Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Question Parts from the US

Has anyone ever brought parts from the US over into Canada?

I specifically wanna know about tires and fluids?

What if they're used and/or you get them installed over there and drive over?

Do you still have to pay duties?

---------------------
330Hi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

I bought stuff for my e38 and new tires for my truck. Didn't have any issues since I was well within my limits for personal exemption.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
330Hi
4th Gear Member

^Yea but did you end up paying anything on them?

What did they ask? And what documentation did you show?

---------------------
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

With a strong Canadian dollar against the US dollar, Canada customs does not give a rats ass like they used to. But if you declare that you bought tires or whatever and you go over your spending limit, they have no choice but to charge duty. And chances are you'll just piss them for the extra work.

Buy booze, clothes or something inexpensive and declare just that.

New or used tires dont matter. By the time you get back to the border, the tires are used. Buy and have it installed over there and drive back. They dont check what rims/tires you're rocking.
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Hi View Post
^Yea but did you end up paying anything on them?

What did they ask? And what documentation did you show?
I was at the exemption limit so no. When I give them my passport I also include all the receipts and the guy looks @ them then ask if i had cigs or booze. When I said no, he let me pass. I think they're more into collecting taxes for the cigs and booze. I've been way over on day trips like $300 and once I say clothes and shoes i get wavied on.

'04 645cic
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahctuning View Post
New or used tires dont matter. By the time you get back to the border, the tires are used. Buy and have it installed over there and drive back. They dont check what rims/tires you're rocking.
A friend of mine said he did some research and told me otherwise. Apparently they check for that !?

---------------------
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

That's what my research on this forum indicated. Apparently, they will look closely at your tires (incldg. close-up camera shots of entering/exiting, but this may have been speculation only). The Tirerack web site sometimes will offer huge discounts on close-outs ... that's what I would wait for (at their regular prices, it's hard to justify because of the extra install/shipping costs). Plus, Tirerack seems to have a UPS contract whereby you pay all taxes/duties/brokerage up front (and the brokerage appears to be at a much lower rate)
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
330Hi
4th Gear Member

So my question is - If you were to install tires (for example) and drive back with no old tires - they'd ask if they saw they were brand new? What if you were to install brand new tires and go over to the US and come back? Are you supposed to carry your receipt with you everywhere? Then how about that shirt that I'm wearing - which I just bought from Niagara Falls and went to the US and drove back the same day?

---------------------
Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

From my research, they can technically detain your car if they suspect that you've bought some new tires from the US until you provide them with documentation to prove otherwise. I think whether they detain you has to do with the customs officer's discretion and your responses to their questioning. As for shirts, I don't think they're concerned ... they're looking for a big haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Hi View Post
So my question is - If you were to install tires (for example) and drive back with no old tires - they'd ask if they saw they were brand new? What if you were to install brand new tires and go over to the US and come back? Are you supposed to carry your receipt with you everywhere? Then how about that shirt that I'm wearing - which I just bought from Niagara Falls and went to the US and drove back the same day?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

That's why I always declare. It's better not to be flagged for any future trips. Not worth the risk for minimal txs paid if any.

'04 645cic
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
XtasyX
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, they check tires. I recently bought tires from tirerack, mounted them there and then drove back. Ditched the old ones. I also bought some clothes to make it less suspicious.
XtasyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Curious about the details of what happened. What did they do to check for new tires? Did they catch you? Or, were you planning to declare up front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtasyX View Post
Yeah, they check tires. I recently bought tires from tirerack, mounted them there and then drove back. Ditched the old ones. I also bought some clothes to make it less suspicious.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

They do look at tires but as long as you're not dumb enough to keep ANY evidence of buying them (incl pickup slip), they can't do anything. They may even pull you over and sweat you - for real. It happened to a friend of mine, and she actually DID buy them in Canada a few days earlier. They even went on TireRack and started calculating the tax for her to pay. She just sat there saying you can kiss my ass, I bought the tires in Canada, and no I don't have proof. They let her go after a few hours.

But you gotta get really unlucky with them. I've smuggled thousands worth and never had any trouble. Just don't have an unbelievable story. I say I've been shopping since the morning, bought 150 bucks worth of stuff, some groceries and a couple of small things, no booze/cigs. They usually don't even take my passport over that. Technically your exemption limit for <24hrs is ZERO, so they should tax me but they never ever bother (I'm talking at least 20-30 times I've done this now). I think it's just more hassle/labor cost than it's worth to tax that much. Just don't tell them you bought nothing. If you say you bought a grand worth then yeah they'll make you pay tax.

Send your stuff here:
http://www.usaddressinc.com/

Great service, it's like the first or second exit after the Lewiston bridge (closest). 5 bucks per package, no BS. Just email them with your name/addy/phone and you're set.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
XtasyX
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
Curious about the details of what happened. What did they do to check for new tires? Did they catch you? Or, were you planning to declare up front?
I wasn't caught. I actually brought a couple of stuff over and luckily was never searched. All you have to do is declare about $100 of stuff and spend a couple of hours as if you were shopping and you'll most likely won't be searched.

I had a friend who went to pick up a set of rims + tires, mounted on car, drove back after a couple of hours, didn't declare anything and they searched his car. They were questioning them over and over and especially about the rims and tires because they were new and was caught.
XtasyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
BigD
the misanthropist

Another thing though, know what you're getting into. If you get caught, you're proper ****ed. Not only will they take all your shit, fine you up to 60% of the value of the stuff you're smuggling (in addition to the tax/duty), but they're even allowed to take your car. It doesn't even end there. From then on, if you cross the border even as a passenger, the car and everyone's pockets will be turned inside out every single time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: