Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

How do I wire Angel Eyes without a relay?

OK, so I got this set of CCFL Angel Eyes as a gift (4 rings + 4 clips + 2 inverters), but NO relay, NO fuse...

All the DIY threads on this topic that I've found thus far show how to connect the rings using a relay...but what about if you don't have a relay? On the inverter it says (-) to ground and (+) power from DRL, so how exactly do I do that...open the ECU box and tap the (+) into the red/white + yellow stripe wire?...if yes, would that also dim my Angel Eyes to 30% power, as per the DRL?

Any help with wiring these without a relay would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

I found this "non-relay" setup on m3forum.net

"Tap in positive/negative wires to fuse box shown in picture. This will turn angel eyes on when ignition is on, turn them off about 10 seconds after ignition is off. After tapping wires, test lights again before you put all them together. Also, there is a small rubber cap that just fills up the hole, use that for your tap-in wires to go through, just put the rubber cap back in".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE_direct connection_ECU_box.jpg (59.9 KB, 187 views)

Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Here's a really good thread... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=905125

ALso, the attached pic shows where to connect it. I used the same connection and it comes on whenever I turn the ignition to "ON"....

Works great!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01016.jpg (80.8 KB, 182 views)
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
Here's a really good thread... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=905125

ALso, the attached pic shows where to connect it. I used the same connection and it comes on whenever I turn the ignition to "ON"....

Works great!!
Thx for the link...so, you've installed the AE without the relay? Did you use an extra fuse?

My kit cam w/o any relay or fuses, w/the following specs:
Angel Eyes: 12V/5A (Arms ?)
Inverter: 10.5-13.5V/ 0.85A

So I now have 2 questions:

1. When my engine runs, battery's voltage is 14.2-14.4V...the inverter says it's good for a max of 13.5V...any issues?
2. If I want to introduce an extra fuse on the (+) wire between the battery and inverter, what fuse should I use? The AE specs says it accepts 5A, while the inverter 0.85A...so, what amp value am I looking at?

Thx

Old 07-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
nachos23
SweetXi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockblock View Post
Thx for the link...so, you've installed the AE without the relay? Did you use an extra fuse?

1. When my engine runs, battery's voltage is 14.2-14.4V...the inverter says it's good for a max of 13.5V...any issues?
2. If I want to introduce an extra fuse on the (+) wire between the battery and inverter, what fuse should I use? The AE specs says it accepts 5A, while the inverter 0.85A...so, what amp value am I looking at?

Thx
Personally, I did not run any additional fuses. By connecting to the wire I've indicated, the circuit is fused through the fuse for that circuit. You should not connect the AE directly to battery because that would mean that the AEs would never turn off.... If you mean what amperage fuse to place inline with the connection I've shown, I'd try 2.5A if each inverter is rated to 0.85A. If you have a meter you can determine the current draw, however the question becomes if the 0.85A is steady current and if there is an increase (spike) while the AEs are starting up... Fuses are cheap. Start with 1A and go up from there... WOrst case, you blow a couple of fuses until you determine the rating that works without failing....
Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:

Thx
Sorry, missed part A. 13.5 is the nominal (avg) voltage cars operate with. ANy device connected to a car shoiuld be able to withstand 14V. Never did check the specs on my inverters, so not sure what they list. Have to get back to you in the AM on that one..
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Personally, I did not run any additional fuses. By connecting to the wire I've indicated, the circuit is fused through the fuse for that circuit. You should not connect the AE directly to battery because that would mean that the AEs would never turn off.... If you mean what amperage fuse to place inline with the connection I've shown, I'd try 2.5A if each inverter is rated to 0.85A. If you have a meter you can determine the current draw, however the question becomes if the 0.85A is steady current and if there is an increase (spike) while the AEs are starting up... Fuses are cheap. Start with 1A and go up from there... WOrst case, you blow a couple of fuses until you determine the rating that works without failing....
Ok, thx...I want to include an extra fuse, just to ensure extra safety to the inverters...also, if I have to change the fuse, it'll be easier to access...

Also, if the inverter is rated at .85A, does that mean that it needs to draw .85A to operate, or is it that it can handle max .85A...I'm trying to figure out the max. admissible amps that the inverter can take, hence put a fuse with that value so that any spikes over the max allowed current would kill the fuse before reaching the inverter...maybe I'm not thinking correctly?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Inverters just say: 10.5-13.5V/ 0.85A
For the Angel Eyes, here are the complete specs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE specs.jpg (75.6 KB, 172 views)

Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
nachos23
SweetXi

Cool

Quote:
Inverters just say: 10.5-13.5V/ 0.85A
For the Angel Eyes, here are the complete specs:
The inverters are 5mA (milliAmps), not 5amps. I would use a 1A fuse to start with. That would likely do the trick.... if it blows then, move up 0.5A...
Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
The inverters are 5mA (milliAmps), not 5amps. I would use a 1A fuse to start with. That would likely do the trick.... if it blows then, move up 0.5A...
First off, the inverters show .85A, it's the AE that I had some issues with...the instructions that came with my kit show Current [Arms] = 5.0 (see 1st pic)...I soon realized that it can't be true, so after doing some research I found that someone else had the same kit, but with Current [mArms] = 5.0 (see 2nd pic), which makes more sense...no?....given that the rest of the specs are identical, I figured it must have been a typo, that's why I posted the 2nd picture as being more realistic (I don't know what brand they are or where they came from as I received them as a gift)

I found a set of assorted flat fuses of 3,5,7.5,10,15,30A...I've noticed those kits that come with a relay + wiring harness also include a 5A fuse, so I guess I should go with 5A?...I've heard others have put 2A, while others 10A...I can't imaging the technology being that different amongst various CCFL brands, so maybe I should start with 3A?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE specs 1.JPG (152.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg AE specs.jpg (75.6 KB, 161 views)

Old 07-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

Ummm.... okay not to steal the thread or anything but my main concern with wiring with a relay is SAFTEY.

Because the relay comes with a fuse, I would strongly recommend installing a fuse. Especially with CCFL kits the inverters tend to burn. Like literally burn, and smoke and it would seem like your car is on fire. I've had this happen to my own personal vehicle twice and I spent the extra money, and upgraded to LED's.

That's just my 2 cents. Just be careful when using CCFL's.

Oh and go with a 5 AMP fuse.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Thx Steve

Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
If you mean what amperage fuse to place inline with the connection I've shown, I'd try 2.5A if each inverter is rated to 0.85A. If you have a meter you can determine the current draw, however the question becomes if the 0.85A is steady current and if there is an increase (spike) while the AEs are starting up... Fuses are cheap. Start with 1A and go up from there... WOrst case, you blow a couple of fuses until you determine the rating that works without failing....
OK, I managed to install my CCFL AE and went with a blade fuse... I measured the current and all 4 rings pull together a total of 1.4A...so, looks like 700mA/inverter, which is a bit less than nominal specs (850mA)...now, I'm not sure how high the spikes can be, but I figured not more than double the nominal draw, so I went with a 3A fuse and so far works great...as you say, if it blows I'll use a 5A

Last edited by Rockblock; 07-27-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Rockblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Are you doing the remote mod? You can make them turn on when you unlock the car by running a wire from the footwell light to the 12+ lead. Of course, you will need diodes on both 12+ leads.

I think there are some DIY's on E46Fanatics about this.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
Are you doing the remote mod? You can make them turn on when you unlock the car by running a wire from the footwell light to the 12+ lead. Of course, you will need diodes on both 12+ leads.

I think there are some DIY's on E46Fanatics about this.
No, for now I'm sticking to the switched power...too much hassle...I've also ordered some 7000k H7/55W to replace my stock low beam, see how they match...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: