Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
damameke
6th Gear Member

Most body shop will tell you after an inspection of the damage area wil let you know if its going to be written off.

Where is your car now?.

You might think it is just the bumper but there might be more damage.

No point second guessing or worrying now.. if you are going to keep the car for a long while why worry if it is a savaged title. !!!

You can always buy back your car, all you need to do is let your insurance co. know your intention..and they dont go by black book value.. its average selling price.. as in how much would your car sell for if it is not damage.
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
they probably just sold it at an auction and the new owner is getting it fixed
i saw that my car was at a shop the day after they took the car away. i mean it is possible, but i doubt that soon

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Most body shop will tell you after an inspection of the damage area wil let you know if its going to be written off.

Where is your car now?.

You might think it is just the bumper but there might be more damage.

No point second guessing or worrying now.. if you are going to keep the car for a long while why worry if it is a savaged title. !!!

You can always buy back your car, all you need to do is let your insurance co. know your intention..and they dont go by black book value.. its average selling price.. as in how much would your car sell for if it is not damage.

ye like if it can last me the year thn it can b my winter beater gettin a new car next yr so i guess if u look at it tht way it shouldnt matter. its the first good thing tht occured 2 me thanks u

ima see now lets see wht they offer n how much am i lookin at 2 fix. the reason i was talkin abt the salvage title is caz if ii do buy it can i start drivin it around or do i need 2 go through safety n emissions again? but still thanks man
Shafhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

hey ppl ok so i have an update

the insurance company called and said they payin me 3000 for the car n they will buy it. and that is with the rims and all.

but if i buy the car back, they will give me 2400 and the car. the car has no frame damage just the rear bumper n all like all cosmetic and all i gotta provide is a work order and a safety report plus pictures of before and after. so wht should i do.

i know i can get it fixed caz she the adjustor told me all i need are pictures n safety i can get done 2 4 a max of 1000 so wht should i do ?????????
Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
So you get $2400 and the car?? Take the car and $2400 vs. $3000 and no car... Or did you mean something else?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
take the 2400 and the car for sure.......it shouldnt cost 2400 to repaint you buumper and have it patched, and it shouldnt cost 2400 to buy a new bumper and have it painted, the rest is yours

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #22
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
So you get $2400 and the car?? Take the car and $2400 vs. $3000 and no car... Or did you mean something else?

thanks man tht is exactly wht i meant. they gave me 2 offers

1. take 3000 n they get the car

2. they give me 2400 and the car i fix it, get safety done again send pictures of before and after and then they will reinsure it again because the car is not being branded it will have a clean title so i guess its a better deal
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #23
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
take the 2400 and the car for sure.......it shouldnt cost 2400 to repaint you buumper and have it patched, and it shouldnt cost 2400 to buy a new bumper and have it painted, the rest is yours

that is wht i thought too caz i can get a used bumper for $100 flat the full thing. so i guess it will b a max of 200 after everythin i guess still thanks dude
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
damameke
6th Gear Member

of course

take option 2
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #25
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
However, you're assuming it's just the bumper. I'm willing to bet there's a lot more damage behind that bumper. The bumper shocks, spare tire well, exhaust/exhaust hanging points, etc.

Still, getting 2400 plus the car is a steal, especially since you won't really have to paint anything.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
why are you concerned about a salvage title? Are you planning to resell the car?

Its a lifestyle.www.coolkidsclub.ca

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/EuroDriftStar
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/641215cruz
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #27
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Just to shed a little light on the situation:

There was a lawsuit filed against an insurance company a few years ago. A car they insured was in an accident. A shop repaired the car with aftermarket parts - including an aftermarket air bag. The car owner was pleased with the repairs. Claim was closed.

Shortly after, the same person & car were involved in a much more serious accident. The air bags deployed again. This time there was some injury to the driver of the car. The driver sued the insurance company and the repair shop claiming that some of the injuries he sustained were cause by the airbag and that if an OEM airbag was used it may have deployed differently and not caused the same injury. The lawsuit was successful and a precedent was set.

Now, for the most part, insurance companies will not authorize repairs with anything but OEM parts. They will happily give you a cheque and let you bear the responsibility of deciding what quality of parts to repair with. This way they are absolved of any further liability.

There are A LOT more write-offs because of this.

So Shafhan, If you went to a BMW dealership and asked for all brand new OEM parts you may very well be over the $3000 that your car is worth. (especially if you call from an insurance company with 'deep pockets')

What is done with salvage?...
The insurance company will either sell the written off car to a recycler/scrap yard or auctioned off. The idea is to recoup some of the $$ paid out to the owner. This helps keep premiums down. Storage of a car costs $$ so the salvage cars are up for auction ASAP. (as experienced by craigIS).

One other point worth touching on,
Quote:
craigIS: "repairs and things like that dont matter to an insurance company. they go by book value i believe."
It is reasonable to expect that a vehicle owner will keep their car in a decent state of repair and perform the necessary maintenance. Brakes, clutches, and other general wear items are generally not considered when settling a claim. Things that may have a mild effect on the value would be a recently rebuilt or new engine/tranny, but it isn't going to mean you recoup the cost of that new engine, maybe just a few hundred $.

Most claims are settled using fair market value. The adjusters I speak with use auto-trader and other classified pages to ascertain a reasonable value. Book value does not give as much consideration to mileage and condition.

Generally, when you are dealing with a claim, keep your insurance broker in the loop. Don't assume they always knows what goes on. When a claim is reported to our office, we send the report to the company and that is the last we hear of it unless the customer calls to discuss or complain. Let your broker know what you were offered for a settlement. They have experience with the adjusters & resources to help you decide if it is a fair offer.

Finally, a mild diatribe:

We drive BMW's because of the quality of the product and the driving experience that gives us. If you just wanted a car to get from A-B you'd be in a KIA or gawd forbid - a Daewoo. If you want quality and a good experience with your insurance coverage, especially with respect to claims, it is in your best interest to obtain coverage through a broker. When you use a direct writer or Bank based insurance company, there is no one there to be your advocate or hold them accountable.

Good luck Shafhan! It sounds like you have a reasonable adjuster who is willing to work with you. I hope things work out well for your situation.
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
However, you're assuming it's just the bumper. I'm willing to bet there's a lot more damage behind that bumper. The bumper shocks, spare tire well, exhaust/exhaust hanging points, etc.

Still, getting 2400 plus the car is a steal, especially since you won't really have to paint anything.

im keepin a max of a 1000 for damages if anythin more thn ill sell it as is even if it sells 4 a 500 im still makin more thn wht i was offered plus i know it will go for much more well thtz wht im hopin 4
Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #29
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris de la Cruz View Post
why are you concerned about a salvage title? Are you planning to resell the car?

i sopke to the insurance ppl n they said the car will get no title so and i was plannin on sellin the car soon but now i dont care lol
Old 08-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

hey hockeyfan thanks man i really really appriciate the help and all the info provided but fortunately my car received rear damages. what happened was the insurance adjustor said that there are no frame damages and the only damages sustained were cosmetic. she said take pictures of the damages and all. so i am using a BMW bumper, its used and i will repaint it. the interior and all plus the engine is good too. the pipe tht leaked, i knew from before so i had a new pipe in the back seat that i got earlier on. so in short, the only damages they said were at the back. so i wana repair it and then sell it off. but thtz wht i am thinkin of lets see

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: