Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Single Exhaust from the down pipe

I have to get a new exhaust made, the systems I have laying around have resonators that are going to develop holes in no time and mufflers that will essentially have that same problem as well.

So I've come to the point where I want something new made, I cut the down pipe right before it splits into two to go to the flange to the cats.

So I'm trying to figure out, what would be a suitable size of muffler piping all the way back in order to let the car breathe adequately. Stock is 2.25 I believe on each pipe and so he next thing up would be 2.5 as I would tend to think 2.5 would be a bit too small to run a single pipe all the way back?

2.75 I think would be getting a bit excessive but I'm asking for opinions so please share some insight, the motor is a stock m50b25.

I'm also looking at picking up a good size resonator as well any suggestions on that I've found one at 16" that would suit my application but if any of you guys have done the same and found it excessively loud please speak out.

Some extra info that may help, I plan on using a Cat and a muffler in this system as well, so nothing will really be missing from this setup except that it will be single instead of dual.

Thanks
-Dan

95 530i|Modifications - Work.

Last edited by ACS_DAN; 07-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Porter86
shiftin gears

Send a message via MSN to Porter86
is that going to work? do you not need the proper back pressure from the two sizes? or are you going to re tune the engine? from my understand with exhaust,and than bimmers with the balancer's, that the exhaust provided the proper back pressure, so most people go bigger, or open up the cats. if ur minimizing it to 1 exhaust at only 1/4 inch wider in diameter that may not add enough back pressure?
Porter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
^^? Huh? A smaller exhaust will add more backpressure... So if his "single" exhaust is in effect, too small, he would have too much backpressure.

Sorry I don't have much to add to the original question but I don't really understand why you want to do a single exhaust back. P.S. What exhaust system are you running now and are you getting rid of it?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
No problem, widening up the pipe by a quarter of an inch is not really a miniscule difference when it comes to piping, I'm not running a Turbo so I don't think there is a need for excessively large piping but, hey lets see what more people say.

I cut the down pipe right before it splits into two before the cats because those flange bolts were ****ed.

So during the swap some parts got lost, that piece being one of them. So I'm looking at the rest of my exhaust system (stock 17 year old Cat back, it's stock by the way. off my touring) It is looking pretty tired, so I'm thinking I might just re-do the whole thing.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Porter86
shiftin gears

Send a message via MSN to Porter86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
^^? Huh? A smaller exhaust will add more backpressure... So if his "single" exhaust is in effect, too small, he would have too much backpressure.

Sorry I don't have much to add to the original question but I don't really understand why you want to do a single exhaust back. P.S. What exhaust system are you running now and are you getting rid of it?
yeah that is right, i do not know what i was thinking,lol. well that made me look an idiot. lol.

(i saw civic today at work driving along wilson ave and keele and i guess he punched it while i was looking out at the road, and i thought a bomb exploded and fire came out his exhaust lol.)
Porter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
^^ lol

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote