Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Since no one seems to know this... If you have a newer TV with a Digital ATSC tuner built ing, if you connect it to your cable and you already have a digital box somewhere else connected... IF you buy a movie you will be able to watch the digital channel on your other TV(s) if you buy the movie. You'll need to scan for the channels though.

This works because the digital box requests a decoded stream on a certain channel which the TV then can pick up.
You speak in theory? or have you actually tried this first hand?

I do have a second TV with an ATSC tunner connect directly without the digital box.

I don't get any of the special channels the box gets (on my other TV with the box). I assume you mean PPV movies, which i haven't tried yet. Just the $150 worth of packages that are ****ing worthless.

If you know how to get a TV with an ATSC tunner to view rogers digital channels then i'm all ears, that would be better as ill be able to watch them without buying another rogers box.

From my technical knowledge, the ATSC tunner you speak of is for HD channels broadcasted over the air, not for anything from rogers.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 08-20-2009 at 02:05 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
You speak in theory? or have you actually tried this first hand?

I do have a second TV with an ATSC tunner connect directly without the digital box.

I don't get any of the special channels the box gets (on my other TV with the box). I assume you mean PPV movies, which i haven't tried yet. Just the $150 worth of packages that are ****ing worthless.

If you know how to get a TV with an ATSC tunner to view rogers digital channels then i'm all ears, that would be better as ill be able to watch them without buying another rogers box.

From my technical knowledge, the ATSC tunner you speak of is for HD channels broadcasted over the air, not for anything from rogers.
It's not theory... But you have to buy a movie to make the TV without the box work.

If you live in an apartment building you can usually get some movies for free, but you're at the mercy of who ever bought the movie as to what you're able to watch.

You cannot watch digital channels without a box as they're all encrypted. When you buy a movie AFAIK they move gets broadcast in a sub-channel without encryption. Which is why then a normal ATSC tuner will be able to tune in for that program.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
It's not theory... But you have to buy a movie to make the TV without the box work.

If you live in an apartment building you can usually get some movies for free, but you're at the mercy of who ever bought the movie as to what you're able to watch.

You cannot watch digital channels without a box as they're all encrypted. When you buy a movie AFAIK they move gets broadcast in a sub-channel without encryption. Which is why then a normal ATSC tuner will be able to tune in for that program.
Oh okay, i see that is only for PPV movies. Very limited use, but i guess it's possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: