Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Maxxb12
1st Gear Newbie

Post Buying a e46 328ci

Hi there I live in the UK (well the Isle of Man to be exact) and I'm considering buying a 2000 e46 328ci it has full BMW service history, the car has covered 115,000miles well what I am wondering is with this kind of mileage (which is mostly motorway mileage) so it's a kinder on the car than stop start mileage, is it worth me buying the car? I took it for a run yesterday and all seems solid enough all electrics are working it seems very planted on the road. if I buy the car, what could I expect with a bit more mileage (I'm thinking as long as I keep the service history up to date then it should be OK ? ) any info most welcome.

Maxx.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
pawcio
6th Gear Member

whether or not its worth it also depends on the price. what are they asking for it? i've had my '01 e46 (~55,000 miles) for about 6 months so i can't really comment on the reliability of higher mileage cars but i've had no problems so far. maybe someone else can give you their opinion, but as with any used car you can buy something that will be great and require little unscheduled maintenance or something that can bust the bank. a good inspection won't hurt but it can come down to luck. so good luck with the potential buy. hope it all works out for you. cheers.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Maxxb12
1st Gear Newbie

Thanx for ur feedback the price of the car is 3,650...... it's jet black with black leather a/c, e/windows,e/mirrors,e/sunroof 6stack cd changer 17inch wheels, boot spoiler I got my mate coming up with me today (he's a mechanic at a alfa romeo and fiat dealership they also deal with BMW's) so he's going to give the once over....
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
pawcio
6th Gear Member

ok. so thats about $6,500 CAD. so depending on the condition of the car, it seems like if it were in canada it would be a very good buy. this canadian website that estimates car values estimated the price range from $8,700 CAD for wholesale to $10,700 for retail. that would be £4,900 to £5,900. but i guess it depends on the car market on the isle of man.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Sneaky
One of the Zealots

Stay away from the auto as they are prone to tranny failure
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Maxxb12
1st Gear Newbie

Well condition wise it's very good no dent's, no scratches or scrapes, no rust either there is another question I have how long do the timing chains last..?? before u need to replace them..?? the reason the person is selling a little bit cheaper than the norm is that she just bought a horse transporter so just wants to sell to get a little bit of cash back if I was picky then there's a little bit of wear on the drivers seat on the bolster and the 5 tiny stone chips on the nose of the car I wish I had taken some pics....
Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
manual or auto?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
pawcio
6th Gear Member

^^ never mind... hahaha...i thought you meant something else.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Maxxb12
1st Gear Newbie

......... it's a manual by the way mind u after reading one of the threads on here about sub frames I think the high mileage is the least of my problems I hope to god the sub frames ok on this UK model..??
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
pawcio
6th Gear Member

even though there are sub frame problems. it wasn't on every single car. its definitely something to think about but again...not all cars developed this problem.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
I have an 04 330Xi with 190,000 Km (120,000 miles) and it runs like new!! Structurally very sound, just checked the subframe bushings recently and everything is exactly as it left the factory. No stress or other related wear, no cracking or any of the issues I've heard discussed on this forum. Desn;t burn ANY oil..... I change oil every 8,000 miles (approx) and the engine is rarely even a 1/2 L low. Usually, the stick is right wear it was when I last had it changed. I beat the hell out of the car on a regular basis too..... I would have no issues buyng an e46 with the milage you're talking about. The Isle of Man; lucky bastard. I'd love to drive the Isle of Man. some amazing roads up there. go for it. Price is excellent too. Any concerns, ask to take the car to an independent mechanic (yours) to verify the condition. They should allow that....
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Katmanz
Mwah!

Thought you guys only rode bikes down there : )

2001 330ci - Winter beater - RIP
2001 330i -
2006 325i -
Katmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
E46bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post

They are? Does that include tiptronic?
E46bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
wow good price. Maybe that is just the UK, but other EU members have priced E46 cars much higher. Maybe because 2.8l is ready big engine for EU gas prices so that's why. I am sure because 323ci seem to be expensive there comparing to US/CAN markets.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: