Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: 135i, 335i, or M3?
2009 135i - $60,000 12 19.05%
2009 335i - $65,000 20 31.75%
2003 M3 - $30,000 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #46
xlash
Still learning....

Don't get the M unless you are absolutely 100% positive you want one. People who buy this car either have sooo much money they don't know what to do with it or they are those who dream about this car everyday and cannot justify not getting one regardless of whether they plan on tracking it or not. I doubt you fall into this category because you're not only debating implicitly but you've brought it into a forum to discuss it with other people. Of course this car will be expensive to maintain it's an M. Years from now it'll still twist necks and drop jaws. But is that what you really want? Does it justify the extra expense? Not surprised though that a BMW forum picked this one by a wide margin.

If you want a fugly over priced car that delivers on performance then the 1 series is for you. But damn it's heavy. I am surprised it got that many votes though.

That leaves the E92 coupe. Swap out the wheels with a better looking set and you've got a great package. Sure it's the most expensive but it's in your crosshairs so I doubt you mind paying up for it. Hope it's the 6 speed though.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #47
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
OP has stated that he will spent to $65 K, and given the 3 options...so 335 is no brainer...

honestly with the horse power and unless you go to the track every weekend do you want to chance it on open road with the stunt driving law the way it is, therefore horse power is relative... .
He said he is willing to spend up to 65. He didn't say: What's the best car I can get for 65K. There is a difference. Just because you are willing to spend up to 65K, doesn't necessarily make it the right choice.

For example: If you have other expenses, like saving up for a condo, then it would make more sense to spend the 30K on the car, and put the rest in a down payment on a condo or some shit. I'm just using this as an example, sometimes it's not always the best choice to put all your eggs in one basket. Especially when that basket is going to devalue itself 10 grand once it drives off the lot. I'm not saying this guy is in this situation, but I'm just saying it's one of many possiblities. Maybe he has a shit load of money and doesn't know what to spend it on. In that case, maybe spending 65 grand on a car is the choice he wants to make. However, maybe it would be better to spend that extra 30 grand elsewhere than on a car.

Like I said before, it really depends on the situation. How much disposable income do you have? That will answer your question.

Without a doubt the 335 is the better car, but is it the better choice? M3 is a very good car for the price of a base model camry.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #48
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
I'd probably just go for an older 335i, and still have 30k+ left over!
This actually might be the best choice of all. Spend a little more and get certified series.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #49
2K6E60
5th Gear Member

Guys, a stock 335 will hold its own against a stock E46 M.

a 700 dollar tune from Mike @ N54 Tuning here in Toronto will get you another 30-50 Horses. Than Down pipes / Exhaust / Headers and Intercoolers. Your good for another 30-50 WHP. Thats 400ish right there, then Meth injection later on with turbo upgrades and your laughing at most things on the road.

hell even E9X M3's have a hard time with the 335's tuned..... This is really a no brainer... but then again i am biased towards the E92 body styling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ass.jpg (190.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #50
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
BTW, going back to europrince, would auctioned car still go under warranty despite 1 more year left over on it. What the BMW will say about that? Will they honor the warranty? If not the certified series could be a nice bet.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #51
///McLovin
Oh hai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6E60 View Post

a 700 dollar tune from Mike @ N54 Tuning here in Toronto will get you another 30-50 Horses. Than Down pipes / Exhaust / Headers and Intercoolers. Your good for another 30-50 WHP. Thats 400ish right there, then Meth injection later on with turbo upgrades and your laughing at most things on the road.

hell even E9X M3's have a hard time with the 335's tuned..... This is really a no brainer... but then again i am biased towards the E92 body styling
Ok...now we're talking silly talk. And clearly you argument was a no brainer. Are you saying none of these mods can be done to an '03 M3?

What we're comparing here is two cars that are equally fast in stock form but whose price difference is $35,000. (The OP can go and buy two '03 M3's and have cash left over!) When you start mentioning mods, well then sir, you have to assume you can apply them to both cars. You can pile on a crazy mountain of mods to the M3 to make it bat shit insane fast and the 335i will be left crying in stock form wheezing from the dust it's inhaling in the M3's wake. The M3 owner will still have $1,000's left over for gas, maintenance, and repairs.

You're argument is teh suxors.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #52
dbworld4k
Addict

His argument makes perfect sense. Show me sub 5k mods on an E46M3 that will net you the gobs of power you will gain on a N54 powered car.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #53
///McLovin
Oh hai

You're ignoring the fact you're $35k ahead with the M3. Put that money into mods so both cars are the same price and it's lights out anything $65k new.

Funny guys...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #54
dbworld4k
Addict

Brain fart. I didn't realize you were talking about a NEW 335. I was basing my point off buying a used one. Then yes, you are obviously right.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #55
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
BTW, going back to europrince, would auctioned car still go under warranty despite 1 more year left over on it. What the BMW will say about that? Will they honor the warranty? If not the certified series could be a nice bet.
Standard warranty is transferable. I don't know if you have to reregister with BMW. I doubt they would offer the extended warranty beyond CPO. Buying through a dealer connection will save you maybe 6k or so over CPO, so would one care about the extended warranty at that point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
This actually might be the best choice of all. Spend a little more and get certified series.
Thank you! Off lease 335 is the smartest choice!

Last edited by europrince; 09-02-2009 at 09:37 PM.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #56
2K6E60
5th Gear Member

If i had a choice to buy an 07 335 or an 06 E46 M3 I would still buy the 335. They go for about the same price, and this is more justifiable over a new 335.

My point is not teh suxorz, because if you buy both of them used, you cannot tell me the M will be as good tuned with the same kind of Money (IE sub 5k as Anuk stated)

Even in Stock form the 335 will be just as quick. Plus newer body style and have some warranty left.

Now lets flip it like this, Immagine buying a used 335 for 40K and put just 6K in Mods into the car. It will be killer and the OP will have some $$ left over.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #57
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6E60 View Post

That is a sexxy rear end.. I like the car on hydros in the background too!
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #58
rendered
6th Gear Member

E9X or E46 M3 cabrio.... It was certainly a tough choice for me, so I bought both!

Problem solved.

But seriously, why are you comparing apples and oranges?! Each car has its own purpose in its own respect. And not to mention you're comparing brand new car vs. used car. Why would anyone buy new these days? If thats the case, why not buy a new E92/E93 M3?

One is a coupe, other one is a cabriolet. One is 100% track ready, other one needs an LSD, and some suspension/brake mods.

Is this going to be your only car? how often are you going to drive it (i.e. Weekend car only or Daily driver)? Is this your first BMW?

Keep in mind, an E46 Waterpump alone is $600-800+ just for the part! Are you financially comfortable to make this car your daily driver considering BMW puts a premium on every M replacement part?!

Also keep in mind, you buy a 3.0L Biturbo car, you're obviously going JB3+ chip or similar ECU tune. And ofcourse as soon as you start boosting more and more, thats reduced turbo life drastically, and eventually you'll have to do costly turbo replacement maintenance on your daily driver. Are you able to justify the cost of replacing turbo's on your daily driver?

Last edited by rendered; 09-04-2009 at 03:05 PM.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #59
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Ultimately, Owning an M car is not for everyone. Owning an even older M car, is for even fewer.
Personally I would take my e34 M5 over a 335i, e46's and M, much newer non M e39(the choice I already made) and many other new(er) BMW's any day. The 135i will be a tougher one to say no, there's something about that car that makes me a little giddy. On the other side, there are those who want the newest they can afford, even if it is your run of the mill car. It's all subjective. It is a decision he needs to make himself. Does he want an "M", or does he want something else. What is he looking for in a car? What does he expect this car to do for him?
Maybe he wants a car to pick up chicks, for that, prolly newer is better..

As I mentioned, if I had to pick between the 3: M3, 135, 335.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 09-04-2009 at 03:52 PM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #60
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
What about if you have enough to buy 330 ci but you want 335. Is it better idea to save up 10k more and get 335 in the Spring or buy non M E46 now? What is a better option. I think E46 is not worth it , and the Winter is just around the corner. Let alone the hassle of selling the car when I need to pick up 335 in the Spring? Thank You
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: