Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
xsd_crew
2nd Gear Member

CosmoRacing-Coil Over EVO II Kits

Help!!
Can anyone give me any feed back on the above Coil Over Kit?
Are these worth investing in OR Does anyone have a set of
Lowering Springs?? All advice welcome and my max drop is 1.5".
Thanks
xsd_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
the price is so rediculously low you don't have much to lose. Ive heard mixed reviews, but nothing really negative from owners, just that theres nothing special. They lower your car, ok for daily and autox but not serious racing(from what I hear). It would be nice if they were anodized but you can't expect gold for $200US. I'm planning on a set for one of my IXs
If you can find a nice used set of lowering springs you're better off going that way since you'll need to do some extra mods to get the kit to fit.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
archins
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Skype™ to archins
200$ thats only springs or with shocks???

BMWMPOWER.LATVIA
archins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
I've recently purchased a Camber kit from Cosmo. It was trash. I had seen Cosmo products for other work I had done (lowering, CAI, etc) and their products appeared a little questionable from the specs, so I avoided.... Recently I came across their camber kit and it appeared good considering it was considerably less than other similar products on the market. Well it was trash!! Once we attempted to install we clearly saw why the product was so cheap; because it was..... Never installed and wasted my $$$..... For my Xi I used H+R Springs and Bilstien struts/shocks. H+R Makes an excellent coilover product....... In a component as critical as your suspension, do you really want to cut corners and buy an inferior product to save a few $$$?

For guys with Xi models, look very carefully!!! Most mfgs do not support the Xi model. H+R and Bilstein support it. Eibach for instance does not. If you read the specs on the Cosmo kit, it too DOES NOT support Xi models......
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
archins
2nd Gear Member

I have E30 iX I drive with that car only few moth a year, I try lower this car but no result, so now I looking for coilover but for iX have very small offer this cosmo but if it's trush. Maybe somebody knows other options or have used kit

BMWMPOWER.LATVIA
Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
xsd_crew
2nd Gear Member

Cosmoracing - junk

Thanks for the feedback,and yes i think i will pass on
the cheap offering - You Get What U Pay For!!!
My search goes on.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

If your looking to get quite low, focus on finding a short enough shock first.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
archins
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
If your looking to get quite low, focus on finding a short enough shock first.
that will be my next step now I have on front -60mm on 50mm bilstein, if that option will be bad then I put coil

BMWMPOWER.LATVIA
Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
nachos23
SweetXi

Try these on for size. H&R Cup Suspension: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...UCT_ID=31005-2

A little more than Cosmo Racing, but a quality product. A buddy who runs a BMW aftermarket shop highly recommends these.

Or go separates as I did: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...6LATESPSETMONO together with: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...UCT_ID=29824-2

If you look around, you can get the Bilsteins cheaper. Their H&R Price is quite good.....

My two cents.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
nachos23
SweetXi

My set as for an 2004 330Xi, so I was also limited by brands, but, if you check around alot of maXbimmer members are running this combo..... Runs Excellent.... I added an AC Schnitcher strut bar to complete the package.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
xsd_crew
2nd Gear Member

E 30 lowering suspension

This is how my car looks now with the 17" on and I figure
with a 1.6" drop in front and 1.4" on the rear I'll be fine!!
Thanks to all for your opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More 90 003.jpg (345.2 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg More 90 004.jpg (348.1 KB, 837 views)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
nachos23
SweetXi

I've attached 2 pcs (before and after) of my car. I have the 17" wheels too. 1.5" works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Front.jpg (165.0 KB, 821 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1940.jpg (120.2 KB, 815 views)
Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
I've recently purchased a Camber kit from Cosmo. It was trash. I had seen Cosmo products for other work I had done (lowering, CAI, etc) and their products appeared a little questionable from the specs, so I avoided.... Recently I came across their camber kit and it appeared good considering it was considerably less than other similar products on the market. Well it was trash!! Once we attempted to install we clearly saw why the product was so cheap; because it was..... Never installed and wasted my $$$..... For my Xi I used H+R Springs and Bilstien struts/shocks. H+R Makes an excellent coilover product....... In a component as critical as your suspension, do you really want to cut corners and buy an inferior product to save a few $$$?

For guys with Xi models, look very carefully!!! Most mfgs do not support the Xi model. H+R and Bilstein support it. Eibach for instance does not. If you read the specs on the Cosmo kit, it too DOES NOT support Xi models......
I think you need to look a little closer too, we are not talking about Xi models but IX. VERY different and Cosmo has a coilover setup specifically for the E30 IX. But that doesn't change the fact that they could be poor quality. Secondly, what made the camber kits junk? bolt pattern wrong? poor adjustability? for a useful post it would be nice to know the reason. Perhaps they sent you the wrong ones. Did they give you hard time when you tried to return them? Thirdly, Coilovers, like the ones cosmos makes, are very simple - some adjustable sleeves, springs and upper perches - it would be hard to screw that up if you're using the right materials. I've got a car that I'm going to test these on(e30 IX) and if they wont fit or they're poor quality, I will send them back.
I'm still not saying they're good or bad quality until I see them for myself.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

From what i've heard its not a problem with the adjusters, although there could be for a few reasons if the design isn't good. Apparently the springs sag alot, within weeks and the worst of it being it isn't an even effect.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
From what i've heard its not a problem with the adjusters, although there could be for a few reasons if the design isn't good. Apparently the springs sag alot, within weeks and the worst of it being it isn't an even effect.
Well that would be balls. That should be considered a quality defect and warrantiable. If I do order a set, I will speak with them to make sure this sort of thing is covered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: