Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
sski
2nd Gear Member

New or Used??

Wife's drivin' an X3. Someday my current ride (2000 Altima) will die. I'll need a cheap highway beater for couple years until other investments get sorted out (real estate rich, cash poor). The original plan was a CPO 325/328 but that just does not make sense until we get at least one mortage paid off. Once that happens, my kids get whatever I buy and I get my next Bimmer.

I'm figuring in the $10,000 neighbourhood...do I get a brand new Kia Rio or do I look at a 3 or 4 yr old Civic/Corolla or go even older and look at Accords/Camry's...or is there another way to cheaply do 180 hwy kms/per day. Don't say GO Transit..."he who rides, rides alone...ha ha" and I don't think I can buy a GM/Ford/Chrysler in good conscience.

What's the collective wisdom?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

bone stock accent, you get the warranty and all that.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
xlash
Still learning....

180km/day!!! Go with whatever is the most fuel efficient and cheap. I am going to have to say a CRX but that's too old. So a base model civic. If you do your homework and get a good one you won't need warranty. Besides maintenance is cheap and DIY is easy.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
I don't know what condition your Altima is in, why are you saying it's gonna die soon if it's a 2000 ? It's not like it's 30 years old burning oil and falling apart? No matter how your slice it the best financial choice to just drive that. It's near the bottom of the depreciation curve, and shouldn't cost too much upkeep. If you buy a newer car you'll be eating depreciation on it..

But anyways, I would suggest a Civic. Biased maybe but regardless of the car, the first few years depreciate the most, I wouldn't buy a new car unless it was a sports car and I was worried it would be beat on or something, or I just had a ****load of money and didn't care. . A 3-4 year old Civic is still SUPER reliable, just as it rolled off the factory pretty much...

Once you realize that, it's a pretty easy decision compared to a new Kia or something, because:

1) The Civic will depreicate less
2) It will be more reliable or just as reliable than a Kia
3) It's a much nicer car than a Kia..

I dunno it's a pretty simple decision for me anyways.

PS. If the car is 3-4 years old it most like is still on warranty.

PSS. 4 year old Civic > new Accent ANY DAY.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
sski
2nd Gear Member

The Altima has 385,000 kms and it still runs OK. Maybe just keeping it on the road is best. If I have to replace it, used Civic may be the way to go, but the dealer will have to come awfully close to what I could get a new rio/accent for. I find sometimes a used civic almost costs the same as brand new...in fact some times I see used civic prices and say..."Didn't that car cost that much new?!?!?"

If I can keep the Altima on the road a few more years, there's a 3 series in my future...:-)
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
I don't know what condition your Altima is in, why are you saying it's gonna die soon if it's a 2000 ? It's not like it's 30 years old burning oil and falling apart? No matter how your slice it the best financial choice to just drive that. It's near the bottom of the depreciation curve, and shouldn't cost too much upkeep. If you buy a newer car you'll be eating depreciation on it..

But anyways, I would suggest a Civic. Biased maybe but regardless of the car, the first few years depreciate the most, I wouldn't buy a new car unless it was a sports car and I was worried it would be beat on or something, or I just had a ****load of money and didn't care. . A 3-4 year old Civic is still SUPER reliable, just as it rolled off the factory pretty much...

Once you realize that, it's a pretty easy decision compared to a new Kia or something, because:

1) The Civic will depreicate less
2) It will be more reliable or just as reliable than a Kia
3) It's a much nicer car than a Kia..

I dunno it's a pretty simple decision for me anyways.

PS. If the car is 3-4 years old it most like is still on warranty.

PSS. 4 year old Civic > new Accent ANY DAY.

I can agree with you some what, but i think your opinion is a little bit biased.

look at it this way,

your right on all your above points. but a 3-4 year old honda civic are around 13,000-15,000.
brand new hyundai accent start at 9,999, now im not going to say that hyundai is more reliable but its close to being the same in reliability.

you get the warranty and a car that is fresh from the factory.

most of the 3-4 year old civics for 13,000 there warranty is up in a year or 2 of driving.

civic is a very good car and well worth the money, but if i were you id get the hyundai.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
sski
2nd Gear Member

Ironically, the Altima died on the hwy the other day. Had it towed...needed an alternator. The alternator in it only had 220,000 kms on it...geez, stuff just doesn't last...lol. Motor, tranny, rear end are all solid still...in fact, the damn thing still has the original exhaust (386,000kms). I think I'm just going to keep this f*cker on the road until the motor literally drops out of it.

This has become a quest now to see how long this car will last without any major work (Engine/Tranny/readend). Everytime I take it for an oil change the guys at the garage just shake their heads and say..."damn, those japanese really can build a car..."

Having said that, you'd think I'd by another Japanese car someday. Well, when we bought the X3, our sales rep said: "Once you've had a BMW, you will never drive anything else" He is right. Nothing else is a BMW...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

you should look into picking up a TDI, diesels are the most reliable motors and cheapest to maintain and by far best on gas, plus its ~ 10cents/litre cheaper. But I think your best bet (in relation to saving money) is to ride out the Altima. As far as the Honda, definitely a great third after riding out the Altima and considering a diesel.

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would go with TDI. Ecomomy cars as civic and kia would get you very boring on those long rides. VW is a step up at least. Also stuck in traffic, diesel cars may be better.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: