor. And the workers cut corners becuase they are lazy, or because they dont know. If we weren't there supervising them for most of the work, alot of stupid shit would be missing.

And once the job is done, then try calling them to come fix it. they wont. or they wont care. once they get their cash.

so its bullshit every which way you go. everyones looking out for themselves. and its true what they say, if you want a job done properly, you gotta do it your self.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #21
Soldo
6th Gear Member

True, but I've seen many instances where people that DO care about doing things the right way catch shit from the big wigs because doing it the right way costs money.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
i worked there last year so i dont really remember. I know cityplace project at spadina is the worst for this, those buildings are rushed and have lots of deficiencies and take forever to clear... I can ask my coworkers and let u know
I heard about City Place problems,its like a nitemare for quality control and the tenants is a iffy bunch at best, a lot of renters more than actually reported by the condo agreements.A lot of noise complaints I heard from a former renter of this place.The security there is trying its best to control the problematic residence but their is only so much they can do unless the board clamps down.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
europrince
6th Gear Member

Tridel FTW!
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

so maybe it's good to look at those 25 yr+ condos and quality was better back then?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #25
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

Or your score a building that was converted like mine. It used to be the New York Life 25 story building and go figure the insurance company hard enough money to build a tank. I can't hear any neighbors and as rowdy as I get they never beef about noise.

Plus they filled it with German & Italian fixtures, appliances etc..no made in China tings!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #26
David
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
My dad is in the industry and is at the new condo sites downtown day in and out.
When my gf and I wanted to buy a condo, he told me to not even bother with pretty much 90% of the new stuff being built in the city, because he sees the cutting corners, shit material, etc applied, all the time. The other 10% was probably not something I could afford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
ha nice.. all these people buying condos think they are getting great deals, etc... sucks for them.

but you know, the sad thing is alot of contractors cut corners. Unless the site owner/management and supervisers are people that REALLY CARE and are there to do their job and see it done correctly, nothing ever gets done right. ever.

its sad.

we had the same problem in our structural renovation being done on our home from amuch smaller contractor. And the workers cut corners becuase they are lazy, or because they dont know. If we weren't there supervising them for most of the work, alot of stupid shit would be missing.

And once the job is done, then try calling them to come fix it. they wont. or they wont care. once they get their cash.

so its bullshit every which way you go. everyones looking out for themselves. and its true what they say, if you want a job done properly, you gotta do it your self.
You guys think new home builders are any better? They cut just as many corners, charge an arm and a leg, and give you the lowest of the low in standard finishes. The only plus is that you have your own land. But not everyone is born rich and can afford a nice 4000 sq. ft. house on a massive lot in suburbia.

Edit: And here's a funny story. Someone mentioned the workers pissing on the site. That hapenned to my cousin. When they were building her house, the guys were pissing in what was going to be her kitchen, before they laid the tile. She put a sign asking them not to take a leak inside. Next day she came back to find the sign on the ground all pissed on.

Administrator on DetailersClub.com

Last edited by David; 09-15-2009 at 08:46 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #27
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
WHAT! So I shouldn't have bought that $150K downtown condo I heard about on the radio? It's not quality?

But seriously, The only time I see real quality (workmanship and materials) is when it's a private job for people with big bucks who've hired a hardassed general contractor that watches everybody like a hawk and won't think twice about making you rip something down if he doesn't like it.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #28
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You guys think new home builders are any better? They cut just as many corners, charge an arm and a leg, and give you the lowest of the low in standard finishes. The only plus is that you have your own land. But not everyone is born rich and can afford a nice 4000 sq. ft. house on a massive lot in suburbia.

Edit: And here's a funny story. Someone mentioned the workers pissing on the site. That hapenned to my cousin. When they were building her house, the guys were pissing in what was going to be her kitchen, before they laid the tile. She put a sign asking them not to take a leak inside. Next day she came back to find the sign on the ground all pissed on.
best thing to do:

Buy a plot of land

BUILD YOUR OWN HOUSE

Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #29
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
Hahaha. The one thing I will never miss about being on site is the smell of concrete and piss! Nothing bothered me more, it's such a specific smell that even still gives me nightmares.

The one thing I am noticing at least with unionized jobs they have become a LOT safer/cleaner than how they were 5-10 years ago.
Vitaliy, where did you do inspections? Are you still doing that? I miss doing inspections for the city and I've been wanting to go back to that!
I was doing inspections for a private company its called CCI, until they laid me off a year ago..frankly i hate the city and would never want to work for it in a million years. I just hate what it stands for and everyone i met from the city seems like a lazy **** with no motivation because they know they can jerk off all day and have the same job for life.. This is not the kind of attitude I have. I'd work with a city on contract but after that bye bye.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: