Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post
M-Sport can also come with those things.
Not in alcantara, that is ZHP-exclusive. M-sports only come with the leather m-wheel, and shift/handbrake boots(as stated in the one of the previous posts)
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
alexm520
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
Thanks Alex, very informative post. I wonder if the price difference between a 330i and a 330i m-performace is justified. I mean it's almost in the same echelon as similar year M3's.
2 more points:

For Year 2002 and 2003, M-sport package came on 5-speed manual (there was no 6-speed)

Starting from 2004 (maybe late 2003), all 330s (regular or M-performance edition came with 6 speed. But even these 6-speed came with 2:93 final diff ratio on normal 330s and 3:07 final diff ratio on "M-Performance Edition".

How much price difference are we talking about ?

If you like to mod your cars, you have an option to get a normal 330 (5 or 6 speed) and then look/buy a used 3:15 differential from a 325 model, swap with the 330s one and you will have the same performance as "M-Performance Edition" model.

On the other hand, if you like your cars with all stuff from the factory, and not too much modding, then go for "M-Performance Edition" model.

Alex
Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
rendered
6th Gear Member

BMW Toronto screwed up once by replacing my 3:07:1 diff with a 2:93:1 and I noticed it right away the moment I started driving the car. What a huge difference in acceleration! ; and stupid mistake that BMW Toronto Stealership commited. Needless to say I got a brand new 3:07 diff installed, and was happy again. I never let the ZHP step foot in BMW toronto ever again after that! It was pretty embarassing for them! I made them pay for it when servicing my 650i !! lol

The best way to know is look at the exhaust tips. ZHP exhaust tips are thinner stainless steel ones. Whereas M-sport are thicker polished Aluminum ones!
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
2005BMW325xi
2005 BMW 325xi

Bro check your message..

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
we dont have the red needles in canada, nor can you tell by the guage face that it has an increased redline
2005BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
2005BMW325xi
2005 BMW 325xi

How is the 6spd shifting on a ZHP? I mean I know can never be hands free like Automatic but I am curious to know any owners of ZHP here? What you u guys prefer? 6spd or Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm520 View Post
2 more points:

For Year 2002 and 2003, M-sport package came on 5-speed manual (there was no 6-speed)

Starting from 2004 (maybe late 2003), all 330s (regular or M-performance edition came with 6 speed. But even these 6-speed came with 2:93 final diff ratio on normal 330s and 3:07 final diff ratio on "M-Performance Edition".

How much price difference are we talking about ?

If you like to mod your cars, you have an option to get a normal 330 (5 or 6 speed) and then look/buy a used 3:15 differential from a 325 model, swap with the 330s one and you will have the same performance as "M-Performance Edition" model.

On the other hand, if you like your cars with all stuff from the factory, and not too much modding, then go for "M-Performance Edition" model.

Alex
2005BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #21
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

This is an old thread now but I will give you guys some updates:
- rendered is correct about looking at the exhaust tips. The ZHPs have a thin walled, large diameter exhaust, with no "flap" in the exhaust. Regular 330s and M-Sports have the thicker walled "tips" put onto the exhaust system and have a flap inside to keep them quieter at low RPMS.
- My 2005 330Ci M Performance does have a factory equipped perforated leather steering wheel. This changed was implemented March 2005 at the factory because BMW had to replace so many of the alcantara steering wheels.
- The ZHPs have a 6800 (or possibly slightly higher!) RPM limiter even though they share the same 6500 RPM redline on the gauges. If you hit a limiter at 6500, you don't have a ZHP!
- M Sport pkgs also got the short shifter. The only differences between M Sport and M Performance are the camshaft, ECU, 6800 RPM limiter, and exhaust. Early M Sports had 17" wheels, later M Sports got the 18"s from the M Perf's.

One very important thing to consider when shopping for a ZHP is our infamous ZHP Rattle. Because ZHP's have a different cam it seems unique to those cars, but ZHPs will have a rattle coming from the VANOS unit at ~2000 RPM. This is only when the motor is very warm and at operating temperature. It doesn't change my mind about loving my ZHP, but it can get irritating. Buy informed.

Last edited by mstearnsy; 07-29-2009 at 06:02 PM.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #22
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

My girlfriend just traded her Nissan 350Z for an '04 ZHP sedan. Taking delivery next week. All the stats mentioned above are accurate since i've been researching it-to-death the past week. Another source of info is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: