Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name

Welcome to!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
2nd Gear Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 59
U.S. imported vehicles passing provincial inspection in Ontario?

Hey guys, I recently sold my e30 to a guy from Toronto. I paid the gst at the border in Alberta to have the car imported. The new owner drove the car back to Ontario with temp tags and is going to have the provincial inspection done.

How hard is it to pass a provincial inspection in Ontario. At the Kal Tire we stopped at in Calgary they were saying that the car would fail for any stupid reason like the tires being worn. My car had a lightly cracked high beam and a badly cracked fog light. The trim is also a little damaged in some places.

Where is the place of choice to go in order to get a 20 year old car passed?

BTW: Does anyone know if a U.S. spec e30 will pass emissions in Ontario?

Thank You
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
6th Gear Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,552
Read this.

I think the inspection has to be done at CanadianTire ( They are qualified to do the import inspection. The Safety and Emission Test can be done elsewhere.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
5th Gear Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 963
The car is over 15yrs old so it will have to just pass e-test and the regular safety.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
2nd Gear Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 59
No, the Canadian Tire thing is outdated information. At the border crossing you pay the GST and get the import form which is Part 1 of your Federal Inspection. Part 2 is contacting and paying them 7% of the purchase price, but if your vehicle is over 15 years old then you do not have to do the Part 2.
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018